Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Blocking Off Intercooler Gap In Bumper?

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2019, 05:03 PM
___

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Blocking Off Intercooler Gap In Bumper?

When I purchased my truck, the first thing I did was take off the ugly front license-plate mount (holder). I now have the gaping space in front of the active shutters and intercooler, but I've noticed some trucks do not.

The first photo is a photo of what my truck currently has and the second photo is a photo of what I was considering doing.

Spoiler

Spoiler

Here is the exact part: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Original-Fo...d/223308575921

Has anyone done this before? If so, do you have issues with overheating? I'm unsure if this gap exists for air to flow into, or if air flows through the grill and moves downward. Most F-150's I see have the gaping hole like I do, but on rare occasion, I'll pass one that doesn't. I suspect this may be a difference between either trim levels or US and Canadian trucks, but I'm not entirely sure. Half the time, I swear the shutters are closed anyways, but I don't want to do anything that would disrupt the proper flow of air. Thanks!

Last edited by ___; 02-06-2019 at 05:15 PM.
Old 02-06-2019, 05:24 PM

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

If you have the ecoboost you can not install that cover. Your intercooler will get little or no direct air flow to it.

that is for the 5.0L only.
The following 2 users liked this post by Caldwell54:
rbird2 (02-06-2019), ___ (02-06-2019)
Old 02-06-2019, 05:28 PM
Village Sociopath

Received 10,073 Likes on 6,507 Posts

I take it you have an EcoBoost. You have the open lower grille, the 5.0's have the closed grille with the fake louvers. But, and it's a BIG but, some of us have taken the 5.0 lower, opened up the space between the louvers, and stuck them on our EgoBoosts. I know of at least 3 of us on here have done that, and none of us has a problem with the CAC or charge air getting hot. I can monitor my temp, and even in summer heat, IIRC, the hottest I ever saw at the throttle body was around 122F.
Here's a front shot of mine.
The following users liked this post:
___ (02-06-2019)
Old 02-06-2019, 05:28 PM

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Ecoboost trucks have the opening. I cant imagine covering it up wouldnt affect cooling to the intercooler. The shutters will open when intake air temps start to rise.

The interesting part is the pre 15 ecoboost trucks had the license plate off to the side to not cover up the opening.

Ideally your intake temps really shouldnt be much higher than ambient while driving.

Last edited by Jhous3s; 02-06-2019 at 05:30 PM.
___ (02-06-2019)
Old 02-06-2019, 05:37 PM
___

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I do in fact have a 3.5 EcoBoost. I might actually consider purchasing the one I linked and doing some cutting on it since JohnDay mentioned it. Looks much better than the regular opening you'd have otherwise. Thanks for the replies and help everyone!

@johnday That's a good looking truck! It seems you've removed your lower air-dam deflector as well, correct? Has that caused you any noticeable issues? Mine scrapes quite often when taking on steep inclines even though I'll angle the truck and not go head on. Something about the deflector gives the truck a slightly ugly front appearance in my opinion. Even worse when they've been poorly cut to allow room for larger wheels, lol.
Old 02-06-2019, 05:51 PM
F150 Forum

Received 546 Likes on 334 Posts

I agree that you definitely do not want to block off the intercooler on an Ecoboost truck or it could have a negative impact on the intercooler's efficiency. We do also offer an optional modification in our tuning that can force the active grille shutters to stay open all the time or even disable them for customers with upgraded intercoolers that have removed the AGS system all together.
Old 02-06-2019, 06:09 PM
Ezekiel 25:17

Received 2,371 Likes on 1,215 Posts

Originally Posted by johnday
I take it you have an EcoBoost. You have the open lower grille, the 5.0's have the closed grille with the fake louvers. But, and it's a BIG but, some of us have taken the 5.0 lower, opened up the space between the louvers, and stuck them on our EgoBoosts. I know of at least 3 of us on here have done that, and none of us has a problem with the CAC or charge air getting hot. I can monitor my temp, and even in summer heat, IIRC, the hottest I ever saw at the throttle body was around 122F.
I opened up my 5.0 insert like that about a year ago but I’ve also tested the EcoBoost insert. With a Whipple blown 5.0 and the heat exchanger mounted directly behind that opening my IAT’s are identical. I’ve logged them with the different inserts several times from our so called winters to the heat of summer and can’t find a difference.
johnday in BFE (02-06-2019)
Old 02-06-2019, 06:10 PM
Village Sociopath

Received 10,073 Likes on 6,507 Posts

Originally Posted by ___

@johnday That's a good looking truck! It seems you've removed your lower air-dam deflector as well, correct? Has that caused you any noticeable issues? Mine scrapes quite often when taking on steep inclines even though I'll angle the truck and not go head on. Something about the deflector gives the truck a slightly ugly front appearance in my opinion. Even worse when they've been poorly cut to allow room for larger wheels, lol.
Thank you. I removed the air dam the first whole day I had it home, thought it was ugly myself. The Owners Manual mentions it can be removed for extra clearance as well.On my '12, I had it on for a couple months, then took it off for winter. I noticed no issues other than better looking without it on both trucks, the ones on the '19's look even worse!!
Old 02-06-2019, 09:31 PM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I installed a T-Rex bumper grille to fill in that space in the bumper on my truck. Simple to install and plenty of airflow, if you shop around you can find them at much less than the list price, check Amazon warehouse deals in particular.
Old 02-06-2019, 09:33 PM

Received 989 Likes on 667 Posts

Originally Posted by johnday
Nice truck!!

Quick Reply: Blocking Off Intercooler Gap In Bumper?