Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best 6" Suspension Lift

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2018, 07:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best 6" Suspension Lift

I have been looking at putting a 6" lift on my 2016 Supercrew. Scrolling though the forums, Rough Country seems to be a popular brand. To the members who have the Rough Country lift or products, what are the pros can cons of their kits? If you had to do it again, would you try a different brand?

If you have a different brand, let me know what your pros and cons are. I am trying to do this only once and I want to make sure I get a reputable brand.

Also, I am going to be install the kit at home. What are tips and tricks for an smooth install and where would you recommend getting an alignment?

Last edited by Firefighter200; 01-26-2018 at 08:07 AM.
Old 01-26-2018, 08:14 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I really like my pro comp stage 2 6” lift. Stage 2 is coil overs rather than strut spacers. Yes it’s more expensive but an affordable option to get coil overs. I went this route to get my exact ride height dialed in. Ride is outstanding, stiffer than factory but that’s expected with the coil overs. A few good spacer kits available aswell...just not adjustable for guys like me that suffer from OCD ha ha!
Old 01-26-2018, 08:31 AM
Size Matters

Received 3,359 Likes on 1,698 Posts

Originally Posted by 64509chvl
I really like my pro comp stage 2 6” lift. Stage 2 is coil overs rather than strut spacers. Yes it’s more expensive but an affordable option to get coil overs. I went this route to get my exact ride height dialed in. Ride is outstanding, stiffer than factory but that’s expected with the coil overs. A few good spacer kits available aswell...just not adjustable for guys like me that suffer from OCD ha ha!
I agree with the Pro Comp Stage 2.

Couple of issues with that setup:

The turning radius sucks
Most sit front end high. I have replaced my Pro Comp 4" block and 1/2" spacer with a one piece 5" block from ReadyLift part # 26-2105.
Old 01-26-2018, 08:38 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by tmcolegr
I agree with the Pro Comp Stage 2.

Couple of issues with that setup:

The turning radius sucks
Most sit front end high. I have replaced my Pro Comp 4" block and 1/2" spacer with a one piece 5" block from ReadyLift part # 26-2105.
Yes the turning radius does suck, however I came from owning heavy duty diesels so it made difference for me lol. Mine installed with the coil overs was actually rear high with the coilovers set how they came...I cranked on them till the rear was only 1/4 in higher than the front & got the final alignment. From what I gather the coilovers “factory settings” are all over the place. Where mine is at now is exactly 6” lift in the front over my factory measuring.
Old 01-26-2018, 08:50 AM

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts

I just installed a RC 6" lift on mine and it was very easy to do at home. I can't comment on the others but I like it so far. I had it aligned at a local auto shop, just call and make sure their equipment can handle the larger tires and wheels.
Old 01-26-2018, 12:15 PM

Received 391 Likes on 256 Posts

Rough Country and Pro Comp are both quality products and reputable companies. Can't go wrong with either.

I have BDS 6" lift and I love it. They also have a good reputation for quality products. The ride is awesome.

I've learned a lot about lifts in the process. Couple of things to think about:

* As the others mentioned, there are two main kinds of lifts for the front: (1) Keeping your stock suspension and adding a strut spacer to provide the lift or (2) Completely replacing the stock strut and spring with a new coilover. You should decide which one you want up-front so you don't have to change later. Mine currently has the strut spacers and the ride is great, but I am upgrading to coilovers. I've actually already bought them, just have to have them installed. But I'd recommended picking now, and sticking with it. Be aware that (to my knowledge) Rough Country does not make a coilover lift. If you want a complete lift kit from one brand and you want coilovers, you'll have to go with someone else. RC does offer an "extended strut" as an option, but that's not the same thing as a proper coilover and it uses the stock coil spring. BTW, there's absolutely nothing wrong with going with strut spacers. I've had mine on for a long time, and as I mentioned, I love the ride. But I do off-road a lot, so decided to upgrade to the coilovers.

* This may not matter, but something to be aware of, the size of the lift is not necessarily the size of the diff drop. For example, you may get 6" of lift with the included lift hardware, but the diff may only be dropped 4" or 5". This still keeps your CV angles within an acceptable 2" range, which is fine if you don't plan on doing any additional height modifications. However, if you do something later to raise it a little more, you may get out of a decent range. I have no idea what the diff drop is for RC's 6" lift. It very well may be 6", and may not. If this is something that matters to you, you may want to call them and ask.

