Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone ever watch Dealer service technician work on your truck?

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2018, 08:15 PM

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

Default Anyone ever watch Dealer service technician work on your truck?

I am getting the leaking oil pan replaced on my 2017 Lariat 3.5 ecoboost tomorrow. There are several threads on this issue and it seems that the replacement can end up leaking as well and a certain repair process should be followed for the best chance of success. I am off work tomorrow and would like to watch the technician do the work if they will let me. Has anyone ever done this?
Old 01-01-2018, 08:19 PM

Received 577 Likes on 390 Posts

Have you ever replaced an oil pan gasket? Really let the Tech work, sit back and relax let them do the job. If it leaks again then they will repair it again.
Old 01-01-2018, 08:31 PM

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Mlarv
Have you ever replaced an oil pan gasket? Really let the Tech work, sit back and relax let them do the job. If it leaks again then they will repair it again.
From my research this particular oil pan being made of "plastic" doesn't actually have a gasket. Just a sealant between the plastic oil pan and metal engine. I would like to make sure that the old sealant is cleaned off properly and that it is allowed to cure for the prope length of time before oil is put back in it.
Old 01-01-2018, 08:44 PM

Received 434 Likes on 289 Posts

Unless you're well known at the dealership it's not going to happen.

First, there are legitimate insurance issues involved (hence the signs on every service bay in the US).

Second, no tech in creation works better or quicker with a customer looking over their shoulder.

On the very, very off chance that the dealership allowed it, you'd have a very irritated tech working on your truck, which is never a good formula for quality work.

Last time I was working on a piece of machinery with an audience, I put down my tools and walked away, and told the tie wearing idiot looking over my shoulder that if I wanted to work for an audience, I would have taken the music scholarship I was offered.
The following 3 users liked this post by gone postal:
crockett56 (01-02-2018), kenv47 (01-02-2018), UncleG (01-02-2018)
Old 01-01-2018, 08:52 PM

Received 59 Likes on 38 Posts

So you want to slide up next to the tech and suggest that he may or may not know how to clean the parts.....
Wow.

He wants to fix it right and fast so he doesn’t get a comeback.

Think about that and try and relate it to whatever you do for a living.
Old 01-01-2018, 08:58 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Find out which tech will be working on your truck and introduce yourself. Then give him $20 and tell him lunch is on you today and leave him alone. It goes along way.
The following users liked this post:
ExpresswayFord (01-02-2018)
Old 01-01-2018, 09:02 PM

Received 401 Likes on 229 Posts

Originally Posted by Rooftop
Find out which tech will be working on your truck and introduce yourself. Then give him $20 and tell him lunch is on you today and leave him alone. It goes along way.
And we have a winner.
The following 2 users liked this post by Brand:
crockett56 (01-02-2018), UncleG (01-02-2018)
Old 01-01-2018, 09:05 PM

Received 1,139 Likes on 713 Posts

Would you want someone standing over your shoulder while you're doing your job critiquing what you do? The problem is not the technician; the problem is Ford using plastic oil pans. For the love of God why Ford? You tried that crap on the 6.7PS in 2011 when it debuted and it had wide spread problems with leaks. Switched back to steel, no more leaking problems.
Old 01-01-2018, 09:45 PM

Received 58 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by gone postal
Last time I was working on a piece of machinery with an audience, I put down my tools and walked away, and told the tie wearing idiot looking over my shoulder that if I wanted to work for an audience, I would have taken the music scholarship I was offered.
I hear that! I work in a relatively high-pressure environment that, at times, is very intense. But management loves to show off our jobs. I do my best to ignore spectators, but it takes away from the ability to concentrate on the task at hand. Fortunately, they aren't around very often any more. It is much harder to do a good job when someone is watching, especially when the job requires attention to the task at hand.
Old 01-01-2018, 09:49 PM

Received 57 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by jason430
I am getting the leaking oil pan replaced on my 2017 Lariat 3.5 ecoboost tomorrow. There are several threads on this issue and it seems that the replacement can end up leaking as well and a certain repair process should be followed for the best chance of success. I am off work tomorrow and would like to watch the technician do the work if they will let me. Has anyone ever done this?
I have watched the tech do the work and am very good friends with the techs and the service managers. And i bring coffee

Quick Reply: Anyone ever watch Dealer service technician work on your truck?