Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Checking Moonroof for Leaks

Old 06-27-2017, 06:19 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Checking Moonroof for Leaks

Picking up my ordered '17 Platinum tomorrow.

Want to check the moonroof for leaks before signing. I'm sure for every 1 truck that leaks there are 1000's that dont but....

Anyway want verify it is good to start with.

Hit a car wash with the sales guy?
Old 06-27-2017, 06:37 PM

Received 646 Likes on 498 Posts

Carwash Is a smart idea!
The following users liked this post:
NeedHP (06-27-2017)
Old 06-27-2017, 07:10 PM
Ezekiel 25:17

Received 2,371 Likes on 1,215 Posts

If you do that you will see some drips coming into the drain channels. That's what it's designed to do so don't freak out like everyone else.
Old 06-27-2017, 07:45 PM

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

I ran a water hose over mine on my 15 Lariat after the dealership "fixed" it. Check the grab handles on the pillars and you could even pull the door sill covers and see if water is making it down under the wiring harness there (mine had water make it there.) I had water coming out of the passenger grab handle (the lower bolt cover), the rear window switch in the center overhead panel, and also out of the plastic trim just above where the passenger side fuse panel is located (under the F150 vent logo). I didn't do any high pressure on it. Just let the hose run over the panel to simulate rain like we have been getting here in North Florida when I would notice water in my cab.

Really disappointed with the leaking. Best of luck to you and hopefully you won't have to deal with any of it!
Attached Thumbnails Checking Moonroof for Leaks-img_1467.jpg   Checking Moonroof for Leaks-img_1466.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
NeedHP (06-27-2017)
Old 06-27-2017, 09:34 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

So sounds like if it is going to leak it water intrudes the cab fairly quickly?

Not paranoid just want to do my due diligence before while I have the most leverage (prior to writing the check).
Old 06-28-2017, 07:41 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

A while back I was going through a wash and my daughter said she was getting dripped on. My dealer has a tech that specializes in body seals - they checked it out and said they found no leaks. It was November when my daughter felt the drips, so it's possible it was condensation. Since then I open the shade and watch while going through the wash - I haven't seen it leaking so hopefully it's not an issue.

I can see light streams of water that come in on the sides of the seals when under high pressure spray - I thought I had a leaker until the dealer told me it's normal. They said it is designed to collect that water and it dumps into a gutter system but I don't know where it drains.
Old 06-28-2017, 08:21 AM

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

More often than not leakage in to the cab is caused by blockage in the drain tube system. This happened to me about 1 year after buying my 2015 Lariat and then happened to me again just 2 weeks ago. The 1st time the dealer fixed it and the 2nd time I removed the blockage myself. Ford says nothing about performing any kind of maintenance on these drains but it seems to me if F150 owners want to keep their feet dry we're going to have to test these lines at least once or twice a year to make sure there aren't any blockages. I think it's ridiculous but what are ya gonna do. The electronics on my drivers side have been drenched twice now and I can't afford to let it happen again. I'm amazed I didn't have a major electrical short with either of my cab floods and when I say flood I'm not exaggerating 😡
Old 06-28-2017, 09:46 AM

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

I had a 2010 dodge ram that this constantly happened to, major reason I did not buy one again, this sux
Old 06-29-2017, 08:36 AM

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by BRONCO-150
I had a 2010 dodge ram that this constantly happened to, major reason I did not buy one again, this sux
Yeah this is not a Ford only issue. All the car companies use a similar design and if just one of the drain lines clog you're screwed. You'd think that for as long as they've been putting these things in vehicles somebody would have invented a much better mousetrap by now.
Old 07-02-2017, 06:29 AM

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Cant believe that.

Search this Thread