Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The Brake Failure Issue - Your thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2018, 01:50 PM

Received 404 Likes on 256 Posts

Default The Brake Failure Issue - Your thoughts?

As we know, there are plenty of threads relating to issues some of us have with our trucks such as driveline vibrations, poor performing seat cooling, door alignment, rear end bounce etc. But I have to admit, this particular one regarding brake failure has me spooked.

There was another thread recently started regarding sudden and complete brake failure. To me, there are two conditions that trump all others when it comes to vehicle safety, loss of brakes and loss of steering. Either of which can have fatal consequences.

Everytime I read another post about this, I find myself questioning if I want to continue to own my 2016 Lariat FX4 based on the fact that this condition can occur completely out of the blue with no warning whatsoever. I’d like to think that I would have fast enough reflexes and judgment to handle the condition, but I also worry about my wife driving the truck with this “jack in the box” condition. Complete brake failure is something that is just not supposed to happen with a modern vehicle.

I’ve read the various threads regarding this issue and have been trying to gauge how much of an issue this is. Some of the posters claiming to have had this issue signed up on the forum solely to post their complaint and then disappeared, never to participate in the forum again. I’ve also read that the 3.5 EcoBoost was more prone to this issue for some reason but then found owners of the 5.0 and 2.7 have had this occur also.

Bad batch of parts? Poor design? Random occurrence or based on specific conditions? Is there any rhyme or reason as to when this issue might occur?

Just curious to know what your thoughts are on this potentially very dangerous condition.

Last edited by seadragon; 07-17-2018 at 02:25 PM.
Old 07-17-2018, 02:21 PM

Received 430 Likes on 329 Posts

while I have seen a few reports of brake issues I've only see the one brake failure incident and I've got to look now but I don't know if that was a build failure. I'll look it up in a moment.

While I often hate to advocate for the safety system of the DOT certification in this case I think I probably should. If there was a real issue there would already be a recall issued. Especially in today's climate for vehicle issues. In fact I have to say if there is one good thing to come from the exploding airbag debacle is the heightened concern for self reporting of safety recall notices.

SO I don't know I would worry so much about it.
The following users liked this post:
seadragon (07-17-2018)
Old 07-17-2018, 02:24 PM

Received 291 Likes on 225 Posts

Originally Posted by seadragon
As we know, there are plenty of threads relating to issues we have with our trucks such as driveline vibrations, poor performing seat cooling, door alignment, rear end bounce etc. But I have to admit, this particular one regarding brake failure has me spooked.

There was another thread recently started regarding sudden and complete brake failure. To me, there are two conditions that trump all others when it comes to vehicle safety, loss of brakes and loss of steering. Either of which can have fatal consequences.

Everytime I read another post about this, I find myself questioning if I want to continue to own my 2016 Lariat FX4 based on the fact that this condition can occur completely out of the blue with no warning whatsoever. I’d like to think that I would have fast enough reflexes and judgment to handle the condition, but I also worry about my wife driving the truck with this “jack in the box” condition.

I’ve read the various threads regarding this issue and have been trying to gauge how much of an issue this is. Some of the posters claiming to have had this issue signed up on the forum solely to post their complaint and then disappeared, never to participate in the forum again. I’ve also read that the 3.5 EcoBoost was more prone to this issue for some reason but then found owners of the 5.0 and 2.7 have had this occur also.

Bad batch of parts? Poor design? Random occurrence or based on specific conditions? Is there any rhyme or reason as to when this issue might occur?

Just curious to know what your thoughts are on this potentially very dangerous condition.
I know someone who experienced this issue and had his master cylinder replaced. He sold it not too long ago due to other problems he experienced. He reported his complaint to the NHTSA and was told it was being investigated. That was it.

My own experience with my 5.0 is that the brake pedal feel is inconsistent and has me worried as well. That being said, I've never lost my brakes but wonder if it could happen with no warning and what would happen if I was approaching an intersection or a stopped vehicle. Considering Ford has been known to recall or fix only certain years despite the indication that the problem is much broader, I'd err on the side of caution for the safety of your family. My wife no longer drives our truck due to a number of things, one of them being the way the steering wanders randomly and for no reason at all, and an occurrence of the adaptive cruise slamming on the brakes with nobody in front of her nearly getting her rear ended by a semi. The latter was addressed in a recall for 2015s but ignored for 2016s despite the issue being present in them as well. While some of these things are avoidable with caution...they should not need to be avoided. I don't blame my wife for her hesitation to drive this vehicle. Nor do I blame anyone who is concerned for their safety considering Ford's lack of concern for quality or their lack of desire to stand behind their products when faced with safety related defects.
The following 2 users liked this post by gopherman:
CrankCase (05-28-2019), seadragon (07-17-2018)
Old 07-17-2018, 02:30 PM
Gone Golfin

Received 2,270 Likes on 1,391 Posts

I'm more worried about being hit by lightning than my brakes failing.
The following 2 users liked this post by idrive:
cthusker (07-17-2018), seadragon (07-17-2018)
Old 07-17-2018, 02:47 PM

Received 430 Likes on 329 Posts

So looking back there have been a number of brake issues on F150's and a number of them seem to be 2015-6 models various versions - master cylinder issues. and I don't see a recall off hand but I didn't look that hard - but there is a TSB out to check them carefully and to test them for pressure if brought in for brake issues.

