Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Black/Machined wheels - hold up to winter abuse?

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2017, 04:43 PM

Received 78 Likes on 41 Posts

Default Black/Machined wheels - hold up to winter abuse?

Ok, so I've been searching for aftermarket wheels I like for what seems like a very long time. As soon as I find a set of wheels I like, I find out they aren't officially rated for winter use. All of the wheels that are rated for winter use don't really do it for me. I'd like to run my wheels year round (I'm up in Canada, Toronto area), which means through "salt season" on the roads around here.

Who here runs their black/machined wheels year round through northern climates? I'm specifically looking at Fuel Coupler or Fuel Beast wheels, but have also considered similar styles from other brands. All of which my installer is telling me "not recommended for winter". If I rinse them off once in a while in the winter, will they be ok? Anyone have experience doing this?

And yes I know I can just keep my stock wheels, mount winter tires, and switch them out every fall/spring. But I don't really want to do that, plus I'd like to sell the stockers to offset the cost of the new wheels. And my duratracs are fantastic in the winter anyways...
Old 03-28-2017, 06:31 PM

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Tagged
Old 03-28-2017, 07:21 PM

Received 100 Likes on 88 Posts

There are coatings you can put on your wheels that would help during winter. They say its similar to the ceramic paint protection sealant.
Old 03-28-2017, 09:04 PM

Received 226 Likes on 138 Posts

I ran some AR wheels through the winter and the clear coat peeled. Not sure if it was a quality issue or the salt, but I was disappointed because they were not cheap.
Old 03-29-2017, 07:59 AM

Originally Posted by jtnuge
There are coatings you can put on your wheels that would help during winter. They say its similar to the ceramic paint protection sealant.
This is an interesting idea. Got a link to any particular product designed for this?

Originally Posted by crankinaway
I ran some AR wheels through the winter and the clear coat peeled. Not sure if it was a quality issue or the salt, but I was disappointed because they were not cheap.
Were these wheels machined with a clearcoat over top? Take the Fuel Coupler for example, painted black with machined accents with dark tint. I'm told there is a clearcoat over the tinted machined accents, but my installer is saying that clearcoat isn't robust enough to protect against winter salt.

Anyone running Fuel or similar machined accents wheels that can provide first hand experience running them in the winter?

Thanks.
Old 03-29-2017, 08:25 AM
HD4

Received 46 Likes on 31 Posts

I have run Fuel wheels on a couple trucks now. This one only about 7000 mile since Jan no issues. I had Fuel wheels on a 2012 Suburban that went through 2.5 winters and 90,000 miles and there were no issues with finish. I live in NE and travel up and down east coast, often North to NY, Ct, MA, Vt
Old 03-29-2017, 08:29 AM

Originally Posted by HD4
I have run Fuel wheels on a couple trucks now. This one only about 7000 mile since Jan no issues. I had Fuel wheels on a 2012 Suburban that went through 2.5 winters and 90,000 miles and there were no issues with finish. I live in NE and travel up and down east coast, often North to NY, Ct, MA, Vt
Thanks for the feedback. Which Fuel wheels were you running? Apparently the solid painted finish wheels are ok. It's the ones with machined accents that are the issue. Although I'm not sure I believe this, as there is still a clearcoat over the machined parts. I know I've seen people locally running similar wheels in the winter. Just not sure if they're incurring any damage to the wheels...
Old 03-29-2017, 08:36 AM
HD4

Received 46 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by freerider11
Thanks for the feedback. Which Fuel wheels were you running? Apparently the solid painted finish wheels are ok. It's the ones with machined accents that are the issue. Although I'm not sure I believe this, as there is still a clearcoat over the machined parts. I know I've seen people locally running similar wheels in the winter. Just not sure if they're incurring any damage to the wheels...
20x9 Fuel Boost
Old 03-29-2017, 08:49 AM

Awesome, thanks. Those are indeed machined. If you didn't have any problems with them through salt season, then this give me hope...
Old 03-29-2017, 08:52 AM

Received 226 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by freerider11
This is an interesting idea. Got a link to any particular product designed for this?

Were these wheels machined with a clearcoat over top? Take the Fuel Coupler for example, painted black with machined accents with dark tint. I'm told there is a clearcoat over the tinted machined accents, but my installer is saying that clearcoat isn't robust enough to protect against winter salt.

Anyone running Fuel or similar machined accents wheels that can provide first hand experience running them in the winter?

Thanks.
Yes they were cleared over the machined areas.