Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Auto start/stop disable via trailer wiring connection

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2018, 06:26 AM

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Auto start/stop disable via trailer wiring connection

OK so I have read literally hundreds of pages on this forum about this and still have a question...

People are using the trailer light plug tester to make the truck think it has a trailer connected and this works but for trucks with back up sensors it disables them (I think- I dont have them so not sure). My problem is that the tester sticks out and lets water in around it if you leave it in all the time.

So, question is, could we just make a jumper (with an led in line) to go between the + and ground terminals inside the trailer hitch plug/socket and then leave the cover closed all the time? Maybe need a couple rather than just 1- not sure what the truck needs to “see” to think it has a trailer connected. This is li
ke the dash switch jumper but no need to take apart the dash...

Quick googlery gave me this pic for the wiring diagram of a trailer plug/tester. Not sure if its right. Anyone?
Old 04-10-2018, 07:24 AM

Received 101 Likes on 82 Posts

You can do the jumper in the dash in about 10 minutes, a lot quicker than reinventing the wheel. The dash comes apart easy with no damage. You could unplug the wire down by the brake pedal, worked for me for 2000 miles with no problems, but I am now Forscanned and never tried towing with the wire unplugged.

Old 04-10-2018, 07:36 AM

Originally Posted by STeXy
You can do the jumper in the dash in about 10 minutes, a lot quicker than reinventing the wheel. The dash comes apart easy with no damage. You could unplug the wire down by the brake pedal, worked for me for 2000 miles with no problems, but I am now Forscanned and never tried towing with the wire unplugged.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qf0dQEUg9VQ&t
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_JRoo4jkBh8&t
I have seen all those but they are all way more complicated than my idea (same jumper idea but you just put it under the cover of your trailer hitch plug rather than take apart your dash to install) if it worked and most importantly, mine is quickly removable for service and doesn’t modify a brand new truck (mine is 5 days old). I will continue to just push the button rather than do either of those fixes- that’s why I am asking this question to the forum. Great ideas but not for me and I have messed with the wiring in many a vehicle so I am not scared but would just rather not on my new rig.
Old 04-10-2018, 08:34 AM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

The wire beside the brake pedal is what I use. When I need to tow I plug it back in, when finished with the trailer I unplug it again. 3 seconds each time, please note that while unplugged you have no turn or brake signal to the trailer but auto ss is disabled, truck works perfectly but if you connect to a trailer it only has tail lights, when plugged in towing then the auto ss is disabled anyway. Works for me just thought I would share.

PS-my disclaimer is that this has worked for me, on my truck for 6k miles now. 18 screw 4x4 5.0 Your truck may be different.
The following users liked this post:
STeXy (04-10-2018)
Old 04-10-2018, 08:49 AM

Received 364 Likes on 254 Posts

That will work, but don't use the 12v+ and GROUND. Use one (or more) of the turn signal/brake light wires and the GROUND. HOWEVER, be aware that it also disables Cross Traffic Alert as well as the Reverse Park Aid.
Old 04-10-2018, 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by Blue Goose
The wire beside the brake pedal is what I use. When I need to tow I plug it back in, when finished with the trailer I unplug it again. 3 seconds each time, please note that while unplugged you have no turn or brake signal to the trailer but auto ss is disabled, truck works perfectly but if you connect to a trailer it only has tail lights, when plugged in towing then the auto ss is disabled anyway. Works for me just thought I would share.

PS-my disclaimer is that this has worked for me, on my truck for 6k miles now. 18 screw 4x4 5.0 Your truck may be different.
Can you post a pic of the wire you are talking about? Missed that in all my reading somehow- sounds good though.
Old 04-10-2018, 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by rliles1
That will work, but don't use the 12v+ and GROUND. Use one (or more) of the turn signal/brake light wires and the GROUND. HOWEVER, be aware that it also disables Cross Traffic Alert as well as the Reverse Park Aid.
I have neither on my XL so sounds like I might be in business.

Actually have an old trailer plug so thought I might just cut the end off and make a little donut that has the right wires in it to just leave plugged in inside the spring loaded cover.

Thanks
Old 04-10-2018, 09:37 AM

Received 2,584 Likes on 1,503 Posts

If you want rid of it, why don't you just disable it with Forscan? Then you don't have to worry about the truck believing a trailer is attached, killing the cross traffic alert, etc.
Old 04-10-2018, 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by tvsjr
If you want rid of it, why don't you just disable it with Forscan? Then you don't have to worry about the truck believing a trailer is attached, killing the cross traffic alert, etc.
I dont really want to re-program a new truck plus I dont have the programmer which I have to think will cost more than what we are talking about/ no learning curve and easy undo. Dont want to have to explain to the dealer when I take it in for service....
Old 04-10-2018, 12:41 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

The box is to the left of the brake pedal, I disconnect the small Black plug at the bottom. I only tow about once a month so this works great for me.
The following users liked this post:
BeninCT (04-10-2018)

Quick Reply: Auto start/stop disable via trailer wiring connection