Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cargo Rack on top of bed

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2015, 08:46 PM

Received 104 Likes on 54 Posts
Default Cargo Rack on top of bed

Hi all,

Wanted to share my latest project. I'll be going on my yearly family vacation this year down to the beach. Now with a baby in my life, there's a ton more crap I need to haul down with us. Looking for more storage, I came up with this idea, and found a build online that I mirrored.

http://www.rackattack.com/blog/post/...ewcab-bed-rack

I also have a 60" x 30" tray that will plug into my trailer hitch for additional storage.

Don't worry, I wont over load. Majority of the stuff is large/light weight (strollers, beach chairs, coolers, etc....)

Nice thing about these set up is they are easily removable/can keep for the next truck. If I bought a truck cap, that would have to go with the truck...and changing vehicles every two years could get costly.

The following 4 users liked this post by daaaaaan:
BleedinFordblue (06-29-2020), rider_marc (09-08-2019), thomas.p.abney (12-07-2015), Twin snail putput (04-07-2020)
Old 08-05-2015, 08:51 PM

Received 42 Likes on 26 Posts

That looks awesome. How much did it set you back?
Old 08-05-2015, 08:52 PM

Received 104 Likes on 54 Posts

Old 10-05-2016, 05:20 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Very cool. This is what I've been looking into but I'm curious about the tracks you mounted onto the bed beside the cover. Where did you buy those and how are they mounted?
Old 10-06-2016, 04:55 AM

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by daaaaaan
Hi all,

Wanted to share my latest project. I'll be going on my yearly family vacation this year down to the beach. Now with a baby in my life, there's a ton more crap I need to haul down with us. Looking for more storage, I came up with this idea, and found a build online that I mirrored.

http://www.rackattack.com/blog/post/...ewcab-bed-rack

I also have a 60" x 30" tray that will plug into my trailer hitch for additional storage.

Don't worry, I wont over load. Majority of the stuff is large/light weight (strollers, beach chairs, coolers, etc....)

Nice thing about these set up is they are easily removable/can keep for the next truck. If I bought a truck cap, that would have to go with the truck...and changing vehicles every two years could get costly.

Originally Posted by cutterp
Very cool. This is what I've been looking into but I'm curious about the tracks you mounted onto the bed beside the cover. Where did you buy those and how are they mounted?
Pretty much exactly what I've been looking for as well. My concern has been the channels/ridges on the bed rail caps that have no sort of alignment/continuity along the bed. Any other pics of just the rails and how they are mounted?
Old 10-06-2016, 10:39 AM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Yeah I'm wondering if the plastic bed rail caps pop off and the track racks are just mounted to the plastic? Or were the yakima nuts just installed through the metal as well.

Do you have to cut a channel for the trackrack in the plastic or do people just mount in on top of the cap regardless of the groves in the bed rail cap?
Old 10-06-2016, 06:18 PM

Received 118 Likes on 87 Posts

Here are the install instructions for the kit. You have to drill through the bed rails to anchor the rail. If you click on the link page down below you will see how they do it on the roof you would do something very similar on the truck rail. The other pic I saw different web site had an anchor which I am sure is like a nut/washer going under the rail.

Here is an online install manual:

http://lib.store.yahoo.net/lib/orsra...184.1475791393
Old 10-06-2016, 06:53 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I did the same thing - Yakima rack mounted on a Rollbak. works great!
Old 10-06-2016, 07:32 PM

Received 55 Likes on 33 Posts

I want to do this. Curious which hardware was included with the installed tracks and if it was long enough to support going through rail and the plastic cover or did the OP use different hardware.
Old 10-06-2016, 07:54 PM

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by OneLap
I want to do this. Curious which hardware was included with the installed tracks and if it was long enough to support going through rail and the plastic cover or did the OP use different hardware.
^^^ What he said, and I still would like to see how the rail fits into the groove on the cap. Seems like it would sit down in between the raised part on one end and be raised up on top on the other.
Thanks to the poster that provided the pdf mounting instructions. I've been trying to figure out if people were using screws/bolts /rivets, but what they show seems like a pretty good option.

Quick Reply: Cargo Rack on top of bed