Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any good Lift FAQ's?

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2018, 11:31 PM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Question Any good Lift FAQ's?

Looking to research lift options for my 2018 4WD .. Trying to determine the height I want to go, and what the Good/Better/Best options are. Goals are to fit 35"s in a 20x12 flavor, with a -44 offset, if possible. I can go less, but i do like the negative offset look over 0 or positive. Trying to determine if I want to go 4" or 6" but certainly no bigger. I'm on the road 90% of the time.

I do not want to trim anything if possible.. Is this possible with a negative offset in a 20x12?

If there is a faq or a page, link, site, etc that details the various options, brands, and what i'm looking at (trimming, fabrication, etc) for install of the kits that would be huge.
Old 05-30-2018, 01:03 AM

Received 145 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by DatacomGuy
Looking to research lift options for my 2018 4WD .. Trying to determine the height I want to go, and what the Good/Better/Best options are. Goals are to fit 35"s in a 20x12 flavor, with a -44 offset, if possible. I can go less, but i do like the negative offset look over 0 or positive. Trying to determine if I want to go 4" or 6" but certainly no bigger. I'm on the road 90% of the time.

I do not want to trim anything if possible.. Is this possible with a negative offset in a 20x12?

If there is a faq or a page, link, site, etc that details the various options, brands, and what i'm looking at (trimming, fabrication, etc) for install of the kits that would be huge.
Tire choice will matter. In 35X12.50 size, measurements differ. For example: Toyo MT (35X13.0); Nitto Trail Grappler (35X13.4) vs Cooper STT Pro (34.69X12.4).
Also, some lifts don't give a true 6", so lift brand matters a bit too. In any case though, you'll have to cut the crash bars on a 6" lift. Depending on brand of lift and brand of tire, it will still rub the body on the rear side of the front inner fender. I've done most every 6" lift and the 7" ReadyLift and the only lift that cleared 35's on 12" wides was the 8" FTS.

4" lift: MAJOR cutting
The following users liked this post:
DatacomGuy (05-30-2018)
Old 05-30-2018, 09:30 PM

Originally Posted by thatdudethere
Tire choice will matter. In 35X12.50 size, measurements differ. For example: Toyo MT (35X13.0); Nitto Trail Grappler (35X13.4) vs Cooper STT Pro (34.69X12.4).
Also, some lifts don't give a true 6", so lift brand matters a bit too. In any case though, you'll have to cut the crash bars on a 6" lift. Depending on brand of lift and brand of tire, it will still rub the body on the rear side of the front inner fender. I've done most every 6" lift and the 7" ReadyLift and the only lift that cleared 35's on 12" wides was the 8" FTS.

4" lift: MAJOR cutting
Wow, so cutting on both 4 and 6"? ANY lifts that dont require cutting? And what type of cutting are we talking about? Just some trim on crash bars, or more?

This is why we need a faq
Old 05-30-2018, 11:12 PM

Received 93 Likes on 74 Posts

Wow, so cutting on both 4 and 6"? ANY lifts that dont require cutting? And what type of cutting are we talking about? Just some trim on crash bars, or more?

This is why we need a faq
More. Like cutting the frame.
Old 05-30-2018, 11:16 PM

Originally Posted by Jfabes

More. Like cutting the frame.
Ouch. And thats on all heights, all brands?
Old 05-30-2018, 11:40 PM

On a 4wd, 4" and up on all the lifts I'm aware of.
Old 05-31-2018, 01:15 AM

Not all heights. An 8" lift will clear under most circumstances. Below that, all brands of 6" lifts will require cutting the crash bars and still likely rub the body.
Old 05-31-2018, 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by thatdudethere
Not all heights. An 8" lift will clear under most circumstances. Below that, all brands of 6" lifts will require cutting the crash bars and still likely rub the body.
To clarify, I was referring to cutting of the frame to get the lift in, not crash bars or anything else.
Old 05-31-2018, 09:00 AM

Originally Posted by Jfabes
To clarify, I was referring to cutting of the frame to get the lift in, not crash bars or anything else.
Unless unless you've got a 2-wheel drive, you will have to cut that cross member leg, so the differential and front drive shaft can drop through that area.
Old 05-31-2018, 04:47 PM

Received 391 Likes on 256 Posts

Just to clarify a bit more for OP, if you "level" your truck, you're adjusting the front struts / coilovers either by replacing the coilovers with taller ones, or adding a "spacer" to the existing ones to make them taller. The end result is your truck is higher, but nothing else changes. It is reversible. The downside is that nothing else changes. The front axles coming out of the front differential, and other suspension components have to sit at slightly different angles than Ford intended to reach the new height of your truck. This is why you can only level to a max of maybe around 2.5" Any higher and those angles are too extreme and "might" cause problems.

A lift is entirely different. It still raises your truck, but in addition, the frame and suspension components are altered so that the front differential is dropped back down. This puts the front axles back at the proper angles that Ford intended. That's why you can go 4" or 6" high with a lift, and not with a level. A lift drops the diff back down to where it's supposed to be. But, as others have mentioned, the process of dropping the diff requires altering the frame which is pretty permanent.

Quick Reply: Any good Lift FAQ's?