Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Back up camera shuts off with trailer connected?

Old 04-03-2016, 09:47 AM

Received 25 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Back up camera shuts off with trailer connected?

I read on here somewhere that the back up camera shuts off when a trailer is hooked up. What brain child thought to do this? I use that camera a ton when my trailer is hooked up. Yes you may ask how and for what. I'll tell you. I use it to double check my buddies helping me without needing to go back to check that they hooked the boat up correctly and put the safety chain on, installed my surge brake over ride correctly and to see they are out of the way not bent over next to the hitch when I start to back up.
The way I see it if I have to go to the back of the truck I might as well do everything they are doing myself. Disabling shutting off the camera automatically should be an option. Why the hell you would shut it off is beyond me. What are they saving by doing this? I imagine it was their way of disabling the sensors that I see people have complained about going off when backing a trailer down. I guess pushing the the button was too much effort so Ford fixed it for them. What they didn't realize was they also disabled a safety check feature.

Yeah yeah yeah what did I do before a backup camera? That's simple. Almost run over my buddy because he bent over and I couldn't see him and thought he was out of the way. Tried to back up and had my surge brakes apply because they didn't install the override key or it fell out. Most importantly risked having my winch strap break and no safety chain was attached to the boat pulling up a steep ramp.

Guess I'll be doing everything myself again...

Oh yeah, that hitch insert I purchased with the FORD emblem that lights up when I put the brakes on is now useless because it too makes the truck think a trailer is attached and shuts off the backup camera......
Old 04-03-2016, 09:51 AM

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

Did you try it? I do not think it turns off with trailer connected, in fact pretty sure about that. Your rear park assist does since it would always detect something close to your bumper.
Old 04-03-2016, 09:57 AM

Received 539 Likes on 334 Posts

Sure glad my '14 doesn't do this.
Old 04-03-2016, 10:56 AM

Received 201 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by articcatbill
Did you try it? I do not think it turns off with trailer connected, in fact pretty sure about that. Your rear park assist does since it would always detect something close to your bumper.
That's my question as well. I've trailered my boat several time and have never had my backup camera shut off.
Old 04-03-2016, 11:38 AM

Received 113 Likes on 91 Posts

Camera still works with trailer. Rear park aid and BLIS are disabled for obvious reasons.
Old 04-03-2016, 11:45 AM
Homestead

Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts

My camera does not shut off with a trailer. Only the sensors shut off automatically with a trailer connected
Old 04-03-2016, 12:37 PM

Received 201 Likes on 106 Posts

Guess you can chalk that lengthy rant up to "Don't believe everything you read on the internet." Thomas Jefferson said that and we should all learn from his wisdom and prophetic words.
The following users liked this post:
Ricktwuhk (04-03-2016)
Old 04-03-2016, 12:41 PM

Received 877 Likes on 568 Posts

Yeah.. Just hauled a trailer this weekend. It works. TL;DR
Old 04-03-2016, 01:17 PM
Trying to figure it out!

Received 677 Likes on 494 Posts

Mine doesn't either. Wouldn't make sense since this would disable the awesome invention of trailer backup assist.
Old 04-03-2016, 01:32 PM

Received 25 Likes on 10 Posts

Ok OK you guys are right. I checked it out and I am happy to say I was misinformed. Both what I read somewhere on this forum and by the installer of my cap saying they had to power the cap lights differently due to the bliss and back up sensors and CAMERA shutting down if they tapped into the trailer wiring. Good to know the camera doesn't shut off. Makes sense that it is needed for the trailer back up assist..... Why I didn't think that thru first......Oh well.
Thanks for the replies everyone. Guess I should have checked for myself first......

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Back up camera shuts off with trailer connected?