Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Canadians first F-150 purchase! Price Advice!

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2018, 10:20 AM

Received 462 Likes on 251 Posts
Default Canadians first F-150 purchase! Price Advice!

Hey everyone,

I'm currently in the market for a new F-150, specifically a 2018 screw XLT sport trim, short box, 2.7 eco, lightning metallic blue.

It is a "Demo" with approx 1190 km's.

Sticker MSRP is $56,799, but they have it marked down to $45,277.

With $0 down and no trade-in, I could get it for roughly $301 bi-weekly, less with a down payment (obviously).

Financing is 0.99% and I'd be looking at an 84 month term.

I need to find out when the vehicle was "put in service" as that is the day that the warranty started, even though they would be selling it as a "new" vehicle.

Depending whether or not it's been put in service, I will use that to negotiate things down a bit, say, $0.50 cents off per KM driven, and $100 off for every month of warranty lost.

Looking for some opinions and advice and opinions on this deal, and anyone with experience purchasing a demo.

I've attached the window sticker.

Thanks for looking!

Last edited by UnkLeRaRa; 03-18-2018 at 08:01 PM.
Old 03-15-2018, 11:11 AM
Blunt

Received 1,074 Likes on 722 Posts

I think you could go a bit cheaper to be honest. I bought mine in March 2015 but the MSRP was 56,449 and got it for $45k with only 2 km's on it. It was never driven and still had plastic on everything including the seats and steering wheel.

Mine's pretty much the same as yours but I had a few extra things (302A, LED lights in bed, tailgate step, payload package, moonroof) and got the spray-in bedliner for free... But mine didn't have the special edition package. I'm just looking at the difference between MSRP and out the door price.

See the sticker below and my signature:

The following users liked this post:
UnkLeRaRa (03-15-2018)
Old 03-15-2018, 11:17 AM

Received 216 Likes on 183 Posts

Hi and welcome to the forum,

You have plenty more room to negotiate. Don't pay what they're asking. My 2017 had a 59 500$ MSRP price on the window sticker and I ended up getting it for 45 500$ (after negotiating a lot + 1000$ Costco rebate). I bought it during the Ford employee pricing event though, which gave me A-Plan rebates (Ford employees). However, the interests rates are higher during that event. Deals are always different from month to month...

Also, I would suggest to ask them to throw in an extended warranty for free to cover for the previous use. It has most likely been demoed for less than 1 year, but you want (and need) that 3y/60k basic & 5y/100k powertrain warranty. F150s are indeed very good trucks, but not as reliable as they should be in my opinion. A peace of mind is always a good thing when you spend 50k on a piece of metal.

Good luck with the price negotiation process. Negociation ain't over, until the salesman tell you to leave the dealership!

Last edited by Eduskator; 03-15-2018 at 11:20 AM.
UnkLeRaRa (03-15-2018)
Old 03-15-2018, 11:34 AM

Appreciate the advice fella's!

I can definitely play hard-ball, but have never looked at truck pricing before, and just wanted to get an idea of how this deal looks to those of you with more experience.

Going to check it out on Saturday so we'll see how that goes!
Old 03-15-2018, 01:19 PM
Blunt

When you can't get them any lower, that's when you start asking for freebies. Like winter floor mats perhaps. Or a deal on winter rims and tires. etc

And remember that whatever price you end up at, and whatever monthly payments, don't expect that. Because once you move over to the finance guy, that's when you get 3M, FMPP, and extra dangled in front of your face, and they always give you "amazing deals" on that stuff, and say things like "only an extra $20/month" and they pile up...

Last edited by BlackBoost; 03-15-2018 at 01:22 PM.
UnkLeRaRa (03-15-2018)
Old 03-15-2018, 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by BlackBoost
When you can't get them any lower, that's when you start asking for freebies. Like winter floor mats perhaps. Or a deal on winter rims and tires. etc

And remember that whatever price you end up at, and whatever monthly payments, don't expect that. Because once you move over to the finance guy, that's when you get 3M, FMPP, and extra dangled in front of your face, and they always give you "amazing deals" on that stuff, and say things like "only an extra $20/month" and they pile up...
Couldn't have said better! I negotiated mine until the sales director said he didn't want to do business with me and suggested I go somewhere else. Then, I managed to throw in weather tech floor mats & a few oil changes
UnkLeRaRa (03-15-2018)
Old 03-15-2018, 02:21 PM
Blunt

Yeah, bought my wife's car in 2014, my truck in 2015, and just picked up a new Nissan Rogue platinum to replace my wife's car on Tuesday. Got the system down now lol Don't ask for freebies at first, it's like showing your cards

Hey OP, since you're in Canada, you might want to get a CarCostCanada membership. I think it only cost me $30 and lets you look up the dealership prices for 10 vehicles. Totally worth it when you walk in there and start negotiating from the bottom-up instead of top-down and you have all the printouts for the prices in your hand. Not sure if it also works with used vehicles but you could get a new one for that price.
UnkLeRaRa (03-15-2018)
Old 03-15-2018, 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by BlackBoost
Yeah, bought my wife's car in 2014, my truck in 2015, and just picked up a new Nissan Rogue platinum to replace my wife's car on Tuesday. Got the system down now lol Don't ask for freebies at first, it's like showing your cards

Hey OP, since you're in Canada, you might want to get a CarCostCanada membership. I think it only cost me $30 and lets you look up the dealership prices for 10 vehicles. Totally worth it when you walk in there and start negotiating from the bottom-up instead of top-down and you have all the printouts for the prices in your hand. Not sure if it also works with used vehicles but you could get a new one for that price.
I was actually just on their site yesterday just reading up on buying tips and things.

I think that might be well worth the $30 just to be able to walk in with some additional leverage.

The guy at the dealership I was speaking to yesterday text messaged me today "just to check in" lol.

I'm thinking they are looking to unload the unit asap, so hopefully their desperation will work in my favour.

Could just be an eager rep, but I thought it was a little strange haha.

Thanks BB!
BlackBoost (03-15-2018)
Old 03-15-2018, 03:40 PM

So I did the "free" report just to get an idea.

MSRP came to $56,249, and Invoice came out to $50,587

Also found a few incentives that I should be able to use.

Let's play ball!
BlackBoost (03-15-2018)
Old 03-16-2018, 09:19 AM

Yep. It really depends on how much incentive they get from Ford Corporate... A good dealership will show you its invoice... My salesman wasn't much transparent, but the sales director, after a while sitting and talking in his office, turned the computer screen and showed me the ''real'' invoice and said ''look, there's nothing more I can do, I must make at least a few bucks on the transaction.'' I wasn't surprised to see that the majority of the profit was made out of accessories (packages such as 301 or 302, FX4, wheels, spray-in bedliner, etc.).
UnkLeRaRa (03-16-2018)

Quick Reply: Canadians first F-150 purchase! Price Advice!