Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any Recommendations for a Water Filtration/Softening System?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2017, 01:22 AM

Received 76 Likes on 53 Posts
Default Any Recommendations for a Water Filtration/Softening System?

Considering the fact that I'm now up to a four bucket wash method that also includes a pre-wash with my foam cannon, I realize that I have likely gone at least partially nuts!

But I figure if I've gone this far, I may as well go all the way and install a water filtration system on my outdoor hoses to Help reduce the chance of spots when I can't get to the drying stage fast enough. The fact that these trucks are huge is great for interior space, but a pain in the ***** when you're trying to get the whole truck washed before sections start to dry!

Have any of you guys or gals installed an outdoor water filtration system to help reduce water spots?

There are no shortage of options available, so it would be great to get a recommendation from someone with first hand experience.

Thanks!
Old 02-27-2017, 01:24 AM

Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts

Want to know this as well...
Old 02-27-2017, 09:46 AM

Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

Are you just looking to soften just your hose bibs or your whole home? I have a kinetico system. They're more expensive than the generic electric systems you can get from home depot but definitely worth it.
Old 02-27-2017, 09:56 AM

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

I use a CR Spotless DIC-20. I have had it a little over a year and it works as advertised.
Old 02-27-2017, 10:44 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

My current house has a bathroom at the entry way, so I put a Tee on the cold water line. One goes back up to the faucet and the other has a hose bib and shut-off ball valve. Since the rest of the house is softened, it works well.
I still get a few spots as we have very hard water, so those hard minerals are just replaced with salt instead. But it comes off much easier with a microfiber towel vs the hard water spots, and salt is less abrasive.

If you do have a home water softener but don't have a soft water source close to your garage like I do, you could put a 3-way valve setup on your outdoor hose bib. One goes to the main hardwater line like it is now, then switch the valves to access the softened water.
Here's a quick drawing:

Last edited by bloodytosser; 02-27-2017 at 11:06 AM.
Old 02-27-2017, 10:53 AM

Received 99 Likes on 79 Posts

Does anybody use one of those in-line filters/softeners? I'm looking at the same thing as I come into carwash season
Old 02-27-2017, 12:12 PM

Received 48 Likes on 22 Posts

CR Spotless are De-Ionizing filters. I used products from The Filter Guys http://www.thefilterguys.biz/di_systems.htm

and put together my own filter system just for final rinse water. I use a Garden Sprayer wand on the end of the discharge hose from the filters to final rinse (similar to this)
Amazon Amazon

It's not a high flow system like the CR Spotless but it works well for me, and was much more affordable.

My water is really hard so I did not want to incur the expense of running all my wash water through a system because it would deplete the DI resin too quickly.
I buy bulk Color Changing DI resin from the filter guys to recharge my own filter cartridges. I have them set up in a bank of three filters in series so as the color changes in the first and then the second, (which indicates they are depleted) I can move the third filter to the first position and recharge the other two and never have to worry about spots in my final rinse water.
I normally finish dry with The Absorber
Amazon Amazon
But I would not have to. The DI water dries spot free.
Old 02-27-2017, 01:02 PM

Received 99 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by Bret (OH)
CR Spotless are De-Ionizing filters. I used products from The Filter Guys http://www.thefilterguys.biz/di_systems.htm

and put together my own filter system just for final rinse water. I use a Garden Sprayer wand on the end of the discharge hose from the filters to final rinse (similar to this) https://www.amazon.com/EcoRaider-Pre...garden+sprayer

It's not a high flow system like the CR Spotless but it works well for me, and was much more affordable.

My water is really hard so I did not want to incur the expense of running all my wash water through a system because it would deplete the DI resin too quickly.
I buy bulk Color Changing DI resin from the filter guys to recharge my own filter cartridges. I have them set up in a bank of three filters in series so as the color changes in the first and then the second, (which indicates they are depleted) I can move the third filter to the first position and recharge the other two and never have to worry about spots in my final rinse water.
I normally finish dry with The Absorber
https://www.amazon.com/Absorber-3490.../dp/B001HXMG74
But I would not have to. The DI water dries spot free.
Would you be willing to post pictures of your setup? I'm interested in doing something similar and I'd like to see how you got your connected to your hose line.

I'm trying to do something in-line on my outside hose, possibly with a bypass valve so I can switch between regular water and spot-free rinse to save the resin.
Old 02-27-2017, 01:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have you guys ever tried to use your rain water??

I'm from Germany but life in the states for a few years now. Back in Germany it's not allowed to wash your car at home. We did it anyway but water is also more expensive over there. So we always used rain water, what we collected in a big tank. My dad put a mesh filter on that tank to get the big debris out and in was the best stuff you can use.

1. Soak the car with tab water
2. Clean with soap
3. Rinse off with tab water
4. Rinse the hole car with rain water
5. Let it dry or dry it with a leather

it will be spotless ether way
Old 02-27-2017, 02:04 PM

Received 143 Likes on 84 Posts

When I built the house I ran a soft water line from the house into the garage terminating in a regular hose bib for both hot and cold water. If you already have a water softener this might be an easy solution for you.