Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Changing Front and Rear Ford Emblems

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2018, 07:26 PM

Received 2,888 Likes on 1,094 Posts

Default Changing Front and Rear Ford Emblems

I want to change the front and rear Ford emblems on my 2018 F150 to something that matches my magnetic paint truck color a little better.
How hard/easy is it to remove the stock emblems and install new ones?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2017-18-For...kAAOSwXkNaWk8V

Last edited by ManMountainDean; 03-24-2018 at 09:35 PM.
Old 03-24-2018, 08:24 PM

Received 50 Likes on 42 Posts

All you need is some 40lb fishing line, a few plastic (non-marring) trim tools, Goo Gone and probably some bug & tar remover. I did mine on a 80° day otherwise you might also need the wife's hair dryer to warm the emblem up a bit. Use the fishing line to slice thru the foam backing - gloves are a necessity here. There are body pins so you won't be able to slice right across the fender emblems. Then I used some plastic trim tools to help pry out the emblem clips (carefully). Use the Goo Gone to help remove what's left of the foam backing and the bug & tar remover to finally clean off the paint surface. Dunno about your truck but my tailgate emblem was just individual pieces you could slice through right across. I replaced my fender badges with LOBO versions and applied a large LOBO badge under the tailgate Ford oval. Looks nice. Just had a contractor working at my place this week and one of the guys who drives a Ford truck noticed the tags and asked what the hell LOBO meant. I think in the last year only 4 people have noticed them, including a parts guy at my Ford dealership. Also did the programming change to the instrument panel to get the LOBO animation and insignia onscreen. Take your time. If you're applying anything on the tailgate, make sure the truck is sitting level and then use a level to get whatever emblem you have *****-on-dead-accurate as Marissa would say.
The following users liked this post:
ManMountainDean (03-24-2018)
Old 03-24-2018, 10:17 PM

Received 39 Likes on 25 Posts

For the front emblem, you have to remove the grille. YouTube is your friend for the how-to.
Old 03-24-2018, 11:07 PM

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

I did my own. Just remove yours and if you have a little know how you can get it done. If removing your grille doesn't seem worrisome to you the emblems aren't that big of a deal. All you need is a dremmel with a bit that can chew through plastic. All of the blue separates from the chrome. Then a little Scuff with a fine scotch brite and a can or two of paint. You can get a really good quality 2k clear in an aerosol can from a paint supply shop for around 20 bucks and there are a couple of websites that put factory basecoat colors in aerosol as well. I use automotivetouchup.com. Magnetic metallic has a few different factory paint codes. Ours is J7. I think it varies slightly from the earlier magnetic in that it seems to have a touch more flake in it.
Haven't done the tailgate yet so not sure about removal back there. I just used a little two part plastic epoxy to glue it back up. Be sparing with it so it doesn't ooze out all over your work.
Old 03-25-2018, 09:46 AM

Received 232 Likes on 172 Posts

I just did my emblems. With the front emblem once you get the grille off you have to take the grille shutter assembly off of the grille. Be very careful doing this as it is easy to brake the plastic tabs the studs are in that bolts the shutter to the grille. For the tailgate emblem I just used a trim removal tool to pry it off. Didnt heat it or anything and almost none of the adhesive stuck to the tailgate. If you had had your truck for awhile it might stick more then mine did I did it the same day I brought it home from the dealer
Old 03-25-2018, 09:52 AM

Received 2,888 Likes on 1,094 Posts

The front sounds like a real PIA. I think I will just do the tailgate first.
Thank you guys for all the good information.
Old 03-25-2018, 05:46 PM

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Garnet
Also did the programming change to the instrument panel to get the LOBO animation and insignia onscreen.
How did you get the LOBO Animation to stay on your screen?
Old 03-25-2018, 07:08 PM

Received 50 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by cmaddox
How did you get the LOBO Animation to stay on your screen?
The animation only appears briefly at ignition ON. Then you get the static LOBO display when changing around menu screens.
Old 03-25-2018, 07:34 PM

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Garnet
The animation only appears briefly at ignition ON. Then you get the static LOBO display when changing around menu screens.
How did you get it to change?
Old 03-25-2018, 08:29 PM

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by mdphotographer
I just did my emblems. With the front emblem once you get the grille off you have to take the grille shutter assembly off of the grille. Be very careful doing this as it is easy to brake the plastic tabs the studs are in that bolts the shutter to the grille. For the tailgate emblem I just used a trim removal tool to pry it off. Didnt heat it or anything and almost none of the adhesive stuck to the tailgate. If you had had your truck for awhile it might stick more then mine did I did it the same day I brought it home from the dealer
Just go to Harbor Freight and get the extension set for 1/4" drive. The long one in the set makes it possible to do without removing the shutters. +1 on the be careful with the emblem tabs. DO NOT USE A DRILL OR MINI IMPACT. HAND TOOLS ONLY GO SLOW. It's not that big of a PITA. just time consuming. You can get it done in an hour or less.

Quick Reply: Changing Front and Rear Ford Emblems