Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Barricade Tailgate Assist

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2020, 04:06 PM

Received 169 Likes on 114 Posts
Default Barricade Tailgate Assist

I installed the Barricade Tailgate Assist on my 2020 XLT. I use old non-folding ramps a lot for my lawn care and holding them up with one hand and trying to drop the tailgate was a PITA. I'm not sure that dropping the tailgate and letting it bang would actually harm the tailgate, but it probably wouldn't be good for the long run. And you hate to do that to your brand new truck.

It wasn't a hard install but using the little torx wrench they included to get the upper bolt off was hard. Like really hard. If I hadn't found that others had similar problems I never would have worked it hard enough to actually get the bolt off because I would have thought something was wrong.

I needed my wife's greater patience to get the tiny cotter pin type fasteners on the ends of the mechanism but with her smaller fingers (and greater patience) she didn't have a problem.

Works exactly as advertised. Allows the tailgate to go all the way down. Doesn't impede closing it. We shall see how it wears.

The following users liked this post:
Maine-iac (07-01-2020)
Old 06-30-2020, 01:42 PM

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

Why did you chose this over the factory one?
NITRO-FC (07-07-2020)
Old 06-30-2020, 01:50 PM

Received 717 Likes on 366 Posts

Originally Posted by Wolvie70
Why did you chose this over the factory one?
Probably because the factory one is 65-70 bucks and this one and the deezee one are 30 bucks and the install is probaly a little easier not having to pull the tailgate out of the hinge.

I bought and installed the factory one. I love that it's hidden behind the tailgate. I've also seen seen first hand this style one popping off and scratching paint. But it is cheaper.
The following 2 users liked this post by 5pointyote:
Maine-iac (07-01-2020), ScottGreer (07-07-2020)
Old 06-30-2020, 01:51 PM

Received 169 Likes on 114 Posts

To be perfectly honest I didn't know about the factory one until I'd already ordered this one and said what the heck. I guess I assumed that if Ford offered one it would be installed on all of the trucks because it seems like such a no brainer. I did look it up but the installation looked a lot more complicated (cleaner but more complicated).

And as 5pointyote points out, it was about half the cost (although I think it was more like $40. I wouldn't have tried taking off the tailgate and install it either; I'm all thumbs. The simple installation was a bonus to me.

Last edited by Shann; 06-30-2020 at 02:00 PM.
pbergmann (06-30-2020)
Old 06-30-2020, 04:09 PM

Received 166 Likes on 91 Posts

I just installed my factory one I got on amazon almost a year ago this weekend. I have the tailgate step. BTW you cannot just pull the tailgate out if it has the Step..... it has a torsion spring inside to help with raising it. Honestly it doesnt feel like theres any assistance lol. but the damper works awesome. now the tailgate doesnt slam down like a ton of bricks. its nice and slow.
Old 07-01-2020, 12:58 PM

Received 47 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by 5pointyote
Probably because the factory one is 65-70 bucks and this one and the deezee one are 30 bucks and the install is probaly a little easier not having to pull the tailgate out of the hinge.

I bought and installed the factory one. I love that it's hidden behind the tailgate. I've also seen seen first hand this style one popping off and scratching paint. But it is cheaper.
I got the whole factory kit from Autonation White Bear for like $46.
Old 07-01-2020, 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by TheGeek
I got mine on amazon for 68, which was consistent with what others were paying. Sounds like you got a great deal.
Old 07-06-2020, 10:37 PM

Received 60 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by TheGeek
Was this recent? At one point you could buy the two parts separately for about that, but eventually ford changed that and $65-70 seems to be as good as it gets now.
Old 07-06-2020, 11:44 PM

Received 98 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by William Maxfield
I just installed my factory one I got on amazon almost a year ago this weekend. I have the tailgate step. BTW you cannot just pull the tailgate out if it has the Step..... it has a torsion spring inside to help with raising it. Honestly it doesnt feel like theres any assistance lol. but the damper works awesome. now the tailgate doesnt slam down like a ton of bricks. its nice and slow.
It does? I had no problems getting my tailgate off to install the factory damper. I have the tailgate step too. Didn’t see any torsion spring.
Old 07-07-2020, 12:24 AM

Originally Posted by CzchMex
It does? I had no problems getting my tailgate off to install the factory damper. I have the tailgate step too. Didn’t see any torsion spring.
Same. No spring on my 2019 tailgate with the step. Tailgate came right out.

Quick Reply: Barricade Tailgate Assist