Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buyers Remorse...I should have bought a...

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2018, 06:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buyers Remorse...I should have bought a...

Hello all - this is my first post.

I have what I'll just call my "fun and fast car", that I really didn't want to put a lot of miles on, so back in early May of this year, I bought a used 2016 Ram 1500 4x4 HEMI Crew Cab as a daily driver/beater/tow vehicle.

I've never owned a truck up until a month and a half ago. I never expected that I'd enjoy this truck as much as I have! I live in Colorado, so I've taken it on some off-road trails in the mountains, I've used it to tow, I've used it to haul stuff in the bed, etc. I just never expected in a million years that I'd be this into my truck. The only problem is that it's kind of a lower-end version (Ram Big Horn). The other problem is that where I live, it's 7000 feet. While the HEMI is a powerful power-plant at sea-level, the naturally aspirated engine takes a big hit up here at altitude. That 395 HP HEMI is really like 300 HP here at altitude.

So, with this new found love of trucks and being at 7000' altitude, I'm looking to possibly sell or trade in my Ram and get either an Ecoboost Raptor or the Ecoboost F150 Lariat FX4. Either way, the Ecoboost will help to overcome the loss of power due to the altitude. The question is, which Ecoboost truck?

I wouldn't necessarily say that I have buyer's remorse with the Ram that I bought. I just never anticipated that I'd love it as much as I do, but with that said, it does has some shortcomings. If I buy a truck this time around, I want to make sure I'm getting something that I'll really enjoy and won't have any "I wish I would have went this this" - type thoughts. I want a locking rear diff. I want pretty decent ground clearance (we've had some monster winters here where I live in Colorado). I really want that Ecoboost 3.5l engine!

I know I can get all of that in either the Lariat FX4 or the Raptor. The one thing that has me teeter-tottering between the two is the ground clearance vs the ride comfort. Again, we've had some nasty winters where the ground clearance becomes a significant factor. But the other 90% of the time of the year, the weather will be just fine and that's where I lean towards the Lariat FX4 for the better ride comfort.

I'm curious to get others thoughts on the regular F150 FX4 model vs the Raptor. Any regrets not getting the Raptor? Anyone that feels their (stock) F150 FX4 can do just about anything the Raptor can do? I want to hear all opinions on this!

Last edited by lnferno; 06-21-2018 at 08:13 PM.
Old 06-21-2018, 07:11 PM

Received 330 Likes on 187 Posts

You can get the Lariat and replace the shocks for a lot cheaper than the Raptor. Unless you need the 4x4 capability of the Raptor, I would get the Lariat.. However, my intention a couple months ago were to get the Lariat sport (hate chrome), but ended up with a Platinum due to the nicer massaging seats, nice on long trips and if you have a bad back like I do....
Old 06-21-2018, 07:59 PM

Received 2,584 Likes on 1,503 Posts

I compromised a bit on my 2016, which had issues. So, my 2018 is a Lariat 502A, Sport, Special Edition, with basically every option.

If you're just looking for ground clearance, get the 3.5EB with the 3.55 rear, put a mild lift kit on, add 34 or 35" tires, and you're golden. If you really want a true off-road suspension, you will likely get a more capable vehicle by buying a standard F150, then adding a real suspension - like the Icon setup. In my experience, I see most Raptors as the ultimate pavement princesses... they're good off-road but not incredible, so true off-roaders don't usually choose them... but they look cool so the pavement queens buy them. Just my opinion.
The following users liked this post:
lnferno (06-21-2018)
Old 06-21-2018, 08:30 PM

Received 496 Likes on 345 Posts

Originally Posted by lnferno
Hello all - this is my first post.
I've never owned a truck up until a month and a half ago. I never expected that I'd enjoy this truck as much as I have! I live in Colorado, so I've taken it on some off-road trails in the mountains, I've used it to tow, I've used it to haul stuff in the bed, etc. I just never expected in a million years that I'd be this into my truck. The only problem is that it's kind of a lower-end version (Ram Big Horn). The other problem is that where I live, it's 7000 feet. While the HEMI is a powerful power-plant at sea-level, the naturally aspirated engine takes a big hit up here at altitude. That 395 HP HEMI is really like 300 HP here at altitude.

So, with this new found love of trucks and being at 7000' altitude, I'm looking to possibly sell or trade in my Ram and get either an Ecoboost Raptor or the Ecoboost F150 Lariat FX4. Either way, the Ecoboost will help to overcome the loss of power due to the altitude. The question is, which Ecoboost truck?
What makes you think the 3.5 EB will not be affected by altitude? Aid density is air density, there is less oxygen available at your altitude and the barometric pressure is considerably less. That is why we flat landers have a hard time and get headaches at 10,000 ft.

Last edited by Wicked ace; 06-21-2018 at 08:36 PM.
Old 06-21-2018, 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by Wicked ace
What makes you think the 3.5 EB will not be affected by altitude? Aid density is air density, there is less oxygen available at your altitude and the barometric pressure is considerably less. That is why we flat landers have a hard time and get headaches at 10,000 ft.
ive had several turbo’d vehicles up here at altitude. I never said it won’t affect turbod vehicles. It will affect turbod vehicles 1/2 as much as naturally aspirated vehicles. That’s a proven fact.
Old 06-21-2018, 09:19 PM

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Love my 2015 Lariat FX4 and it's more than enough truck for my uses. But if cost wasn't a primary consideration and my choice was between a Raptor and a Lariat? I'd chose a Raptor just because it's a Raptor.
Old 06-21-2018, 09:28 PM

Received 238 Likes on 165 Posts

Buying used right?

The 11-14 F150 Ecoboost could be had with the 3.73 rear end with having to go to a HDPP.

Raptors are over priced IMO and that may carryover to used ones.

The FX4 might save you some hassle but for real off roading, you probably need to put aftermarket stuff on them. Stock F150s are for pavement first. Raptors maybe not but then price difference would buy a lot of upgrades.

Good luck
Old 06-21-2018, 10:19 PM
PPPPPuppy Power

Received 887 Likes on 653 Posts

The raptor rides just as good, and in my opinion better, than a regular f150.

If you are thinking you want one, just get one as you don't want to be in this same boat in another few months.
Old 06-21-2018, 11:01 PM

Received 74 Likes on 49 Posts

I was slated to get a Raptor, but I couldn't justify the 10K markup at the time. I instead got a Platinum Ecoboost. I love my truck, but now I wish I got an F250.

I'm pretty sure almost 90 percent of Raptor owners won't utilize the Raptor's abilities.
Old 06-21-2018, 11:08 PM

Originally Posted by SilentSteel
I was slated to get a Raptor, but I couldn't justify the 10K markup at the time. I instead got a Platinum Ecoboost. I love my truck, but now I wish I got an F250.

I'm pretty sure almost 90 percent of Raptor owners won't utilize the Raptor's abilities.
Ugh, your comment about the diesel is only adding to my indecisiveness now LOL. I toyed with the idea of getting a turbo diesel, but I thought that would be overkill for my purposes. I need to tow a few times a year, but only up to 7500 lbs. I wouldn't need a diesel for that. The ONLY reason I could think to justify a diesel for me is having all that torque to get through heavy snowfalls.

I actually do some offroading. I'm fortunate in that there are a ton of off-road trails within an hour of where I live, so I actually would make use of the Raptor's capabilities.

Quick Reply: Buyers Remorse...I should have bought a...