Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brakes grinding/pulsing but not when in neutral?

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2019, 06:49 PM
Inherit my life

Received 155 Likes on 97 Posts

Default Brakes grinding/pulsing but not when in neutral?

Obviously not the brakes. Big question what is it?

Before someone says IWE it still does it when in 4H. That was the first thing I tried.

After driving/warming up for 5 minutes or so I get the typical "warped rotor" pulse with a pretty nasty grinding sound once it gets below 10mph during a stop. After my 4H test to eliminate the IWE I took it on the interstate late at night and bedded the pads till I got the brake fade then drove it without stopping for 15 minutes to let everything cool down. Still had the problem. Tonight I decided to try stopping in neutral and wouldn't you know the noise was gone. Tried the next stop in gear and grinding was back.

I always search before asking questions in case someone has already solved a similar problem but I really didn't see anything. Any thoughts?
Old 05-17-2019, 07:07 PM

Received 312 Likes on 227 Posts

I don’t have an answer but have a similar issue. However I’ve had the front left IWE replaced twice and the right one replaced once and I’m only at 60,000 miles. My grinding brakes are intermittent. Of course once it does it, I start up and try to stop again and they work fine. No idea what the issue is
Old 05-17-2019, 07:10 PM
Inherit my life

Originally Posted by KYBuckeye
I don’t have an answer but have a similar issue. However I’ve had the front left IWE replaced twice and the right one replaced once and I’m only at 60,000 miles. My grinding brakes are intermittent. Of course once it does it, I start up and try to stop again and they work fine. No idea what the issue is
I'm only at 17,000 miles. 2017 5.0 BTW. Have you tried dropping into neutral when stopping?
Old 05-17-2019, 07:43 PM

Received 120 Likes on 69 Posts

What made you think to try it in neutral? That's a troubleshooting step I would NEVER think to try.
Old 05-17-2019, 07:53 PM
Inherit my life

Originally Posted by emerilnut
What made you think to try it in neutral? That's a troubleshooting step I would NEVER think to try.
Why not? If the grinding persists in neutral it's gotta be the brakes. If not it's somewhere in the drivetrain. Just a logical way to troubleshoot. Divide and eliminate.
The following users liked this post:
emerilnut (05-17-2019)
Old 05-17-2019, 09:04 PM

Received 312 Likes on 227 Posts

Originally Posted by I'm Broken
Why not? If the grinding persists in neutral it's gotta be the brakes. If not it's somewhere in the drivetrain. Just a logical way to troubleshoot. Divide and eliminate.
Im going to try that once my brakes grind more regularly. I have t tried yet.
Old 05-17-2019, 09:06 PM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Rear diff? With it in neutral the driveshaft wouldn't have as much load on the pinion. Maybe change the diff oil and check for metal flakes. Maybe find a steep grade and slowly climb it in forward and reverse to see if the grinding sound occurs just using drivetrain load.
Old 05-17-2019, 11:25 PM
Inherit my life

Originally Posted by van462
Rear diff? With it in neutral the driveshaft wouldn't have as much load on the pinion. Maybe change the diff oil and check for metal flakes. Maybe find a steep grade and slowly climb it in forward and reverse to see if the grinding sound occurs just using drivetrain load.
You know I took my truck in already complaining that I found an oil stain directly under my rear diff one time and one time only. It was enough to make a 12" or so stain on my driveway. Service guy said he checked it out and found nothing and levels were good. Said it possibly was overfilled and overflowed out. I'll try your suggestion. Thank you.

Quick Reply: Brakes grinding/pulsing but not when in neutral?