Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buying an STX - What do I need to know??

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2019, 02:20 AM

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Default Buying an STX - What do I need to know??

Hello,

I'm new to the forum and am going to be most likely buying an STX king cab short bed in 4x4 with eco boost 2.7. I'm planning on giving it a 2-3 inch lift and adding some quality suspension, rims and tires. and the STX seems like a good starting point - I don't see anything that the XLT or FX4 offer that is necessary but please let me know if I am overlooking something.

I'm feeling abyss gray (which I'm only seeing in the STX) but noticed online that the STX in my area has the 3.73 Axle Ratio in that color/trim. I was browsing an old thread here and a couple people said the 3.55 is MUCH better but didn't give much of an explanation. Is this true - if so, why??

Is there anything else I should be aware of option wise that are must have's? I'm going to try and find one with a locking diff and I don't know if F150's offer crawl control or if that is necessary but I plan on taking it in the snow and on some pretty rough trails to go shooting. Probably some sand here and there as well in the desert.

Anything else I should know please lay it all out there!
Old 07-11-2019, 02:46 AM

Received 705 Likes on 547 Posts

If your planning on bigger tires I suggest you go with 3.5 ECO.
Old 07-11-2019, 06:47 AM

Received 331 Likes on 145 Posts

I just got into an SCAB STX 5.0 V8 with 3.55's in June. Came with Center Console, SYNC 3, backup cam and sensors, FX4, tow package, pre collision assist, Sirius, 20" rims, - the STX trim has come a LONG way (of course some of those features I listed are add-ons options.)

With the 3.73's you should be in the ballpark of towing around 8,000lbs depending on the build of your truck - not bad for a crew cab half ton.

Apparently you can't get the keypad for keyless entry installed at the factory??? But can buy the 25$ keypad online, and the wiring is already in the door.

Remote start is a 5 minute install and a 5 minute program with FORScan, which leads me to my next point.

FORScan - take a look at the sticky thread on the forums here by Livinitup - its amazing. All you need is the 30$ OBDII adapter and a laptop that runs windows, and you can safely make all kinds of changes to give your truck some personality. (I've done Bambi mode, changed my SYNC theme to the Raptor setup, added climate controls to the 8" display, enabled the keyless entry pad and remote start, among a couple other small changes.)

From my personal experience - try and find one with vinyl floors - WAY easier to clean than carpet IMO.

Your drivers side back seat - seat back WILL GO DOWN. - It's difficult, but once you get it down the first time you can modify it to make it easier.

The 10 speed transmission is incredible.... just not for the first 1000 miles. Mine totally changed personality after that and its buttery smooth, but still expect some odd shifting - especially in the beginning.

If I think of anything else I'll just chime in again. Honestly these trucks have gotten to the point where those of us buying STX's right now would have been looking at XLT's or potentially higher trims 10 years ago for the same options.
The following users liked this post:
Lurchy (08-17-2019)
Old 07-11-2019, 08:50 AM

Received 166 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by TacticalChihuahua
Hello,

I'm new to the forum and am going to be most likely buying an STX king cab short bed in 4x4 with eco boost 2.7. I'm planning on giving it a 2-3 inch lift and adding some quality suspension, rims and tires. and the STX seems like a good starting point - I don't see anything that the XLT or FX4 offer that is necessary but please let me know if I am overlooking something.

I'm feeling abyss gray (which I'm only seeing in the STX) but noticed online that the STX in my area has the 3.73 Axle Ratio in that color/trim. I was browsing an old thread here and a couple people said the 3.55 is MUCH better but didn't give much of an explanation. Is this true - if so, why??

Is there anything else I should be aware of option wise that are must have's? I'm going to try and find one with a locking diff and I don't know if F150's offer crawl control or if that is necessary but I plan on taking it in the snow and on some pretty rough trails to go shooting. Probably some sand here and there as well in the desert.

Anything else I should know please lay it all out there!
In my opinion with the new 10-speeds gear ratio is not as near as Important. That being said...you mentioned you were gonna take it on some trails and desert. Will you be adding bigger tires? If so I would go with 3.55 gears or 3.73...there isn't a wrong way to go. I would choose the ecoboost over the 5.0 if your not a motor junkie. You have more tourque down low. STX are pretty basic..I don't think you can get the crawl control on the stx. You can get the locking differential though.

