Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car Wash Scratched My New 2018

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2018, 08:38 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Car Wash Scratched My New 2018

Last week I decided to go through a car wash as it was a nice day and to get that salt off. Went to a Shell touchless that I have never been to before. I enter my pin and put the truck into neutral. Car wash proceeds to soap my vehicle then all of a sudden the machine turns off. I thought to myself oh that's kinda odd as that has never happened to me before but these things do happen. I wait about 3-4 min as I am just sitting there. Old guy behind me even honks at me as I am blocking the wash but I guess he didn't realize the machine turned off. So I decide to put my vehicle into drive and drive out of there to get another wash from the employee. Upon the exit there are these plastic wind flaps. I drive through them pretty slowly thinking nothing if it. I hop out and go to the employee and told him what happened and he even saw my truck was still partly covered in soap. He said yeah no problem here's another wash. Second time works perfectly normal but I hop out to look over the truck and it's just covered in scratches. The hood, mirror caps, roof, the doors, the bed, even the window deflectors. I was furious and asked myself how did this even happen and I realized it had to be the plastic flaps when I exited the first time. Since the machine was off, it did not recognize my vehicle was there so it did not open automatically as it usually should. I complain to the employee and he apologized but said that I would have to speak to the manager. Truck is brand new and didn't even have 500km at the time of this incident. I speak to the manager after a couple of days since it was a long weekend. She said I would have to deal with Shell insurance and that she would pass on my information to them. Shell insurance calls me the next day and asks me what happened and wants pictures and a quote for the damages. I get quoted $3000+ and guy says it's almost to the point where the truck might as well be repainted as in some spots it's penetrated the clear coat. I email everything to Shell and I get an email back stating that they will NOT be covering the damages and that I was negligent and that I should have honked, called the store or gotten out of my vehicle and tell the employee.

What a load of bs. What if I did honk but he can't hear me. What if my phone was dead or I didnt have one or I don't have data to look up the phone number for the store. How can they expect me to get out of my vehicle in the middle of a car wash? Is that not a safety concern?

TLDR : Went through car wash, machine turned off, exited myself, plastic flaps upon exit scratched my truck all over, Shell insurance won't cover damages as I was "negligent"

Sorry for the long post but I just had to vent my frustration and anger. Called my insurance and they said I would have to pay the deductible of $500 and they will cover everything. My rates won't be affected. So I guess I will be going this route.
Old 02-25-2018, 08:42 AM

Received 90 Likes on 42 Posts

A letter from a lawyer will likely fix your issue. Their list of alternatives should bite them in the ***. How they recommend someone get out of their car, and potentially killed, is beyond me.
Old 02-25-2018, 08:46 AM

Here are some of the pictures I took. I feel like the pictures don't do justice of how bad the scratches really are.

Last edited by xViLLn; 02-25-2018 at 09:03 AM.
Old 02-25-2018, 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by DougNuts
A letter from a lawyer will likely fix your issue. Their list of alternatives should bite them in the ***. How they recommend someone get out of their car, and potentially killed, is beyond me.
I really want to take them to small claims court and everyone I talk to said the same but I would be at a loss in lawyer fees. Cheaper to pay my insurance the $500 and they would cover everything and call it a day.
Old 02-25-2018, 09:01 AM

Received 201 Likes on 106 Posts

Everyone will tell you to do it but if they had the choice to pay a $500 deductible vs. go through the time and expense of a law suite, they would do the same. I know I would if I could get it fixed and make it go away.

And man, I'd be pissed also. Good luck with the repaint!
Old 02-25-2018, 09:03 AM
Gone Golfin

Received 2,270 Likes on 1,391 Posts

At least where I live there are plenty of Lawyers that will do a free consultation. Find one and see what they say. I'd bet a law suit would change Shell's insurance company's mind on covering your car. Can't imagine that this route would cost more than the $500 you're about to pay out. You may even come out ahead on the deal.

ME: I wouldn't let these idiots off the hook this easy. Their adjuster is just doing his job turning you down, that's what they get paid to do. Most people just give up which is what they're hoping you do. I'd make a little more effort and go after them.
The following users liked this post:
xViLLn (02-25-2018)
Old 02-25-2018, 09:18 AM

Received 5,989 Likes on 3,553 Posts

Go with your insurance. Staying in vehicle and beeping is norm.
Old 02-25-2018, 09:19 AM

Received 166 Likes on 87 Posts

Sorry to see this on your new truck.....I feel your pain...I would probably contact my insurance and see what they have to say.....After seeing pics of the guys antenna ripped out of the fender and now this I have to say to myself why not hand wash at one of those car washers with the power hose....It works for me when I cant wash in my driveway...I live in a cold climate also and use one all the time to remove the road grime & salt...I would never run any of my vehicles thru a car wash but that's just me....Hope things work out for you
xViLLn (02-25-2018)
Old 02-25-2018, 09:51 AM

Received 243 Likes on 162 Posts

I would at least go back to Shell and request/demand that they pay the $500 deductible. Seems very reasonable to me, and you're doing them a favor by having your insurance cover the rest.

I don't know about Canada, but in every US state in which I've lived, small claims court is designed for people to get a minor judgement at minimal cost and without a lawyer. And Shell is not going to go to court for $500. If they get a summons to small claims court, they will pay up.
xViLLn (02-25-2018)
Old 02-25-2018, 09:55 AM
2018 XL Sport 4x4

Received 199 Likes on 125 Posts

that ain't a car wash, that's a butcher shop! good grief. OP - hope it all works out for you.
xViLLn (02-25-2018)

Quick Reply: Car Wash Scratched My New 2018