* I'm not mechanically inclined, so doing the install myself was not even remotely an option. That said, I'm pretty familiar with the process (at least for BDS's lift -- can't speak to RC) and it's very complicated. Obviously I have no idea how good you are with a wrench, but just be aware this is not a simple job. Maybe dominatorlp can talk a little more about it. dominatorlp -- did you do all the cutting and welding yourself? Brake line extensions? Driveshaft stuff?

Anyway, good luck! Hope this helped.
The following users liked this post:
SURF150 (06-08-2019)
Old 01-26-2018, 12:31 PM

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Florida_F150
Rough Country and Pro Comp are both quality products and reputable companies. Can't go wrong with either.

I have BDS 6" lift and I love it. They also have a good reputation for quality products. The ride is awesome.

I've learned a lot about lifts in the process. Couple of things to think about:

* As the others mentioned, there are two main kinds of lifts for the front: (1) Keeping your stock suspension and adding a strut spacer to provide the lift or (2) Completely replacing the stock strut and spring with a new coilover. You should decide which one you want up-front so you don't have to change later. Mine currently has the strut spacers and the ride is great, but I am upgrading to coilovers. I've actually already bought them, just have to have them installed. But I'd recommended picking now, and sticking with it. Be aware that (to my knowledge) Rough Country does not make a coilover lift. If you want a complete lift kit from one brand and you want coilovers, you'll have to go with someone else. RC does offer an "extended strut" as an option, but that's not the same thing as a proper coilover and it uses the stock coil spring. BTW, there's absolutely nothing wrong with going with strut spacers. I've had mine on for a long time, and as I mentioned, I love the ride. But I do off-road a lot, so decided to upgrade to the coilovers.

* This may not matter, but something to be aware of, the size of the lift is not necessarily the size of the diff drop. For example, you may get 6" of lift with the included lift hardware, but the diff may only be dropped 4" or 5". This still keeps your CV angles within an acceptable 2" range, which is fine if you don't plan on doing any additional height modifications. However, if you do something later to raise it a little more, you may get out of a decent range. I have no idea what the diff drop is for RC's 6" lift. It very well may be 6", and may not. If this is something that matters to you, you may want to call them and ask.

* I'm not mechanically inclined, so doing the install myself was not even remotely an option. That said, I'm pretty familiar with the process (at least for BDS's lift -- can't speak to RC) and it's very complicated. Obviously I have no idea how good you are with a wrench, but just be aware this is not a simple job. Maybe dominatorlp can talk a little more about it. dominatorlp -- did you do all the cutting and welding yourself? Brake line extensions? Driveshaft stuff?

Anyway, good luck! Hope this helped.
I have a 2WD and the RC kit did not require any cutting or welding. I believe it requires some cutting for the 4WD, but no welding. If you have the time and have another vehicle to drive for a few days, I think it's worth it to do it yourself. Just get a good jack, 4 jack stands, and a good impact wrench. I had never done any automotive work before this besides oil changes.
The following users liked this post:
Florida_F150 (01-26-2018)
Old 01-26-2018, 01:01 PM

Received 391 Likes on 256 Posts

Originally Posted by dominatorlp
I have a 2WD and the RC kit did not require any cutting or welding. I believe it requires some cutting for the 4WD, but no welding. If you have the time and have another vehicle to drive for a few days, I think it's worth it to do it yourself. Just get a good jack, 4 jack stands, and a good impact wrench. I had never done any automotive work before this besides oil changes.
Cool. Yeah, there's some extra work for the 4WD to drop the diff. I probably should've asked the OP if he had a 4x4 or 4x2 before I went on and on! Haha.

Anyway, nice job on the install. Very cool.
Old 01-26-2018, 01:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is great information from everyone. I have been turning wrenches for awhile but this would be something I never tackled before. My Supercrew is 4WD and I just wanted to find the best kit for me. I am not a big pan of cutting but it appears that with any kit, your going to have to cut anyway.
Old 01-26-2018, 02:29 PM

Received 84 Likes on 67 Posts

Yeah no way around not cutting.
Ill be going with a 4" lift and doing either FOX or ICON coiovers no spacers.

Quick Reply: Best 6" Suspension Lift