Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Android Auto and Apple Carplay

Old 03-19-2018, 06:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Android Auto and Apple Carplay

Does anyone know how you get it to prefer one phone over another phone?
The reason I am asking is when my wife and I are in the truck together we have both phones plugged into the front USB ports so we can keep our phones charged or charge them up before we get to our destination. However I have an Android and she has an iPhone. The thing is whenever she plugs in her iPhone it take over control and turns the head unit into carplay mode and away from Sync3 or my phone.
I also could not figure out how to exit out of carplay mode.
So just wondering if there is something that I do not know about in settings or preferences or if there is one USB port that takes priority over the other.

Thanks
Old 03-19-2018, 07:02 AM

Received 133 Likes on 111 Posts

You need to turn off CarPlay in settings. The other option is to get a 12v usb charger and plug her phone into the charger, rather then the onboard port.
The following users liked this post:
jdkluck (03-19-2018)
Old 03-19-2018, 07:28 AM

I thought about plugging it into a different port or charger, but may try your settings thing first.
Thanks, so mainly when I dont want her phone to take over I need to disable carplay and then when we want to use it go ahead and re-enable it.
Do you know how you would go ahead and re-enable carplay once you disable it, since I dont recall if I seen anything with carplay or android auto settings unless the head unit is actually in carplay or android auto mode to change the settings? So was not sure if I disabled it how I would go about re-enable it or does it just disable car-play for the time/instance and then next time we start the truck or plug the phone back in we would be back at the beginning again and would just have to disable.
Old 03-19-2018, 07:32 AM

Received 577 Likes on 390 Posts

Do like I do. I have a Samsung and my wife uses an iPhone also. I have my Samsung plugged into the USB port and her iPhone plugs into the 12V power point. If she is the only one driving she switches to the iPhone cable in the USB port instead. The 12V power point she uses is the one in the console, that way it is out of the way when not in use. Or go into setting and turn it off and on all the time.

To turn it off and on go to the setting button in SYNC before you plug in the phone.

Last edited by Mlarv; 03-19-2018 at 07:34 AM.
jdkluck (03-19-2018)
Old 03-19-2018, 07:45 AM

Thanks for the information, I will have to check it out. I did not see a power port in the center console. I will have to look when I get home now. Thanks for the tips and suggestion.

Here is another question, when is Ford rolling out support for Waze for Sync3? Is it just one of those things that work through android auto? Since I figured it would work and just show up under apps on Sync3 or just in general. But also did not know if it did not release or supported yet. I just know I read the announcement before I took delivery of my truck.
Old 03-19-2018, 08:09 AM

Received 178 Likes on 125 Posts

Waze is for sure available in Android Auto. Make sure you have both installed on your phone.

In Android Auto, press the navigation button (bottom left) and it should pull up all your navigation options (pretty much Google Maps or Waze).
jdkluck (03-19-2018)
Old 03-19-2018, 08:12 AM

Received 577 Likes on 390 Posts

Originally Posted by jdkluck
Thanks for the information, I will have to check it out. I did not see a power port in the center console. I will have to look when I get home now. Thanks for the tips and suggestion.

Here is another question, when is Ford rolling out support for Waze for Sync3? Is it just one of those things that work through android auto? Since I figured it would work and just show up under apps on Sync3 or just in general. But also did not know if it did not release or supported yet. I just know I read the announcement before I took delivery of my truck.
Android Auto can use Waze now. For the iPhone you must be at Sync 3 Ver 3.X which just released. We are waiting on the Waze App to be brought up so it will work on the Sync 3 Ver 3.X Rumors have it will be released in April.
jdkluck (03-19-2018)
Old 03-19-2018, 08:18 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jdkluck
Does anyone know how you get it to prefer one phone over another phone?
The reason I am asking is when my wife and I are in the truck together we have both phones plugged into the front USB ports so we can keep our phones charged or charge them up before we get to our destination. However I have an Android and she has an iPhone. The thing is whenever she plugs in her iPhone it take over control and turns the head unit into carplay mode and away from Sync3 or my phone.
I also could not figure out how to exit out of carplay mode.
So just wondering if there is something that I do not know about in settings or preferences or if there is one USB port that takes priority over the other.

Thanks
I had the same issue with my girlfriends phone. What I did is go to her device settings and disable apple carplay for her device. That way it can stay plugged in near mine but my Android will stay on the screen.
jdkluck (03-19-2018)
Old 03-19-2018, 08:28 AM
American member

Received 1,058 Likes on 843 Posts

I don't know if it's specific to which OS your Android is running, but I'm running Oreo 8.0 in my HTC 10 and I swipe up to exit, even while the truck is in motion.

I read yesterday where 'swipe up' was going to become standard. Check for updates in the Play Store, if you don't already have it.

https://www.engadget.com/2018/03/17/...-with-a-swipe/

Last edited by Masi1926; 03-19-2018 at 09:43 AM.
Old 03-19-2018, 08:31 AM

Thanks, so mainly it will just run through the phones at this point until it comes to the actual head unit rather than through the phone.
I totally did not think about clicking the nav again to see if Waze was there as an option as it defaulted to google maps. Thanks I will check it out.
Also does anyone know how to disable the android auto from locking out at all while driving or if it can even be done? It is so annoying cause it says sorry locked out while driving. So I cannot go thought and select music or podcast etc when I am moving. Which is stupid because what if you had a passenger in the car playing with the stereo. Just annoying but was not sure if there was a way to disable it so I could actually use it and change podcasts, playlist, etc during the middle of a drive rather than waiting until I get to a stop light or park.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Android Auto and Apple Carplay