Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ceramic Tint on Sunroof- Pros/Cons

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2018, 12:32 AM

Received 45 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Ceramic Tint on Sunroof- Pros/Cons

Hey guys, gonna get llumar nano ceramic window tint before summer, and am a little leary on tinting the sunroof. Any feedback would be helpful.
Old 03-08-2018, 12:44 AM

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

I asked my tint guy about tinting the sunroof and he said they typically don’t tint them because they’re more prone to cracking
Old 03-08-2018, 05:40 AM

Received 275 Likes on 239 Posts

Originally Posted by Tn.Lariat
Hey guys, gonna get llumar nano ceramic window tint before summer, and am a little leary on tinting the sunroof. Any feedback would be helpful.
Why are you leery?
Old 03-08-2018, 09:12 AM

Received 45 Likes on 21 Posts

I've googled tinting sunroof and found reviews say that the tint retains a lot of heat and may cause glass to shatter. But they also say not on tempered glass.
Old 03-08-2018, 09:29 AM

Received 141 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by Tn.Lariat

Ask about Llumar Air 80. It's nearly clear, they say doesn't retain heat like a tinted film. I have it on my sunroof, and it cooled the interior down ALOT. Totally happy with it.
The following users liked this post:
Tn.Lariat (03-08-2018)
Old 03-08-2018, 01:59 PM

Received 169 Likes on 126 Posts

I have 3m Crystalline 90 on my Pano and windshield - it's clear and blocks heat well.

Ford uses tempered glass for the Pano and it's also not fixed glass in metal frame, both aspects that have caused issues with other roofs in the past when tinted as fixed sunroofs retain more heat. Tesla, for example, doesn't recommend any heat film on their pano roofs, because they are large and fixed-frame and retain more heat. Interestingly Ford got sued a few years back over the Escape pano roof shattering (film or no film) which ended up being due to poor quality bonds in the glass. They did a recall if I remember right.
Old 03-08-2018, 02:12 PM

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by planetix
I have 3m Crystalline 90 on my Pano and windshield - it's clear and blocks heat well.

Ford uses tempered glass for the Pano and it's also not fixed glass in metal frame, both aspects that have caused issues with other roofs in the past when tinted as fixed sunroofs retain more heat. Tesla, for example, doesn't recommend any heat film on their pano roofs, because they are large and fixed-frame and retain more heat. Interestingly Ford got sued a few years back over the Escape pano roof shattering (film or no film) which ended up being due to poor quality bonds in the glass. They did a recall if I remember right.
good to know! Looks like I’ll be tinting mine
Old 03-08-2018, 08:01 PM

Received 2,719 Likes on 2,056 Posts

Originally Posted by planetix

Both glass panels are Laminated. In fact I think the only glass that is still tempered is the rear window.

I may look into that clear tint for mine since I now have a black interior, it gets a lot hotter in the summer than my 14 with Camel ever did.
Old 03-08-2018, 08:42 PM

Received 169 Likes on 126 Posts

I believe based on research that they switched after the class action suit a few years ago (for the Escape) that was a direct result of the problem with laminated glass overheating in the roof. I could be wrong - don't work for Ford.
Old 03-09-2018, 02:12 PM

Received 430 Likes on 329 Posts

I think the tint holding in the heat is a bit of a scape goat response too though.

at any rate all glass on a car is a laminated product of some form even the back glass (maybe not the small slider) and is fairly resilient. If you do put a tint on the glass I would recommend one of the heat rejection films more so than a traditional tint. They are made to reject the IR spectrum of light, prevents heat build up, and works better than regular tint.

Quick Reply: Ceramic Tint on Sunroof- Pros/Cons