Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car & Truck Theft Mystery Uncovered

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2016, 08:30 PM

Received 535 Likes on 393 Posts

Default Car & Truck Theft Mystery Uncovered

http://www.foxnews.com/auto/2016/12/...uncovered.html
Old 12-08-2016, 08:50 PM
Save the Manuals!

Received 1,058 Likes on 492 Posts

Thankful for my XLT with a real key.
Old 12-09-2016, 04:42 AM
Super Hero

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by gatorblue92
Thankful for my XLT with a real key.
Or just take your key fob with you and don't leave it in the truck.

"It is actually two devices working together. The first intercepts the signal from a nearby proximity key fob, either being carried by someone or left in a car, and transfers it to the other, which can then be used to open the lock and start the vehicle. "
Old 12-09-2016, 06:22 AM
OakenFall

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

if you still have an actual key that you have to insert and turn...that unlocks the steering column as well as start the engine.
so they would still need to put a key in or jam something in and turn the ignition switch to drive away with your vehicle.
my 2015 has a fob with a flip out actual key.
#killswitch
Old 12-09-2016, 06:49 AM
Okie Coupe

Received 209 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by CaptainAmericaRob
if you still have an actual key that you have to insert and turn...that unlocks the steering column as well as start the engine.
so they would still need to put a key in or jam something in and turn the ignition switch to drive away with your vehicle.
my 2015 has a fob with a flip out actual key.
#killswitch

Some newer vehicles do not need a key at all. Carrying the fob in your pocket is all that's need to start the vehicle.
Old 12-09-2016, 07:05 AM
Old Fart

Received 297 Likes on 222 Posts

Most of the time I just use the touch on the door handle too enter or lock the vehicle. Wondering if that involves a signal that can be captured by this device even though I don't interact physically with the fob? The fob needs to be within range in order for the touch on the door handle to work.
Old 12-09-2016, 07:23 AM

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

Some years ago (20+++) I worked for a company that made remote starters and alarm systems for cars.

Even in those days we were using a technologie called "Code Hopping" (or something like that) that rendered a transmitted code useless once it had been transmitted because the receiving end would only accept each code only once.

Technically speaking is was some sort of pseudo-random number with a particular seed and index. When pairing the key fob with the vehicule there was an exchange of the seed and index so that the vehicule "knew" what the next futur code would be... Something like that...

So using recorder technology and playback was totally useless.

I dont know if Ford uses this technology or not.

And even thou "thief technology" may have increased also, with today advance in cryptography, something similar or even better should exist...

Question is; Are the car manufacturer investing and using these kind of technology or are they trying to save a few dollars implementing "stupid" keyfob that uses always the same code ?
Old 12-09-2016, 07:33 AM
OakenFall

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

@shortride- true, and i prefer an actual key. i will suggest to Ford that they bring KEYS back.
some tech is great and handy, but its not good when it comes with the price of security!
Old 12-09-2016, 07:41 AM

Received 5,989 Likes on 3,553 Posts

Garage door openers have had rolling code technology for decades, if Ford and other manufacturers didn't do similar that's a shame. However, as I understand it, the code is relayed from the fob via the accomplice who gets close to your fob to a person standing at the vehicle, that then gets access. Therefore, it's likely transmitting the proper code and doing the handshake.

I've never understood what is so difficult about putting a key in and turning it. I wouldn't have paid a dime in the past for a push button start. Now, on any future vehicle, I will see if I can avoid it at all costs.
Old 12-09-2016, 07:54 AM

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

Personally, If someone steals my truck, I don't ever want it back.
The following 3 users liked this post by whirledpeaz:
kendive (12-09-2016), o0MEGA0o (12-12-2016), tooloud10 (12-10-2016)