Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone have to de carb their 5.0

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2019, 08:10 AM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Anyone have to de carb their 5.0

Has anyone here given their 5.0 a spray can of Seafoam through the throttle body?

did it hurt anything? Any issues with the cataylatic converters?

my truck is a 15 with the 5.0 and just turned 108000 miles with 20k towing miles and 88k lugging along in atlanta rush hour traffic.

it is acting like a heavy dose of Seafoam would do it well but I worry about the cataylatic converters.
Old 06-19-2019, 08:14 AM
Super Moderator

Received 4,138 Likes on 2,838 Posts

Originally Posted by Boatbuilder
Has anyone here given their 5.0 a spray can of Seafoam through the throttle body?

did it hurt anything? Any issues with the cataylatic converters?

my truck is a 15 with the 5.0 and just turned 108000 miles with 20k towing miles and 88k lugging along in atlanta rush hour traffic.

it is acting like a heavy dose of Seafoam would do it well but I worry about the cataylatic converters.
just give it the old italian tune up
The following 2 users liked this post by djfllmn:
JoeInPI (06-20-2019), moparado (06-21-2019)
Old 06-19-2019, 08:33 AM

Originally Posted by djfllmn
just give it the old italian tune up
what is that?
Old 06-19-2019, 08:38 AM
Super Moderator

Received 4,138 Likes on 2,838 Posts

what is that?
put your foot to the floor and give er hell
The following users liked this post:
JoeInPI (06-20-2019)
Old 06-19-2019, 08:49 AM

Received 125 Likes on 76 Posts

what is that?
... It comes from, people buy these super exotic high end sports cars, and then let them sit and drive them like a baby.
These high performance engines are not made for light load, they are meant to be hammered hard on a track with the RPMs screaming at redline. They are quite literally, race engines.
This heat and high RPM help clear "crap" out of the engine.
So... "back in the day".... some rich old lady would bring her Ferrari into the dealership and complain that it wasn't running right. The dealership wouldnt do any work, they would just hammer it around a track like the engine wants to be run and clear it out. Return it to the lady, charge her an arm and a leg for a "tune up", when all they did was drive the car hard like it is meant to be driven!

I.E. - Driving your car hard (after properly warmed up) is a good thing for engines. Same concept as taking a car on a long drive is also good for the engine.

F150s are work vehicles regardless of how much leather and LEDs you put on them. They are made for hauling and towing... meaning, the engine is built for abuse. So if you are someone with a feather right foot on the throttle. every now and again it is really good to put your foot to the floor and open the engine up and let it run! Sport mode is a great way to do this!
The following 2 users liked this post by ThunderStruck007:
#1SaintsFan (06-19-2019), angelo7 (06-19-2019)
Old 06-19-2019, 09:04 AM
Gone Golfin

Received 2,271 Likes on 1,391 Posts

To answer your question.

Me: - I wouldn't use Seafoam or anything else. I'm assuming you've changed the plugs recently....
77Ranger460 (06-19-2019)
Old 06-19-2019, 09:09 AM
none.

Received 98 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by ThunderStruck007
... It comes from, people buy these super exotic high end sports cars, and then let them sit and drive them like a baby.
These high performance engines are not made for light load, they are meant to be hammered hard on a track with the RPMs screaming at redline. They are quite literally, race engines.
This heat and high RPM help clear "crap" out of the engine.
So... "back in the day".... some rich old lady would bring her Ferrari into the dealership and complain that it wasn't running right. The dealership wouldnt do any work, they would just hammer it around a track like the engine wants to be run and clear it out. Return it to the lady, charge her an arm and a leg for a "tune up", when all they did was drive the car hard like it is meant to be driven!

I.E. - Driving your car hard (after properly warmed up) is a good thing for engines. Same concept as taking a car on a long drive is also good for the engine.

F150s are work vehicles regardless of how much leather and LEDs you put on them. They are made for hauling and towing... meaning, the engine is built for abuse. So if you are someone with a feather right foot on the throttle. every now and again it is really good to put your foot to the floor and open the engine up and let it run! Sport mode is a great way to do this!

I prefer to use Sport mode for the purpose of committing shenanigans...which is typically whenever I leave the neighborhood.....neighbor with the Drift Miata loves it, HOA prez hates it. Fight the power.
Radam3 (06-19-2019)
Old 06-19-2019, 12:00 PM

Received 45 Likes on 29 Posts

To add to the Italian Tune Up. When I bought my 2016 5.0 with 31k it had a slightly rough idle in the morning and while sitting at lights after about two weeks of me giving it hell she runs very smooth and has for the last 14 months.
As a side note I still run two cans of seafoam through the tanks just before every other oil change but have yet to run it through the intake. I did that to my 2009 Pontiac Vibe when it was 8yrs old and I placed a sheet of white poster board under the exhaust and yes you do get a good amount of carbon out. I always use top tier gas also.
Old 06-19-2019, 12:10 PM

Received 434 Likes on 291 Posts

On a carburetor equipped engine, trickling water in the carb at a fast idle does a fantastic job of cleaning out the top end carbon...Before someone comes along talking about hydrolock, I said trickle, not pour.
Old 06-19-2019, 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by jpeckinp
To add to the Italian Tune Up. When I bought my 2016 5.0 with 31k it had a slightly rough idle in the morning and while sitting at lights after about two weeks of me giving it hell she runs very smooth and has for the last 14 months.
As a side note I still run two cans of seafoam through the tanks just before every other oil change but have yet to run it through the intake. I did that to my 2009 Pontiac Vibe when it was 8yrs old and I placed a sheet of white poster board under the exhaust and yes you do get a good amount of carbon out. I always use top tier gas also.
The problem with atlanta traffic is there are not enough places to open it up good.

I might buy a case and just run it through my next 3 tanks 4 cans at a time.

Quick Reply: Anyone have to de carb their 5.0