Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another fine mess I find myself in.....

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2017, 12:51 PM

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Another fine mess I find myself in.....

Or a compilation of a perfect storm of everything turning to crap....----
First off I am 73 yo, retired, and recovering from a stroke and a recent knee replacement. This is not a plea for sympathy, just pertinent info
Got my new FX4 in Sept.,'16, wanted a bed cover and saved a little each month from my S.S. check and finally could afford one. Ordered a MX4 from ''RDP Store'', it got here in 4 days....Fedex set it on the ground beside carport,,, a guy repairing my roof picked it up for me and placed it in the bed of the truck. [ right arm and hand still numb, right knee still sore ] The staples in one end of the shipping box had pulled loose, and there was a tear on the cardboard also. I pulled the flap up, Bak had taken large plastic bags and filled with spray foam and molded the folded top and other parts to fit the box--- looks good, how could it be damaged??? Everything that is,,,, except the aluminum mounting rails, I found out later--- those were on the outside between the packing and cardboard---- and one was damaged and bent to crap....
I contacted Victor @RDP about this--- he was SUPER!!! He said, ''Email pics and we will send it back'',,,, Well, sure enough,, as with a lot of other 73 yo's,, I am ''computer challenged'' and did not want to wrestle the heavy box to re-seal it, and would have to go buy a refrigerator dolly to even get it inside a return shipping organization. I just needed one rail,, maybe I can buy a replacement..... called Bak. They said, ''Bend over-- grab your ankles,, we are going in dry,, $269 for a SET''!--No Sir, I only need one to replace the damaged one due to LESS THAN OPTIMAL packaging---- ''NO!! We only sell sets at about a third of the price of the complete package''. So much for their concern for customers,,
Needless to say, I am disgusted with the whole situation,, and will not give that business another cent--- not throwing good money after bad. Not sure yet what will develop, but I will probably dump the POS off the truck in a gully in the back pasture-- and start saving again for another-- from a manufacturer that actually cares about their customers and will work with them. And again--- RDP was first class--- he just doesn't have much to work with... Choose your manufacturer VERY CAREFULLY............

Popular Reply

02-27-2017, 02:51 PM
nethinim

Received 36 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by widetrax
The only help that I actually need is a new rail,, my grandson over in Tuscaloosa will install it for me---- we found the bent rail last Saturday, when I went over. Bak won't help-- just try to scalp me......irritating and frustrating situation....

E.T.A.--- Been so aggravated, and not realizing the factory would not help a customer out, I didn't give enough consideration to this. Now--- refusing to be sodomized by an unhelpful manufacturer--- I will take this bent-up rail to a body shop,, or sheet metal shop,, and see if they can straighten it..
widetrax
just spoke to Kevin at BAK I explained the situation to him about your physical and computer limitations. his direct number is 1-734-926-2027 he understands the situation and said he will work with you. he said he has the ability to use discression in the area of documentation in order to just get a replacement rail out to you.

I told kevin I am on this forum with tens of thousands of members all reading this and it might not look so good for bak

I hope he did not blow smoke up my butt but give it a try.

I am a physical therapist and applaud your not letting things hinder your activities.

let me know how it goes
Old 02-27-2017, 01:10 PM

Received 150 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by widetrax
Or a compilation of a perfect storm of everything turning to crap....----
First off I am 73 yo, retired, and recovering from a stroke and a recent knee replacement. This is not a plea for sympathy, just pertinent info
Got my new FX4 in Sept.,'16, wanted a bed cover and saved a little each month from my S.S. check and finally could afford one. Ordered a MX4 from ''RDP Store'', it got here in 4 days....Fedex set it on the ground beside carport,,, a guy repairing my roof picked it up for me and placed it in the bed of the truck. [ right arm and hand still numb, right knee still sore ] The staples in one end of the shipping box had pulled loose, and there was a tear on the cardboard also. I pulled the flap up, Bak had taken large plastic bags and filled with spray foam and molded the folded top and other parts to fit the box--- looks good, how could it be damaged??? Everything that is,,,, except the aluminum mounting rails, I found out later--- those were on the outside between the packing and cardboard---- and one was damaged and bent to crap....
I contacted Victor @RDP about this--- he was SUPER!!! He said, ''Email pics and we will send it back'',,,, Well, sure enough,, as with a lot of other 73 yo's,, I am ''computer challenged'' and did not want to wrestle the heavy box to re-seal it, and would have to go buy a refrigerator dolly to even get it inside a return shipping organization. I just needed one rail,, maybe I can buy a replacement..... called Bak. They said, ''Bend over-- grab your ankles,, we are going in dry,, $269 for a SET''!--No Sir, I only need one to replace the damaged one due to LESS THAN OPTIMAL packaging---- ''NO!! We only sell sets at about a third of the price of the complete package''. So much for their concern for customers,,
Needless to say, I am disgusted with the whole situation,, and will not give that business another cent--- not throwing good money after bad. Not sure yet what will develop, but I will probably dump the POS off the truck in a gully in the back pasture-- and start saving again for another-- from a manufacturer that actually cares about their customers and will work with them. And again--- RDP was first class--- he just doesn't have much to work with... Choose your manufacturer VERY CAREFULLY............
Wow, for a 73 yo who is computer challanged .....you sure can type!!!
Old 02-27-2017, 01:16 PM
Some guy

Received 2,021 Likes on 1,284 Posts

I bet if you found a couple of strapping young folks and offered them ten bucks or some beer, they'd be more than happy to help you pack that up and ship it off.
Old 02-27-2017, 01:22 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

did someone say beer!?!?!!
Old 02-27-2017, 01:23 PM

Received 577 Likes on 390 Posts

Where you at I can almost bet if there are some other forum members close they would be willing to help. Also call FedEx and explain your situation they may be able to help you out
Old 02-27-2017, 01:26 PM
Some guy

Looks like somewhere near Germantown, Delaware.
Old 02-27-2017, 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by Martian
I bet if you found a couple of strapping young folks and offered them ten bucks or some beer, they'd be more than happy to help you pack that up and ship it off.
The problem with that is, I now live very rural,,, 80 miles away from the kids and grandkids... As for being ''computer challenged'',,, I can type, structure sentences, copy and paste--- about my limit. I never, ever had fooled with a computer until 6 1/2 years ago until I retired when my [ deceased ] wife went under Hospice care,
Old 02-27-2017, 01:28 PM
Some guy

If you're in a rural area, perhaps there are some farmers who would be willing to lend a hand? It doesn't sound like an incredibly difficult job for someone of able body
Old 02-27-2017, 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by Mlarv
Where you at I can almost bet if there are some other forum members close they would be willing to help. Also call FedEx and explain your situation they may be able to help you out
The only help that I actually need is a new rail,, my grandson over in Tuscaloosa will install it for me---- we found the bent rail last Saturday, when I went over. Bak won't help-- just try to scalp me......irritating and frustrating situation....

E.T.A.--- Been so aggravated, and not realizing the factory would not help a customer out, I didn't give enough consideration to this. Now--- refusing to be sodomized by an unhelpful manufacturer--- I will take this bent-up rail to a body shop,, or sheet metal shop,, and see if they can straighten it..

Last edited by widetrax; 02-27-2017 at 01:38 PM.
Old 02-27-2017, 02:31 PM

Received 65 Likes on 38 Posts

I had the exact opposite experience that you had. I recently had a little incident with my Revolver X2 on my truck. I emailed Bakflip with pictures and they sent out a new unit to me, no problems. Had it delivered within 5 business days. That is pretty good considering I am in Canada.

I would not hesitate to give them more of my money.

Quick Reply: Another fine mess I find myself in.....