Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can the dealers flash for bigger tires on a 2018?

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2018, 08:02 PM

Received 54 Likes on 35 Posts

Default Can the dealers flash for bigger tires on a 2018?

Hello, I recently purchased a 2018 F150 and added 285/65/20's and want to get the speedometer adjusted to be more accurate. I figured since the tire is very close to the Raptor diameter, the service department could flash it for me like they did on my 2010. Is that still possible on the 2018's? I asked them and they didn't even know. I scheduled an appointment for next Friday for them to try but I don't want to waste my time if it's no longer possible.

I don't believe I'm computer literate enough to use FORESCAN but I would more than happy to pay a fellow forum member in the Seattle/Tacoma area rather than Ford to help.

Thanks,
-Jeff
Old 06-27-2018, 08:25 PM

Received 225 Likes on 110 Posts

Im in Tampa so cant help you but I assure you when a fellow Fscanner reads this help will be offered. Maybe repost "Forscan Help In Seattle"
Old 06-27-2018, 09:18 PM

Received 119 Likes on 87 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by Hammer40
Hello, I recently purchased a 2018 F150 and added 285/65/20's and want to get the speedometer adjusted to be more accurate. I figured since the tire is very close to the Raptor diameter, the service department could flash it for me like they did on my 2010. Is that still possible on the 2018's? I asked them and they didn't even know. I scheduled an appointment for next Friday for them to try but I don't want to waste my time if it's no longer possible.

I don't believe I'm computer literate enough to use FORESCAN but I would more than happy to pay a fellow forum member in the Seattle/Tacoma area rather than Ford to help.

Thanks,
-Jeff
No, the ability for the dealer to do this ended with 2015 trucks. Forscan will make the change, but will more than likely store a trouble code. This won't turn on the check engine light and won't cause any other issues, but it will likely be there. The only way anyone would know is by pulling the codes. The other option is the superchips flashpaq. It costs about $200 but gets the job done a bit better than forscan.
Old 06-28-2018, 01:59 AM

Originally Posted by Harry Franklin
No, the ability for the dealer to do this ended with 2015 trucks. Forscan will make the change, but will more than likely store a trouble code. This won't turn on the check engine light and won't cause any other issues, but it will likely be there. The only way anyone would know is by pulling the codes. The other option is the superchips flashpaq. It costs about $200 but gets the job done a bit better than forscan.
Thank you for the response.

is the Superchips a better option than the Hypertech in-line calibrater?
Old 06-28-2018, 02:10 AM

Received 2,584 Likes on 1,503 Posts

I believe there are steps now to eliminate that DTC after Forscan. Plus, it's not exactly a secret... when you roll in to your dealer with bigger wheels and tires, he's not going to need to pull the DTCs to know you reprogrammed a tire size.

And, there are so many more things you can do with Forscan...
Old 06-28-2018, 02:33 AM

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

I used the new(ish) Rough Country QuickCal gps speedometer calibrator on my '15 4X4 (leveled and 33's), less costly than Hypertech, and really easy/fast, worked great!

http://www.roughcountry.com/quickcal...or-90001b.html
Old 06-28-2018, 05:11 AM

Received 119 Likes on 87 Posts

Thank you for the response.

is the Superchips a better option than the Hypertech in-line calibrater?
The hypertech requires removing the instrument cluster to plug it in. The Superchips is a flash update through the OBD.
Old 06-28-2018, 09:44 AM
The FORScan Guy

Received 4,909 Likes on 1,991 Posts

Thanks,
-Jeff
FORScan is your best bet and lots of guys who were intimidated at first find out it's not that hard. All you need to do is follow the steps in the tutorial and if you have any questions you can post in the FORScan thread or pm me directly for help. I've also helped a few guys and done it remotely for them with TeamViewer. Anyways, the choice is yours but here's a link to the tutorial if you want to give it a shot: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...gF1wxIqxY/edit
Old 06-28-2018, 01:17 PM

Thank you Livinitup. I will probably sit down and force my way thru FORScan when I have a little time. There are a few other tweaks I would like to make in addition to the speedometer calibration.

For the short term, I used wgotthardt’s recommendation on the RC unit and ordered one this AM. It looks like a pretty easy and quick solution.

-Jeff
Old 06-28-2018, 01:27 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Thank you Livinitup. I will probably sit down and force my way thru FORScan when I have a little time. There are a few other tweaks I would like to make in addition to the speedometer calibration.

For the short term, I used wgotthardt’s recommendation on the RC unit and ordered one this AM. It looks like a pretty easy and quick solution.

-Jeff
The rough country unit does not work on 2018's with the 10 speed trans, I emailed to ask when it would be available and they said to ETA has been set.

Quick Reply: Can the dealers flash for bigger tires on a 2018?