Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone gone to repair a scratch yet?

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2016, 12:30 AM

Received 368 Likes on 157 Posts

Default Anyone gone to repair a scratch yet?

Like the title says-anyone tried to fix a scratch themselves yet?

I have a few small ones on my truck and I am curious if anyone has been successful repairing them, and with what product.

I haven't gone to fix a scratch on the 2015 truck, curious if the aluminum/new paint process effects the ability to do this yourself.

Thoughts?
Old 02-01-2016, 12:39 AM

Received 61 Likes on 58 Posts

I have. I used meguires scratch x 2.0 by hand. By hand is usually a lot of work but I can say that the clearcoat on this truck is harder than any other vehicle I've worked to get scratches out on. It took more muscle and more time than any other vehicle I've done.
Old 02-01-2016, 12:40 AM

Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts

I had a small scratch on my A pillar. I went to the parts Dept at the dealership and had them order a touchup stick (bronze fire). I'm no expert by any means but it went on perfect! Can't even tell there was a scratch there.

EDIT...If it's just a scratch in the clear I use a Porter Cable buffer and Wolfgang paint correction products from Autogeek.com. Clear coat scratches are pretty easy to correct.

Last edited by KAVFX4; 02-01-2016 at 12:43 AM.
Old 02-01-2016, 12:48 AM

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

I've used the turtle wax scratch repair kit with good results
Old 02-01-2016, 01:42 AM
Automotive Refinish Tech

Received 1,747 Likes on 1,135 Posts

Originally Posted by Gerrard155

...curious if the aluminum/new paint process effects the ability to do this yourself.

Thoughts?
No. Aluminum does not affect the paint. The paint is the same over aluminum as it is steel.
Old 02-01-2016, 02:04 AM

Received 368 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by mbullock
No. Aluminum does not affect the paint. The paint is the same over aluminum as it is steel.
The process to paint aluminum is entirely different-

http://www.autonews.com/article/2014...oreUserAgent=1

I am pretty sure the end product is similar, but wanted some real world experience on that
Old 02-01-2016, 02:16 AM

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

As mentioned you should invest in a dual action polisher. Generally if your fingernail doesn't get caught in a scratch it can be corrected relatively easy.
Old 02-01-2016, 05:47 AM

Received 142 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by Gerrard155
The process to paint aluminum is entirely different-

http://www.autonews.com/article/2014...oreUserAgent=1

I am pretty sure the end product is similar, but wanted some real world experience on that
Painting aluminum and painting steel is no different. Bare metal is bare metal and there's not too many ways around that. That article simply stated that the drying times for aluminum versus steel were different and now since the entire truck is aluminum versus a mixture, they can streamline the drying process.
Old 02-01-2016, 06:16 AM

Received 77 Likes on 64 Posts

the short answer is yes, and I am still working on it.... here is the long version

Truck is 3 weeks old today, I got the title in the mail on Saturday.
The weather here has been crazy since i purchased the truck in a period of 11 days we had 12 inches of rain, and were tornado warned 3 times, with the closest torndado affecting homes less than 3000 feet away.

The weather has also been cool for Florida, and reading the wax info needs to be warmer than 55 to do a decent job apparently.
So yesterday it was in the 70's, I washed the truck with my 2 sons (2 and 4) and then went to wax the truck by hand.
I am on the drivers side working as i just completed the pax side and I am 1/3 of the way done on the side I am working on.
The boys are in the yard playing, mom is doing some gardening near by.
As I continue to was the drivers side I hear " tic tic screech tic tic screech"
I go to the PAX side and my 2 year old has a rock in his hand, and has decided to use it like a pice of chalk on the side of my truck, from the tail lite all the way to the ecoboost badge on the front door.
My wife saved my 2 y/o life yesterday....
I spend the next hour using what i had, Meguiar's ultimate compound by hand and got a good 75% of it out, the worst of it is on the Pax door and I have ordered scratch x off amazon to see if that will do better than the ultimate compound,
If anything I think being freshly waxed saved the paint, but OMG was I angry.
I get it that my son didnt know it was wrong, so i didnt yell at him, I did let out a few primeval screams and cried a little.

Last edited by swimmarz; 02-01-2016 at 06:32 AM.
Old 02-01-2016, 07:27 AM

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Damn.

. . . Damn!

Quick Reply: Anyone gone to repair a scratch yet?