Topic Sponsor
Performance, Tuning, and (LEGAL) Racing Post discussions about increasing performance, capabilities, and racing. ****WARNING**** Street racing or illegal activities will be removed and potential bans will be handed out.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Calling all who have installed a whipple sc on F-150

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2017, 09:10 AM
Too much acceleration

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Calling all who have installed a whipple sc on F-150

Hello, I have a 2015 F-150 purchased new in 8-2015. It has 7,800 miles on it now. I’m about to purchase a whipple and I had some questions. I have followed the thread started by jmeo, (good thread) and it has lots of good information. I am no mechanic, im a process engineer and while I have done much wiring, I have never done serious mechanical work other than change oil & filter & spark plugs in a motorcycle. My question to each of you is,….. what was the hardest part of the install for you? How hard would it be for a non-mechanic to install this system? I read the instructions and it looks like something I can do, but I want to hear from someone who has done it already.

jmeo, engineermike, JSEDECKER, Mastertrax, Quick, & GCrazy…… Any problems with your systems so far? How many miles on your system? Anything you noticed that was unusual or out of the ordinary? One of you mentioned stumble at start…. Is that ok now?

Thanks
Old 08-31-2017, 11:41 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not sure of your tool supply, but you may want to have a local performance shop do the install if your skills are limited. You may end up needing as many tools as the cost of an install if you don't do much mechanic work.

Overall, I found the job to be fairly easy except the amount of hoses you have to mess with is significant, but it looks all stock when you are done. I have built alot of cars and trucks for fun over the years and generally fix anything and everything myself and have all of the tools, lift and work area to do so.

I had about 12- 14 total hours labor into it over the course of 4 days fiddling with it after work mostly with the help of a friend.

Good Luck if you decide to proceed I'll be glad to go into further detail to help.
Old 08-31-2017, 12:23 PM
Too much acceleration

Originally Posted by qwikcobra
Not sure of your tool supply, but you may want to have a local performance shop do the install if your skills are limited. You may end up needing as many tools as the cost of an install if you don't do much mechanic work.

Overall, I found the job to be fairly easy except the amount of hoses you have to mess with is significant, but it looks all stock when you are done. I have built alot of cars and trucks for fun over the years and generally fix anything and everything myself and have all of the tools, lift and work area to do so.

I had about 12- 14 total hours labor into it over the course of 4 days fiddling with it after work mostly with the help of a friend.

Good Luck if you decide to proceed I'll be glad to go into further detail to help.
Thanks qwikcobra. i have all the sockets and wrenches & allen wrenches. I have no torque wrenches and my space is limited to a 2 car garage that has my truck and an SUV in it. Im gonna try to tackle it myself. glad to hear it was a fairly easy install. The hoses dont bother me. I will have to purchase some hose clamp removal tools & torque wrenchs. Do you know what a shop would typically charge for a job like this?
Old 08-31-2017, 06:00 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would guess about $800-1000 to install maybe a little more. My truck is a 4x4 it helped alot to take the front wheels off and lower it down to the rotors and to also pull the grill off.
The following users liked this post:
turbobusa (08-31-2017)
Old 08-31-2017, 07:03 PM

Received 1,556 Likes on 990 Posts

Messing with the hoses was probably the hardest part. We're not talking about hose clamps here. Some heater hoses and evap line are pretty difficult to get apart and reassemble. The only tool I didn't have was the heat gun required to reseal the heater hoses.

My kit was an early release in 2015 so it took a couple of tune revisions to get it nailed down, but whipple had great service throughout. I'm at 33,000 miles on the truck with 30,000 or so on the supercharger. It's been totally maintenance and hiccup free. Starts every day and gets me to work with no issues.
Old 08-31-2017, 07:12 PM

Received 646 Likes on 498 Posts

Originally Posted by turbobusa
Hello, I have a 2015 F-150 purchased new in 8-2015. It has 7,800 miles on it now. I’m about to purchase a whipple and I had some questions. I have followed the thread started by jmeo, (good thread) and it has lots of good information. I am no mechanic, im a process engineer and while I have done much wiring, I have never done serious mechanical work other than change oil & filter & spark plugs in a motorcycle. My question to each of you is,….. what was the hardest part of the install for you? How hard would it be for a non-mechanic to install this system? I read the instructions and it looks like something I can do, but I want to hear from someone who has done it already.

jmeo, engineermike, JSEDECKER, Mastertrax, Quick, & GCrazy…… Any problems with your systems so far? How many miles on your system? Anything you noticed that was unusual or out of the ordinary? One of you mentioned stumble at start…. Is that ok now?

Thanks
so how do you maintain a turbo busa if you don't have mechanical experience? (I've had 3 busas). if you can turbo a busa, this should be easier...
Old 08-31-2017, 09:31 PM
Too much acceleration

Originally Posted by zx12-iowa
so how do you maintain a turbo busa if you don't have mechanical experience? (I've had 3 busas). if you can turbo a busa, this should be easier...

I should've looked you up when I was in Iowa. I was in Council Bluffs, Algona & Des Monies. Do you have a zx12 now? The turbo busa has been maintenance free, that kit was put on by a friend of mine in Florida.
Old 08-31-2017, 09:36 PM

Received 646 Likes on 498 Posts

Originally Posted by turbobusa
I should've looked you up when I was in Iowa. I was in Council Bluffs, Algona & Des Monies. Do you have a zx12 now? The turbo busa has been maintenance free, that kit was put on by a friend of mine in Florida.
I know we are off topic but hey your thread. lol. I'm down south now and many bikes past my busas and zx12s. now k1600gtl.

well you are in good hands with the folks in this thread. they have tons of good i5.0 superchargers. should be a fun truck albeit nowhere near as fun as a turbo busa.

keep us posted on your build.
Old 08-31-2017, 09:36 PM
Too much acceleration

Originally Posted by engineermike
I'm at 33,000 miles on the truck with 30,000 or so on the supercharger. It's been totally maintenance and hiccup free. Starts every day and gets me to work with no issues.

So you got ur whipple on early... This is what I like to hear, no issues. This will be my daily driver. Im not racing, just want that extra power.
The following users liked this post:
TX-Ripper (09-28-2017)
Old 11-10-2017, 07:37 PM
Too much acceleration

Well looks like I will be joining you guys soon. My Whipple SC has shipped today. I should be receiving it in about a week or more. I got the Gen 3 upgrade, also got the fan option but I didn’t get the elliptical high flow throttle as I won’t be racing. I just want a little more power to have some fun with. If it makes close to 580hp I’ll be happy. I’ll be installing this myself so I may have to hit you guys up with a question or so if I get stumped. Looks like my truck will be down for a while. I hope to have it finished by X-mas. Not really in a rush as I have another vehicle I can drive. Work schedule will determine if I can work on it during the week but mostly it will be the weekends. I do have a question though… Is the factory speed limiter removed with the whipple tune?

Quick Reply: Calling all who have installed a whipple sc on F-150