Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Auto Start Stop Malfuction/ No answers thus far.. any help??

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2019, 07:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Auto Start Stop Malfuction/ No answers thus far.. any help??

Dash board message with auto start stop error
Has anyone encountered this issue where this message appears on the dash and your engine just suddenly shuts off?? I’ve been looking for answers and nobody has any.. not the local dealers.. not ford customer service.. nobody.. I’m really hoping someone knows how to solve this issue. New 2018 STX 2.7 L.. 4x4.. no other issues minus this one which has been recoccuring over the last few months multiple times.
Old 05-13-2019, 08:27 PM

Received 123 Likes on 71 Posts

So it shuts off and doesn’t restart?

i mean I can’t help with the core issue. But you could always unplug that little trailer brake connector in the trailer junction. No other side effects and disables auto start/stop completely.
Old 05-13-2019, 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by deapee
So it shuts off and doesn’t restart?

i mean I can’t help with the core issue. But you could always unplug that little trailer brake connector in the trailer junction. No other side effects and disables auto start/stop completely.
It’s happened that the truck just died as I was rolling to a stop sign and went to hit the gas pedal. It's almost like the truck got caught in between the moving/stopping and hesitated and just shut off. It’s also happened before when I’m already moving at a minimal speed (below 10mph) coming off of a stop sign or a red light.. and i’ll hear and feel like a rumble in the engine and my engine shuts off with this message on the dash. Electronics and AC stay on though.. What's weird is I did what you’re telling me to do back in junuary and the problem still persist. I do not know whats causing this but both times I had to stop fully, put in park and start the damn thing back up again. Good thing I wasn't trying to make a quick turn against traffic.
Old 05-13-2019, 11:12 PM

Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts

Just thinking out loud, but it seems to me that the auto stop start system should rely on at least 2 things before engaging: brake being used and speedometer input that tells the system the vehicle is stopped. It kinda sounds like yours is not getting the speed input and shuts the engine down while it’s still moving.

Hey, just a guess...
Old 05-14-2019, 05:53 AM

Received 123 Likes on 71 Posts

I see what you're saying.

The auto start stop isn't shutting the vehicle off - the vehicle is stalling at a very low speed.
Back in the day (it's been a while for me since leaving auto mechanics) - Fords had what was called an IAC (idle air control) - and when that would get gummed up or start going bad, the vehicle would exhibit symptoms similar to what yours is. I doubt they still use that same part, but there has to be something that allows air to flow into the engine while the throttle is closed.

I guess this doesn't really help - but the vehicle has to be losing one of the following three (air flow, fuel, spark) in order for it to shut off.

I'm really surprised Ford can't monitor the vehicle while it happens...or can they not get it to happen?
Old 05-14-2019, 06:50 AM

Received 311 Likes on 134 Posts

Numerous people have had the same issue. I've seen a few threads on it. Here is one of them.

https://www.f150forum.com/f118/auto-...-error-437920/
Old 05-14-2019, 06:55 AM

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Aroddy2196
Dash board message with auto start stop error
Has anyone encountered this issue where this message appears on the dash and your engine just suddenly shuts off?? I’ve been looking for answers and nobody has any.. not the local dealers.. not ford customer service.. nobody.. I’m really hoping someone knows how to solve this issue. New 2018 STX 2.7 L.. 4x4.. no other issues minus this one which has been recoccuring over the last few months multiple times.
For what it's worth, the wife's 2017 Escape does that also. Exact same scenario as you've described. She doesn't have a trailer brake controller.
Nobody at the local dealership has any clue as to why it does that. Of course, we're the only people they have ever heard of with this unexplainable issue.

I'm worried it's going to do that at the 'wrong' time and cause an accident.
Old 05-14-2019, 07:54 AM

Originally Posted by deapee
I see what you're saying.

The auto start stop isn't shutting the vehicle off - the vehicle is stalling at a very low speed.
Back in the day (it's been a while for me since leaving auto mechanics) - Fords had what was called an IAC (idle air control) - and when that would get gummed up or start going bad, the vehicle would exhibit symptoms similar to what yours is. I doubt they still use that same part, but there has to be something that allows air to flow into the engine while the throttle is closed.

I guess this doesn't really help - but the vehicle has to be losing one of the following three (air flow, fuel, spark) in order for it to shut off.

I'm really surprised Ford can't monitor the vehicle while it happens...or can they not get it to happen?
They say they need to duplicate the issue and while the vehicle has been in their possession for the last 10 days they have not been able to duplicate what has been happening to me.
Old 05-14-2019, 08:03 AM

Received 90 Likes on 63 Posts

I may sound like a broken record but until enough people

File a Vehicle Safety Complaint Safercar National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA)

this may never get resolved before somebody gets injured, or worse. (Yes, it has happened to me.)
Old 05-14-2019, 02:57 PM

Received 45 Likes on 20 Posts

Wow. I would ask for a new vehicle. That is an accident waiting to happen.

Quick Reply: Auto Start Stop Malfuction/ No answers thus far.. any help??