Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Center Console Swap Details

Old 07-23-2016, 10:45 PM
gbk

Received 114 Likes on 74 Posts
Wink Center Console Swap Details

I just did the console swap on my '15 XLT

Sorry no pics, once you've seen one console, you've seen them all.

With everything fully functional.
Rear AC
All power outlets
Sync and glove box lighting

In case anyone is wanting to do this swap....

Rear AC
At first I was thinking I would have to cut the existing rear duct under the seats and tap into that.... DO NOT.Like an idiot I ended up cutting some carpet only to later find out the rear console duct already exists behind the dash.Someone told me that was the only way to get the console AC to work... Whoever that was, i hate you Anyways, this requires you to buy at least two new Ford parts both are ducts which connect to the existing AC outlet behind the radio. AC is already running to the rear seats by a duct that runs under the seats however there is another duct that is sealed off behind the radio, simply open it up and connect your new ducts parts there. It's a little tricky to get the console duct to align properly with your new extension parts but you'll eventually get it. I also recommend black duct tape because there is a slight air leak behind the dashboard and it creates a little bit of moisture even if you don't decide to hook up the new ducts. Also the new ducts might require some tape as well to prevent leaks because those things pretty much just sit inside of each other with no real support other than some foam inside.

Power Outlets and Lighting
To get all 3 power outlets to work you'll need to order at least one new part which is a connection harness, and that will have everything you'll need or at least it seems. In my case I had all the connections and all the 12v outlets worked except the interior lighting in the Sync door and the arm rest glove box. The new harness will connect to the same power source that the old harness from the jumper seat was connected. Even though I had all the connections those two plugs did not have any power going to them for some reason, maybe I purchased the wrong harness or my truck simply wasn't pre-wired for those connections so even with the new harness I was tapping into an unpowered source. So long story short I simply cut the wires coming from the micro switches that are attached to the bulbs and I tapped them into the 12v powered source. Anyways, it's not hard once you know what you're supposed to do. In your case maybe your harness will be fully powered and that last step might not be necessary. If you somehow short the connections you might blow a fuse which are not common cartridge fuses ($5 each) connected to the 12v lighter ports OR you might blow the the actual micro switch that activates the bulb when you open the door using a level switch, FORD does NOT sell these micro switches on their own so you'll have to buy a third party micro switch and retrofit it (don't ask me how I know).

Jump Seat Removal
You unbolt the center jump seat, I think it has 3 bolts, one of them was a little hard to get to but no big deal. Unplug it from the power source under the jump seat, make sure not to damage anything electrical because you will absolutely need it later... and you're done! At least with the removal.

Console Install
The installation of the console is not hard if you have all the necessary parts. And yes you do need new parts. At the very least 3 new parts. Considering you have a pre-assembled console otherwise good f'ing luck!

2 side trim pieces for vents
1 bottom dashboard trim cover

The two trims that need to be replaced are the ones covering the vents and any controls you have under your vents such as diff dial and backup trailer, in my case my XLT only has a coin holder and a power outlet so I just needed the most basic trim piece. So it's two trims, one for the left vent and one for the right vent. The third piece that need to be changed is a trim that goes under the climate controls and above the console, basically if you don't have this piece you'll see a huge empty gap between your console and your dash. I've seen one post where the guy decided to create his own trim piece and cut his own vent pieces, I don't recommend this but it's up to you. As far as price, you might end up spending up to $100-200 on all 3 pieces.

Console install with no Power or AC
If you decide you don't need console lighting or you also don't need the console AC to work, then the install should be incredibly simple and quick! However if you decide NOT to use the console AC then you might consider buying the rear console trim piece, it basically just replaces the rear panel so that you don't have any vents but still has the 12v port. That way nobody gets into your truck and complains that the backseat vents don't work.

Lastly...
I know, I know, some of you might have the urge to ask me for all the part numbers BUT! I think it might be better if I didn't because there are TONS of different truck configurations from features to colors and each configuration has a different part number so I don't want you guys to buy the wrong parts.

I'll be happy to answer any questions unrelated to part numbers
The following 2 users liked this post by gbk:
16XLT (07-23-2016), MrLytle (05-09-2022)
Old 07-23-2016, 11:36 PM

Received 96 Likes on 83 Posts

Thank you! Specifically the AC parts. That is been my hang up before jumping on this switch.
Old 07-23-2016, 11:48 PM

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

Would love to swap my jump seat for the console. Wish I could find a complete console locally instead of on ebay.
Old 07-24-2016, 02:31 AM
gbk

Originally Posted by Losrocket
Would love to swap my jump seat for the console. Wish I could find a complete console locally instead of on ebay.
I purchased mine from ebay, you pretty much have to be absolutely sure you want to do the swap because returning it will definitely be a bitch to do.

Mine came with a few minor scratches but pretty much unnoticeable for the most part, also I was able to make a counter-offer and ended up getting it for about half of the original asking price.
Old 07-24-2016, 02:38 AM
gbk

Originally Posted by 16XLT
Thank you! Specifically the AC parts. That is been my hang up before jumping on this switch.

Yeah the hardest part about the swap is definitely the AC install. Even after having all the parts it's a pain in the *** to get in there and connect everything because there's very little space to move and even though I didn't remove anything you'll probably have to remove the radio and the climate controls from the dash to really get in there and remove the cover from the duct and then connect the extension duct. I decided to do it the hard way and didn't remove the climate controls which only made it harder.
Old 07-24-2016, 11:03 AM

Received 96 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by gbk
Yeah the hardest part about the swap is definitely the AC install. Even after having all the parts it's a pain in the *** to get in there and connect everything because there's very little space to move and even though I didn't remove anything you'll probably have to remove the radio and the climate controls from the dash to really get in there and remove the cover from the duct and then connect the extension duct. I decided to do it the hard way and didn't remove the climate controls which only made it harder.
Any chance you have pictures or at least the parts diagram of where the extension connects ?
Old 07-24-2016, 11:18 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This is the mod that I would love to do on my 2015 XL. I dont mind the center jump seat, but a console with the storage would be much more practical. I'm hoping shops near me will start doing this conversion. Looks like center consoles are still hard to come by though.
Old 07-24-2016, 01:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm thinking I might just install the console and say forget the Ac and cover it up, so long as j can find the part to do so. Will make everything much easier in my opinion.
Old 07-24-2016, 08:43 PM

Received 146 Likes on 115 Posts

since doing the conversion from center seat to console do you think there would be any way to keep center seat and just add the rear AC vents. It would be nice for the rear passengers to have the vents when the center seat is up. Not sure what Ford was thinking when they left them out.
Old 07-26-2016, 08:24 PM
gbk

Originally Posted by ray318
since doing the conversion from center seat to console do you think there would be any way to keep center seat and just add the rear AC vents. It would be nice for the rear passengers to have the vents when the center seat is up. Not sure what Ford was thinking when they left them out.
Nope sorry not possible. However the rear seats already get AC, the airflow comes out of the bottom of the front bucket seats that's where the ducts are. To activate the rear AC you'll have to press a button located in the climate controls that turns on the rear seat AC. It's not as good as airflow coming from directional vents but it's good enough to get some air back there.
The following users liked this post:
ray318 (07-27-2016)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Center Console Swap Details