Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

BoxLink is garbage, and considering bed rail solutions

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2017, 10:07 AM
Flaccid Member

Received 569 Likes on 358 Posts
Angry BoxLink is garbage, and considering bed rail solutions

I've made some progress with fabricating a bike mounting system based on the BoxLink, but I abandoned it in favor of an upright (wheel-on) option. My interest is mostly in finding a good solution to secure bikes in the bed on top of my Decked deck. I've seen some creative methods here on the forums using Quick Fists to mount tools, and other users have come up with some good mounting systems that involve reinforcing the flimsy OEM cleats. I've heard of some people using e-tracks, and others saying that they don't work well. Whatever the case, it shouldn't take as much thought and effort as some have put into it.

After playing around with these for a few months, I'm comfortable in saying that the BoxLink system is complete garbage. It had potential, if either Ford or an aftermarket manufacturer had taken on the task of making more mounting devices for the interface plates. But the awful, fixed-position cleats just don't cut it, and I'm left trying to figure out how to do what I want to do in spite of it being the only existing tie-down method offered from the factory... at least, the only one accessible above my deck.

What I think I would like to do is mount rails like those in the Toyota and Nissan trucks. Maybe not the same, but similar. Core-Trax? Versa-Tie? Has anyone else done this? My biggest concern is fastening rails to the aluminum tub securely without causing too much damage.
Old 02-23-2017, 10:14 AM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

https://www.f150forum.com/f118/boxli...e-rack-305074/
Old 02-23-2017, 10:26 AM
Flaccid Member

Yeah. I fabbed up one of those. It worked OK... but it's a fork mount solution, not an upright solution. And the cleats were the weak link in the system.

You might notice that I posted on the last page of that thread a month and a half ago.

Last edited by DeltaNu1142; 02-23-2017 at 10:33 AM.
Old 02-23-2017, 10:32 AM

Received 482 Likes on 304 Posts

The rail is still the feature I miss the most from my Frontier. Nissan never really advertised it as much as Toyota but their system was far superior and worked with pretty much anything unistrut.

Had a couple fork mounts bolted right to the rail, worked great. Being able to move tie-down locations depending on what you were hauling was nice too.

I do miss the 6-speed manual too, just not in heavy traffic or when towing.
Old 02-23-2017, 02:46 PM
Blunt

Received 1,074 Likes on 722 Posts

Why not a hitch mount? I used mine a lot, much easier than the bed. Great for camping too when my bed is full of coolers and firewood. If you tow, you can get one of those splitters so you can still tow a trailer with the hitch mount.

I had an Xterra before that also had the utilitrack in the cargo area. SUPER handy! Was also the 6-speed manual, which I miss a lot.
The following users liked this post:
michaelweez (10-25-2019)
Old 02-23-2017, 03:42 PM
Flaccid Member

I have a hitch mount, Thule, 4-bike model. I used it last weekend. I'm not a huge fan of it. It doesn't seem very secure. I don't see myself losing a bike, but they sure bounce around a lot even on paved roads. I shudder to think what could happen off the beaten path. Aside from that, my wife's bike's frame doesn't fit on it well. I end up having to hang the frame under one of the arms, rather than around/over.

I'd be happy to find an in-bed solution that lets me toss the bike in upright and take off. Saturday, I'm probably just going to throw the bikes in the bed and pull some bungees over them. I'd like a slicker solution.

But the real point of this thread was to point out that I'm dissatisfied with the BoxLink system and see if anyone has installed rails.
Old 02-23-2017, 03:57 PM

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

I agree with you 100%, this is the one part of the f150 that really sucks compared to the competition IMO. Having those rails opens up a lot of mounting solutions from different fabricators and companies for those other vehicles.

I ordered some L-track that I'm going to bolt to the cleats for securing my cargo down. The predrilled holes in the l-track don't match up with the holes in the cleats so you'd have to drill a few new holes in the l-track though. I have test fitted one 48" section and I have studs that bolt to the rail with a Kuat Dirt Big attached to it, ill take a mock up pic and post it here. My main intention is to use the l-track for helping secure my camping cargo and gear down when offroading though.

http://www.uscargocontrol.com/Ratche...Tie-Down-Rails

http://www.uscargocontrol.com/Ratche...d-Stud-Fitting

I mountain bike a lot, I just use a tailgate pad though so I can easily haul multiple friends bikes when shuttling. If you don't like a tailgate/shuttle pad you might want to look into a Yakima bedrock and then adding roof rack bike trays to that or getting a Thule Bed Rider. If you have a 6.5 ft bed a Thule Instagator would be another in bed option. I think with the decked system you will be limited to the thule bed rider or Yakima bed rock ideas though. Can't you just mount rail to the top of your decked system?

Last edited by Climb2Descend; 02-23-2017 at 04:00 PM.
Old 02-23-2017, 05:20 PM

Received 43 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackBoost
Why not a hitch mount? I used mine a lot, much easier than the bed. Great for camping too when my bed is full of coolers and firewood. If you tow, you can get one of those splitters so you can still tow a trailer with the hitch mount.

I had an Xterra before that also had the utilitrack in the cargo area. SUPER handy! Was also the 6-speed manual, which I miss a lot.
I agree 100% Putting a bike in the bed is only if you can't afford a proper bike rack. I have a Thule 4 bike carrier and you barely have to lift the bike off the ground to secure it. ...Versus putting bike in bed, climbing in bed and hoping you don't scratch something along the way.

With my Thule straps pulled tight, the bike can bounce all it wants but it ain't going anywhere.
The following users liked this post:
michaelweez (10-25-2019)
Old 02-23-2017, 05:28 PM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

what I want is a bar that goes into the interface plates that is e-track all the way along it on the opposite side so you have e-track running the full length of ur bed on both sides!

maybe I should have just bought a windowless van. anyone want free candy?
Old 02-23-2017, 05:44 PM

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by OmegaF150
I agree 100% Putting a bike in the bed is only if you can't afford a proper bike rack. I have a Thule 4 bike carrier and you barely have to lift the bike off the ground to secure it. ...Versus putting bike in bed, climbing in bed and hoping you don't scratch something along the way.

With my Thule straps pulled tight, the bike can bounce all it wants but it ain't going anywhere.

Lots of benefits to bike in the bed. I've done the whole bike rack on a truck before, not into it, I even had a really nice one (Kuat NV). It makes the wheelbase of the truck very long, which sucks for backing up and parking in small trail lots. Bike rack also blocks backup camera. Depending on handlebar width you have to organize the bikes in different ways, lowering seats etc. If someone rear ends you, there goes several thousand dollars in bikes along with your truck. You can't lower your tailgate down, so access to the bed is limited.

Quick Reply: BoxLink is garbage, and considering bed rail solutions