Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Canadian imports and U3000 DTC

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2020, 10:16 PM
F150 Jr Vendor

Received 319 Likes on 187 Posts
Default Canadian imports and U3000 DTC

If anyone who purchased an F150 that was imported from Canada and notices a persistent U3000 DTC in the IPC module that won't clear I know why. There is a certain company (that I won't name publicly) who is programming these clusters for some importers and are incorrectly programming them to show odometer in miles and slapping a cheap mph gauge face on them that literally falls apart over time. In an XL/XLT cluster done by them the U3000 DTC will be the only side effect but if the cluster is from a Lariat/King Ranch/Platinum/Limited then this U3000 will cause Adaptive Cruise Control not to work. If anyone with an XL/XLT with these clusters ever sought to add ACC then it won't work.

The correct way to convert these clusters would be with a genuine U.S. cluster's image written to them and not simply flipping some bytes in the eeprom that causes a checksum failure and produces the U3000 DTC.

Anyways, this is just a PSA to anyone who might be in the same boat or someone in the future searching this U3000 DTC.

Last edited by Clusters by Livnitup; 03-26-2020 at 10:19 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Clusters by Livnitup:
herronn (03-26-2020), mbrick (10-04-2021), Nooneridesfree (09-04-2023)
Old 03-26-2020, 10:41 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Livinitup has said it perfectly and seen it first hand.

I had this exact issue on my 2016 F150 Lariat with adaptive cruise that was imported from Montreal Canada (a metric KMH part of the country). After countless hours, time and money spent at a dealership trying to figure out why my ACC wasn’t working, Livinitup was able to trace the problem back to my IPC perfectly. The IPC U3000 DTC will not trigger your check engine light but could cause cause other problems. You will see it if you plug in with FORScan (or other readers) as a trouble code.

Certain companies are taking a cheap and easy route when importing vehicles from metric countries to make the speed dial and the cluster numbers match the destination country BUT THEY ARE DOING IT WRONG! See the pictures below in just the difference in face plates some cheap companies change out when they import these trucks...

After a while the cheap plate will end up slowly falling apart. Don’t let a dealer sell you a new 1,200+ IPC module without first checking your vehicle yourself. This was a very easy quick and pretty cheap fix! You can do this have faith and do a bit of research, you’ll get it!

Thanks again to Livinitup for all the help, knowledge and know how with this small but massively impactful issue!
The following users liked this post:
Livnitup (03-26-2020)
Old 03-27-2020, 12:21 PM

Received 2,269 Likes on 1,488 Posts

herronn, all of Canada is metric and has been since the late 1970s.
Old 03-27-2020, 04:06 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 52merc
herronn, all of Canada is metric and has been since the late 1970s.
I misspoke/typed. I meant to say this area of Canada spoke French. When I purchased my truck everything from the user manual to the stickers in the truck were in French yes thank you for the correction👍🏻
Old 03-27-2020, 06:23 PM

Received 2,269 Likes on 1,488 Posts

No problem. Should have bought a truck from here. Even my owner manual is in English.

Still metric though.
The following users liked this post:
herronn (03-27-2020)
Old 03-29-2020, 05:12 PM

Received 116 Likes on 66 Posts

On the 2019 Lariat we have, you can change the speedometer to US from metric in the DIC under measurement units. Changing the setting to US immediately converts to miles and changes the temperature indicators to F from C.
Why do you need to physically change the instrument panel dials?
Old 01-07-2021, 01:02 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Clusters by Livnitup
If anyone who purchased an F150 that was imported from Canada and notices a persistent U3000 DTC in the IPC module that won't clear I know why. There is a certain company (that I won't name publicly) who is programming these clusters for some importers and are incorrectly programming them to show odometer in miles and slapping a cheap mph gauge face on them that literally falls apart over time. In an XL/XLT cluster done by them the U3000 DTC will be the only side effect but if the cluster is from a Lariat/King Ranch/Platinum/Limited then this U3000 will cause Adaptive Cruise Control not to work. If anyone with an XL/XLT with these clusters ever sought to add ACC then it won't work.

The correct way to convert these clusters would be with a genuine U.S. cluster's image written to them and not simply flipping some bytes in the eeprom that causes a checksum failure and produces the U3000 DTC.

Anyways, this is just a PSA to anyone who might be in the same boat or someone in the future searching this U3000 DTC.
Thank you. I believe this is my issue. I just made a post in the maintenance section but maybe you can help me. I have a canuck f150 that was bought here in the states. The truck has 24,000 miles on it so still under warranty. It is an XLT so no ACC. My question is- how should I bring it up to the dealer? Is there any chance they will try and put me at fault because I was messing around in Forscan (made some minor adjustments with DRL and bambi mode etc.)? There is no check engine light but I would like the issue to be fixed while it is under warranty if possible.
Old 01-07-2021, 03:01 PM
F150 Jr Vendor

Received 319 Likes on 187 Posts

Originally Posted by widgeon1
Thank you. I believe this is my issue. I just made a post in the maintenance section but maybe you can help me. I have a canuck f150 that was bought here in the states. The truck has 24,000 miles on it so still under warranty. It is an XLT so no ACC. My question is- how should I bring it up to the dealer? Is there any chance they will try and put me at fault because I was messing around in Forscan (made some minor adjustments with DRL and bambi mode etc.)? There is no check engine light but I would like the issue to be fixed while it is under warranty if possible.
Well if you have the U3000 DTC then you're in a bit of a pickle because all the dealership could do is order you a new cluster but since the truck originated from Canada, they would only order you a Km/h cluster because your VIN is used in the special ordering process for clusters. The dealership also doesn't have the ability to fix the eeprom code causing the U3000 DTC and write a U.S. image to that Canadian cluster which would fix the checksum error causing the U3000 DTC.

The only real solutions are:
1. buying an appropriate 4.2" or 8" mph cluster and having it programmed for your truck
2. sending your current cluster off to have a genuine mph image written to it.
3. live with the persistent U3000 DTC
Old 01-07-2021, 04:15 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Clusters by Livnitup
Well if you have the U3000 DTC then you're in a bit of a pickle because all the dealership could do is order you a new cluster but since the truck originated from Canada, they would only order you a Km/h cluster because your VIN is used in the special ordering process for clusters. The dealership also doesn't have the ability to fix the eeprom code causing the U3000 DTC and write a U.S. image to that Canadian cluster which would fix the checksum error causing the U3000 DTC.

The only real solutions are:
1. buying an appropriate 4.2" or 8" mph cluster and having it programmed for your truck
2. sending your current cluster off to have a genuine mph image written to it.
3. live with the persistent U3000 DTC
I was kind of afraid of something like that. I guess I will bring it up when I bring it in for an oil change and see what they say but will probably end up going with option 3. Thanks for the response.
Old 10-02-2021, 07:21 PM

Received 96 Likes on 61 Posts

Hey @Livnitup

I see you mentioned this U3000 preventing ACC from working. I have a buddy in Canada trying to retrofit ACC in his 2014 Fusion, he also has a retrofit IPC (Mondeo) installed and we're getting this U3000 permanent DTC that won't clear out and the Adaptive option in the cluster is constant greyed out.

What do you think the solution is ? Would the proper canadian eeprom programming clear this U3000 ?

Quick Reply: Canadian imports and U3000 DTC