Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bilstein 5100 reviews from actual people

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2018, 11:27 AM

Received 195 Likes on 158 Posts

Exclamation Bilstein 5100 reviews from actual people

Guys,

I've been looking at getting Bilstein 5100's installed all the way around on my 2017 F150. I have had it since new last year, but I feel like in the 15k miles I've put on it, the shocks have gotten worse over time. Seems like it is the small sharp bumps that are the worst (think small potholes, bad road gaps, railroad crossing) and cause the truck to shudder (best description i can give).

I would like to hear from those that have installed the 5100's all the way around and give your best detailed description on how ride has changed with the new shocks. Thank you

Also, if anyone knows a good place to get them installed in the Des Moines, Iowa area that would be great
Old 04-09-2018, 11:59 AM

Received 426 Likes on 291 Posts

I have the 5100's on the rears of 2017 Lariat and they greatly helped reduce the hoping around IMO. Don't have the fronts done yet because the MORONS at Bilstein's have yet to get them back in stock! They've been back-ordered since Dec 2017 which is pathetic. Seems like they really don't care either............ terrible inventory management IMO.
The following 2 users liked this post by cthusker:
Nature Rancher (03-01-2020), SHO4CY (04-09-2018)
Old 04-09-2018, 12:05 PM
2015 F150 PLATNIUM Anch

Received 634 Likes on 313 Posts

I own a 2015 Screw 6.5 bed and placed 5100 front and back . My truck is stock height and the ride is fantastic ! Such a big improvement over OEM and at a reasonable cost
The following 2 users liked this post by leckbandg:
cthusker (04-09-2018), SHO4CY (04-09-2018)
Old 04-09-2018, 01:30 PM

Received 195 Likes on 158 Posts

Thanks guys, I know there has to be quite a few more people that can chime in on this
Old 04-09-2018, 01:34 PM

Received 81 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by cthusker
I have the 5100's on the rears of 2017 Lariat and they greatly helped reduce the hoping around IMO. Don't have the fronts done yet because the MORONS at Bilstein's have yet to get them back in stock! They've been back-ordered since Dec 2017 which is pathetic. Seems like they really don't care either............ terrible inventory management IMO.
In Bilstein's defense, I don't think they could have possibly predicted Ford turning out their trucks with such a sub-standard OEM shock/strut combo. In response, demand has been through the roof for the 5100s. What if Ford had done their job properly and outfitted the F-150 with safe and adequate shocks, and Bilstein produced them by the millions? Then Bilstein would be left holding a warehouse full of product that nobody was willing to purchase.

Instead, Bilstein just produced enough to meet past demand, they sold out quickly when everyone's F-150 started hopping all over the road on uneven pavement, and now they are scrambling to meet demand. Happens all the time in every industry. They could have fixed the whole situation by increasing price to curb demand, but then everybody would have screamed 'price gouging'!

With regards to the OP's question: Other than the Raptor steering wheel, this is my favorite and most useful mod to the truck. I'd like to order it from the factory with 5100's all the way around instead of having to buy the crappy OEMs (only to be thrown away), then buy aftermarket 5100s and install them...

Last edited by ABolt; 04-09-2018 at 01:36 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by ABolt:
blkZ28spt (05-31-2021), OlRanger (04-05-2024)
Old 04-09-2018, 02:29 PM

Received 426 Likes on 291 Posts

Originally Posted by ABolt
In Bilstein's defense, I don't think they could have possibly predicted Ford turning out their trucks with such a sub-standard OEM shock/strut combo. In response, demand has been through the roof for the 5100s. What if Ford had done their job properly and outfitted the F-150 with safe and adequate shocks, and Bilstein produced them by the millions? Then Bilstein would be left holding a warehouse full of product that nobody was willing to purchase.

Instead, Bilstein just produced enough to meet past demand, they sold out quickly when everyone's F-150 started hopping all over the road on uneven pavement, and now they are scrambling to meet demand. Happens all the time in every industry. They could have fixed the whole situation by increasing price to curb demand, but then everybody would have screamed 'price gouging'!

With regards to the OP's question: Other than the Raptor steering wheel, this is my favorite and most useful mod to the truck. I'd like to order it from the factory with 5100's all the way around instead of having to buy the crappy OEMs (only to be thrown away), then buy aftermarket 5100s and install them...
Every online vendor seems to have REAR shocks and zero stock on FRONT shocks. What I don't understand is they've been out of 5100 rears going on 5 months? Didn't anyone notice at Bilstein they were rapidly running out of FRONT shocks? The hopping around wasn't caused by the front shocks nearly as much as the rears IMO. Most simply want the fronts to LEVEL out their trucks IMO. I just didn't care for the way Bilstein handled their out of stock issue with front 5100's. Seems like they mostly told their vendors ZILCH when to expect them back in stock. So customers that wanted the fronts have had no clue when to expect stock. I think the few vendors showing instock dates are just guessing......

In essence Bilstein did raise prices because they have been recommending using the much higher priced shocks if you want to level out your F150. Thanks but no thanks...
Old 04-09-2018, 02:42 PM

Received 129 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by cthusker
Every online vendor seems to have REAR shocks and zero stock on FRONT shocks. What I don't understand is they've been out of 5100 rears going on 5 months? Didn't anyone notice at Bilstein they were rapidly running out of FRONT shocks? The hopping around wasn't caused by the front shocks nearly as much as the rears IMO. Most simply want the fronts to LEVEL out their trucks IMO. I just didn't care for the way Bilstein handled their out of stock issue with front 5100's. Seems like they mostly told their vendors ZILCH when to expect them back in stock. So customers that wanted the fronts have had no clue when to expect stock. I think the few vendors showing instock dates are just guessing......

In essence Bilstein did raise prices because they have been recommending using the much higher priced shocks if you want to level out your F150. Thanks but no thanks...
How much are they quoting for each 5100 shock?
Old 04-09-2018, 02:43 PM

Received 2,584 Likes on 1,503 Posts

I installed 5100s on all 4 corners along with a Hellwig rear sway bar. Huge difference - much more settled in corners, much more sure-footed over bumps/potholes/rutted roads.

The rest of the truck is a turd, but the upgrade was nice.
The following users liked this post:
SHO4CY (04-09-2018)
Old 04-09-2018, 02:47 PM

Received 56 Likes on 37 Posts

Added rear 5100's to my 2016. After the first tow of our travel trailer, the stock shocks had to go. WIth the TT hooked up and the factory shocks on, the back of the truck was like a trampoline (that is with the WDH set up too...). I installed the rear 5100's and the problem is fixed. Towing is WAY better. If you are towing anything with a tongue weight of more than a couple hundred pounds I would say a rear shock upgrade is essential (not sure about more recent F150 models). The side benefit is that when not towing the ride is better too. Where the factory shocks would bounce a couple times, the 5100's return the rear after one deflection. Cornering also vastly improved. Gone is the bouncy Cadilac feeling. At some point, I'll upgrade the front too. By far the best upgrade made to the truck and for only $143 for the pair.
The following 2 users liked this post by mountaintruck:
Nature Rancher (03-01-2020), SHO4CY (04-09-2018)
Old 04-09-2018, 03:02 PM

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Just installed a set of 5100's on the rear of my 2016 yesterday. First impression is way more controlled and firm in the rear. Wheel hop seems to have disappeared on the bumps i was able to hit on my way to work this morning.
The following 3 users liked this post by Meetthetwins:
Dlcobian (06-11-2021), Nature Rancher (03-01-2020), SHO4CY (04-09-2018)

Quick Reply: Bilstein 5100 reviews from actual people