Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone add puddle lights?

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2016, 06:19 PM

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Anyone add puddle lights?

I've searched and can't find anything on it. I have a 2016 f150 sport, I have the cap under the mirror where the puddle lights would normally go, so I figure it shouldn't be to hard to mount some flush leds and run them in the cab. WRONG! Not only can I not find a wire to tap into, but it's almost impossible to run the wire through the door panel into the cab. I'm hoping someone has done this, I have the heated mirrors with the dimming glass. I will keep trying to find a way to mount these and wire them. If anyone has done this please post!
Old 11-08-2016, 10:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kyle stenger
I've searched and can't find anything on it. I have a 2016 f150 sport, I have the cap under the mirror where the puddle lights would normally go, so I figure it shouldn't be to hard to mount some flush leds and run them in the cab. WRONG! Not only can I not find a wire to tap into, but it's almost impossible to run the wire through the door panel into the cab. I'm hoping someone has done this, I have the heated mirrors with the dimming glass. I will keep trying to find a way to mount these and wire them. If anyone has done this please post!
I'm interested in this as well.
Old 11-08-2016, 11:01 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Also interested in adding these / if anyone else has done this. Sub'd.
Old 11-09-2016, 08:54 AM
ModManiac

Received 310 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by kyle stenger
After installing the oem ambient lighting in the truck, i know what you mean, wiring through the doors is major hassle.

This is actually my next mod attempt (well the one to buy, i have some others on the way already).

Service manual is your friend here.

I will skip going through the doors completely and try to do it the factory way.
The mirrors without power fold/puddle/spot have an 8 pin connector, the fancy ones have a 20 pin connector for all that nice stuff. So, no wiring in the mirrors for it. But, the wiring should be close at hand in the driver/passenger door modules.

My Plan:
Add proper pigtail wiring kit to add to the connectors in the door modules.
Driver door module add a pigtail to the 20 pin connector(C501B) in empty Pin 10
Passenger door module add a pigtail to the 20 pin connector(C652B) in empty Pin 10
Enable the puddle lamps in the door modules with forscan if need be...this needs to be studied/determined.

Looks like Parts:
FL3Z-13B375-A Puddle Lamp Left and FL3Z-13B374-A Puddle Lamp Right w/o power fold and Spot light.
FL3Z-13B375-B Puddle Lamp Left and FL3Z-13B374-B Puddle Lamp Right with power fold and Spot light.

Run a wire from the door module service pigtails through to the mirror. Tap the Black or Black/White Ground wire (Pin 8) in the mirrors for ground.

All theory, but should be able to do it without too much hassle.

Service manual doesn't show the puddles as LED, regular lamp, so i suppose you could easily put your own puddles instead of ford parts.

Question? Wonder what difference is with the 2 part numbers? If you have spots do puddles come on too?

Last edited by flsdiver; 11-11-2016 at 02:24 PM.
Old 11-09-2016, 09:29 AM

Received 5,989 Likes on 3,553 Posts

Like most mods, lots of people have done this prior, some to earlier model years, but same process. Some threads include options for replacing the existing lights with LEDs, others installing LEDs or standard puddle lights from scratch:

https://www.f150forum.com/f38/put-pu...-today-169642/

https://www.f150forum.com/f38/finall...uddles-263354/

Site search is not great. You can search this site, or any other site, by typing this into Google:

site:SITENAME/ SEARCHTERMS

Example:

site:www.f150forum.com/ puddle lights
The following 2 users liked this post by Ricktwuhk:
Jockstrap (03-24-2020), Ohsix (03-07-2018)
Old 11-12-2016, 11:49 AM
ModManiac

Update:

I was in the doors again this morning, upgrading speakers...so while there....

I tapped into pin 10 of 20 pin connectors (connector with only 3 other wires in it) on Dirver's and Passenger's Door Modules with some left over wire service pig tails i had DU2Z-14474-AA.
Ran a temp ground.

Hooked up an old 12v led i had as a trial.
No go, no light.

Did some DDM/PDM module compares.
Only thing i found that i could actually program with FORScan was:
DDM
740-04-01 7000 00 BC Old
740-04-01 F000 00 3C New

PDM
741-04-01 7000 00 BD Old
741-04-01 F000 00 3D New

After that the LED would flash very briefly when opening the door.
So, DDM did not like that LED.

Hooked up a spare automotive bulb i had laying around.

Success!

Open Door lamp cam on, close door and after a few seconds it faded to off.

So, if you do this, i would say LED resistor may be required if you go the LED route.

I think i will be ordering the factory puddles and putting them in the mirrors....more to come.

Last edited by flsdiver; 11-12-2016 at 04:22 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by flsdiver:
gardjs2000 (07-12-2020), Lycan76 (01-11-2020), TroyThibodeaux (01-11-2021)
Old 11-12-2016, 04:03 PM

Received 30 Likes on 15 Posts

I was just tempted to tap into the dome light
Old 11-12-2016, 04:24 PM
ModManiac

Originally Posted by Jmula
I was just tempted to tap into the dome light
I assume you mean to run a wire from the cab into the doors...
Way i posted is 100x easier...if you have taken apart a door connector and tried to run wire through that you know what i mean.
Old 11-12-2016, 04:30 PM

Received 30 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by flsdiver
I assume you mean to run a wire from the cab into the doors...
Way i posted is 100x easier...if you have taken apart a door connector and tried to run wire through that you know what i mean.
I have a xl package with powered options not sure if mine is the same and /or worth going through the trouble of going to ford and having them flash something and them charging me for nothing. I've looked into the doors before I see there is a harness plug right there I was going to drill a small hole where there's. A blank pin and run a wire straight through into the door. I highly doubt my doors will ever have to come off and if they do I can just cut the wire and add connectors later on for a quick connect/disconnect option
Old 11-12-2016, 04:40 PM
ModManiac

Originally Posted by Jmula
I have a xl package with powered options not sure if mine is the same and /or worth going through the trouble of going to ford and having them flash something and them charging me for nothing. I've looked into the doors before I see there is a harness plug right there I was going to drill a small hole where there's. A blank pin and run a wire straight through into the door. I highly doubt my doors will ever have to come off and if they do I can just cut the wire and add connectors later on for a quick connect/disconnect option
understand that...advantage to me was i already had the elm327 compatible tool to do it.
To add any factory options to this truck you definitely need one and get comfortable with FORScan.
Nothing is enabled in the computer modules or pre-wired.

Last edited by flsdiver; 11-12-2016 at 04:45 PM.

Quick Reply: Anyone add puddle lights?