So there are issues with master cylinders and there is another issue with 17's and sticking calipers. The master cylinder bit I believe is still being investigated but they are tracking replacements still.
seadragon (07-17-2018)
Old 07-17-2018, 03:11 PM

Received 436 Likes on 342 Posts

I've only read about ONE such failure, and the guy had the brake fluid level BELOW minimum, so it was understandable. If you check your truck, like you're supposed to, you'd catch any leaks ahead of them being dangerous by noticing a lower brake fluid level (or any other fluid level). Yes, it'd be an inconvenience, but at least you wouldn't be in any danger of brake failure. Sorry to put it like that, but the brake failure is not Ford's fault, but the owner's fault for failure to check his vehicle. What is Ford's fault is to have leaks, or faulty components, so I'm not excusing them at all for that. But it'd be the same thing if you don't check your oil, your engine blows up, and blame Ford for your engine failure. Anyway, it's sad to see so many issues after the lenght of time it's been in production, and the massive numbers made, but unfortunately, it's how public companies work nowadays, where profits are always #1, whether they accept ir or not. Also important is that the number of people complaining is a very small fraction of units sold, so we have to take that into account as well. My last Ford was a 1997 F150 4x4 with the 5.4 Triton that needed an overhaul due to a bad case of piston slap. My truck was fairly new, and Ford didn't want to replace the block, so I just sold it. Hope to have better luck with this truck. He he. I'm a bit concerned as well, but since I always check all my fluids, I'm not concerned about having total brake failure, engine failure due to lack of oil, or any other catastrophic issue due to negligence to check my vehicles. Good luck to you too.
seadragon (07-17-2018)
Old 07-17-2018, 03:16 PM

Received 404 Likes on 256 Posts

Originally Posted by elptxjc
I've only read about ONE such failure, and the guy had the brake fluid level BELOW minimum, so it was understandable. If you check your truck, like you're supposed to, you'd catch any leaks ahead of them being dangerous by noticing a lower brake fluid level (or any other fluid level). Yes, it'd be an inconvenience, but at least you wouldn't be in any danger of brake failure. Sorry to put it like that, but the brake failure is not Ford's fault, but the owner's fault for failure to check his vehicle. What is Ford's fault is to have leaks, or faulty components, so I'm not excusing them at all for that. But it'd be the same thing if you don't check your oil, your engine blows up, and blame Ford for your engine failure. Anyway, it's sad to see so many issues after the lenght of time it's been in production, and the massive numbers made, but unfortunately, it's how public companies work nowadays, where profits are always #1, whether they accept ir or not. Also important is that the number of people complaining is a very small fraction of units sold, so we have to take that into account as well. My last Ford was a 1997 F150 4x4 with the 5.4 Triton that needed an overhaul due to a bad case of piston slap. My truck was fairly new, and Ford didn't want to replace the block, so I just sold it. Hope to have better luck with this truck. He he. I'm a bit concerned as well, but since I always check all my fluids, I'm not concerned about having total brake failure, engine failure due to lack of oil, or any other catastrophic issue due to negligence to check my vehicles. Good luck to you too.
I agree that checking the fluid levels is the owner’s responsibility. However, my understanding of this particular issue is that a seal gives out between the master cylinder and the brake booster which causes a sudden and complete loss of brake fluid. So, the brake fluid reservoir can go from normal to empty with the brake pedal going to the floor all at once. I’ve read probably about a dozen or so posts on this forum in various threads of this happening.
Old 07-17-2018, 03:17 PM
Gone Golfin

Received 2,270 Likes on 1,391 Posts

I read or participate in several different car forums which include mfg's from Japan to Germany.

After spending the last 30 minutes doing quick searches in eight different forums regarding brake failure, not one has a clean record. They all have had an issue of some sort whether it was 1-2-5- or 10 years ago.

There is no such thing as the perfect automobile. Are brake failures acceptable? No, of course not but it is going to happen, some where, some how. Best you can do is be informed and do you due diligence and stay aware and be prepared. Some perhaps will just pray....

Then there is me, Inspect the auto you drive once a week and drive like everyone is out to get you. Works for me.

ymmv
seadragon (07-17-2018)
Old 07-17-2018, 06:04 PM

Received 76 Likes on 44 Posts

I said this on one of the other "Brake Failure" threads... After buying my '16, my brother told me about his friend with a '16 and his master cylinder failed, and it was at my dealership.... I had to go back a few days later to get something the salesman got for me, and I asked him about it... he said there were 2 F150's (I think they were both '16's) "back there" with failed master cylinders waiting on parts. It concerned me for a while, but I don't think about it now. I do know where the e-brake is!
Old 07-17-2018, 11:34 PM

Received 1,264 Likes on 1,083 Posts

I read every post in this thread and there's not a single first hand account of a brake failure. Or a link to a first hand account. Does anyone have any verified facts? More than my first cousin's brother-in-law knew somebody. No offense. There's just no meat in this sandwich.

And the "e-brake" is not an emergency brake. It's a parking brake and would probably go up in smoke if used at speed to try to stop a truck. Just saying...

Quick Reply: The Brake Failure Issue - Your thoughts?