Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Avoid Fox 2.0 Coil-overs

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2017, 12:58 PM

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Avoid Fox 2.0 Coil-overs

Like many of you, I spent a good chunk of time debating how to level my truck (2016 F150 Scab 4x4 5.0). I finally convinced myself to go with Fox coil-over replacements for the front and I wish I hadn't. Fox states that they aim for 2" of lift from the factory, but in reality I got barely over .25 inches- essentially OEM ride height. So little height that my 33" tires (with+18 backspacing) wouldn't clear the crash bar. These coil-overs are aluminum threaded and cannot be adjusted while on the truck. Per Fox, you must use a wall mounted spring compressor or you will damage them. The shop I used does not have a wall mounted spring compressor and I certainly do not have one at home. After 25 minutes on the phone with Fox's off-road department, they were less than sympathetic to the vast differentiation between preset ride heights. However, they did offer to send some stickers . That'll be back to a shop and another $500 install and another alignment. I've used Fox on Jeeps and mountain bikes and was pleased with them in the past, but the company no longer takes pride in the product they sell. At $1000 just for front coil-overs, you'd expect a certain degree of product consistency and customer support. I strongly advise not buying these from them.

Update: After getting nowhere with Fox, I called Stage 3 Motorsports- the company that sold them to me. What a stand-up company! They were sympathetic and worked through the issue with me to ensure that the end result was a satisfied customer. Not only are they very knowledgeable, but they also care about their customers. I've never purchased from them before, but they will always have a customer in me after their response to this issue.

Last edited by alpineovernappa; 03-30-2017 at 08:07 PM. Reason: update
The following 2 users liked this post by alpineovernappa:
Syclone Rob (03-30-2017), tjakes680 (04-27-2020)

Popular Reply

03-29-2017, 03:54 PM
ifineed2

Received 26 Likes on 11 Posts

I don't have a dog in this fighting I've not been here a long time, but I've never seen any one of you blatantly attack someone. This site has always been uplifting and encouraging regardless of what is posted...heck even the Trump thread stayed positive. Good god people, give the guy a break and if offer something positive.
Old 03-29-2017, 01:12 PM

Received 50 Likes on 31 Posts

that is kinda of interesting to hear, as i am debating about putting those Coil-Overs on my truck. I wonder what Roush does with their trucks, since they use Fox 2.0 Coil-Overs and the front of the truck looks higher than factory

Last edited by Matt21; 03-29-2017 at 01:19 PM.
Old 03-29-2017, 01:46 PM

Matt, my understanding is that these coil overs can be adjusted up to +2" safely, with some guys going closer to 3" (not advised by fox). My issue with these is that they are inconsistent from Fox, with nearly 2" of range deviation from the factory. They are a PITA to adjust since they have to be fully removed each time. I think these are another victim of Fox's growing pains. They used to be a company with high standards for consistency and stellar customer support. Let me know if you have any questions about the quality of ride on these, but I do recommend that you avoid them for the aforementioned reasons.
The following users liked this post:
tjakes680 (04-27-2020)
Old 03-29-2017, 01:53 PM
Ezekiel 25:17

Received 2,371 Likes on 1,215 Posts

Sounds to my like you should be pissed at yourself and your installing shop for not doing a little research first.
Since I do my own installs...I'd just go to the parts store, rent a strut spring compressor, jack the truck up until the suspension is at full droop, compress the spring and adjust the spring seat as needed. It's not rocket science.
Old 03-29-2017, 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by UNBROKEN
Sounds to my like you should be pissed at yourself and your installing shop for not doing a little research first.
Since I do my own installs...I'd just go to the parts store, rent a strut spring compressor, jack the truck up until the suspension is at full droop, compress the spring and adjust the spring seat as needed. It's not rocket science.
I did extensive research before buying these. That's the method that I've used on all my other coil-overs over the years. These, however, are aluminum bodied with aluminum threads. I talked to Fox's off road vehicle department at length about the options for adjusting them while on the vehicle (which they vehemently insisted was not possible without structural compromise). The springs are very thick and closely spaced. My pneumatic spring compressor will not grab them- wall mounted spring compressor only per Fox. If you research these, you'll find the same. I'm just trying to help others not go through the process of having to install coilovers 3+ times just to attain a level when other companies who make consistent products at similar or lower price points actually stand behind their products.
tjakes680 (04-27-2020)
Old 03-29-2017, 02:11 PM
Ezekiel 25:17

Received 2,371 Likes on 1,215 Posts

Fox has stood behind everything I've ever used from them. From steering stabilizers up to 3" body reservoir shocks....including sending me technical drawings when needed.
They're a damn fine company...you're just pissed and trying to drag them through the mud.
Of course they're not gonna "ok" you doing your own thing. Liability and all....
The following 2 users liked this post by UNBROKEN:
AricsFX (03-29-2017), johndeerefarmer (03-30-2017)
Old 03-29-2017, 02:19 PM
Truck Newb

Received 54 Likes on 29 Posts

This doesn't sound like Fox not standing behind their products. They're telling you how to adjust them, you're just not willing to do it. You're pissed that you didn't have them set properly before you had them installed. That's not their problem. You obviously didn't look into it before you had them installed, or you would have clearly seen that they can't be adjusted on the truck.

There are plenty of people on here that use them, and like them. You look like a fool blaming a company for your ignorance.
Undercover Brother (04-02-2017)
Old 03-29-2017, 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by alpineovernappa
I've used Fox on Jeeps and mountain bikes and was pleased with them in the past, but the company no longer takes pride in the product they sell.
If you again reference my original post, you'll see that I gave Fox credit for being dependable in the past. New product, new experience. If you google how to adjust these, you'll see how many people have destroyed them using the methods you're suggesting.
Old 03-29-2017, 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by BooSSted
This doesn't sound like Fox not standing behind their products. They're telling you how to adjust them, you're just not willing to do it. You're pissed that you didn't have them set properly before you had them installed. That's not their problem. You obviously didn't look into it before you had them installed, or you would have clearly seen that they can't be adjusted on the truck.

There are plenty of people on here that use them, and like them. You look like a fool blaming a company for your ignorance.
Call Fox, ask them what height they're adjusted to from the factory. I did.
Old 03-29-2017, 02:32 PM
Truck Newb

Received 54 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by alpineovernappa
Call Fox, ask them what height they're adjusted to from the factory. I did.
You can look at a coilover and instantly tell how it's set. Google is your friend. Look how easy this was to find.