I have a 18 5.0 with 3.31 gears and 315/70r17 raptor pulls offs. Now..I love my truck but with the 3.31 and bigger tires around town is fine...highway cruising is a whole nother story. My truck goes between 8,9,10 running 75mph. My truck is even tuned on 93 octane and wont' hit 10th until 65.

But unless they changed it for 2019 stx 4 wheel drive are pretty much all the same except for the locking rear and gear ratio.
Old 07-11-2019, 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by caperj
If your planning on bigger tires I suggest you go with 3.5 ECO.
Thanks for the reply. Could you expand on this a little - why would the 3.5 ecoboost be better than the 2.7 ecoboost with bigger tires? I would probably put something like 33’s on it with a 2-3 inch lift - nothing massive. And is the 3.5 eco available in the STX or would I need to step up to a different trim?

Originally Posted by archaic2021
In my opinion with the new 10-speeds gear ratio is not as near as Important. That being said...you mentioned you were gonna take it on some trails and desert. Will you be adding bigger tires? If so I would go with 3.55 gears or 3.73...there isn't a wrong way to go. I would choose the ecoboost over the 5.0 if your not a motor junkie. You have more tourque down low. STX are pretty basic..I don't think you can get the crawl control on the stx. You can get the locking differential though.

I have a 18 5.0 with 3.31 gears and 315/70r17 raptor pulls offs. Now..I love my truck but with the 3.31 and bigger tires around town is fine...highway cruising is a whole nother story. My truck goes between 8,9,10 running 75mph. My truck is even tuned on 93 octane and wont' hit 10th until 65.

But unless they changed it for 2019 stx 4 wheel drive are pretty much all the same except for the locking rear and gear ratio.
This truck is going to be a daily commuter and will be going on the freeway quite a bit. Is this going to be problematic? Are you saying it’s struggling at higher speeds?

Sorry for the noob questions I appreciate the help guys...

Last edited by TacticalChihuahua; 07-11-2019 at 11:14 AM.
Old 07-11-2019, 11:23 AM

Received 1,919 Likes on 1,143 Posts

https://www.f150forum.com/f118/how-d...ur-stx-430912/
Old 07-11-2019, 11:32 AM

Received 109 Likes on 74 Posts

Good choice with the STX. Guys are loving the 2.7 and 3.5 turbos. I have the 3.5 and it's a great engine with all kinds of power. 3.73 is a good gear ratio for trucks as it'll get you started out of the gate easier and is good if towing.
Old 07-11-2019, 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by Wassup8687
Good choice with the STX. Guys are loving the 2.7 and 3.5 turbos. I have the 3.5 and it's a great engine with all kinds of power. 3.73 is a good gear ratio for trucks as it'll get you started out of the gate easier and is good if towing.
Thank you for the reply. I should mention I won’t be towing - especially anything big. Maybe 1-2 dirtbikes max. The most important to me is that it gets good gas mileage but isn’t anemic power wise and can still ride freeways. This isn’t going to be a dedicated off road truck. Will mostly be a daily driver but would like it to still be off road capable with clearance.
Old 07-11-2019, 11:49 AM
###########

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I bought a XLT last year and at that time the pricing of an STX vs XLT (accounting for rebates - XLT and package discounts - STX) favored the XLT. Maybe things have changed but thought I would mention it.
Old 07-11-2019, 12:11 PM

Received 1,189 Likes on 597 Posts

I agree with kabin. Look at the incentives. When I bought my XLT they were way better on the XLT than the STX. While you can add a lot of features to any F-150 after it's built, there is one that cannot be added at all. That's the Sync Connect with Ford Pass app for your phone. I love being able to open an app and lock/unlock the doors, start the truck remotely or schedule it to start at a designated time on any given day, check fuel level, oil life, and also have GPS mapping of the truck in the rare event it was ever stolen. I honestly think I could never go back to not having Sync Connect.

Quick Reply: Buying an STX - What do I need to know??