Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Amp Research Powerstep Questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2016, 01:32 PM
Size Matters

Received 3,360 Likes on 1,698 Posts
Default Amp Research Powerstep Questions

My 2015 F150 XLT SCrew has a Pro Comp 6" Lift Kit w/ Nitto Terra Grappler G2 LT325/60R20 tires (slightly over 35" tall).

Recently my wife, who is 5'5" tall, rode in a 2016 F150 with OEM Power Deployable Running Boards. She asked if those were available for our XLT. So after some research is looks like Amp Research Powerstep is the best option for me. I have some questions for those of you with first hand experience:
  • Did you install the Amp Research Powersteps yourself or did you have them installed?
  • If you installed yourself:
    • how difficult was the installation
    • how long did it take
    • did the installation require 2 people
    • would you opt to have someone else install if that was an option
  • Where did you purchase and what was the cost of the Amp Research Powersteps? How much was installation?
  • When deployed, how far below the body is the tread step? I'm trying to accurately calculate the actual step height on my vehicle
  • When the step is retracted is it recessed, flush or does the step extend beyond to profile of the cab?
  • For those of you with lifted vehicles, did you find the Powerstep height to be comfortable to get in/out of the vehicle or would you recommend the Powerstep XL series which is 3" lower than the std step
  • Who has opted for the OBD-II pass through harness?
  • Do you have any regrets after installing the Amp Research Powerstep?
Please feel free to post any pictures you fell may be relevant to your post.

Thanks to all who take the time to respond
Old 04-09-2016, 02:20 PM

Received 237 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by tmcolegr
My 2015 F150 XLT SCrew has a Pro Comp 6" Lift Kit w/ Nitto Terra Grappler G2 LT325/60R20 tires (slightly over 35" tall). Recently my wife, who is 5'5" tall, rode in a 2016 F150 with OEM Power Deployable Running Boards. She asked if those were available for our XLT. So after some research is looks like Amp Research Powerstep is the best option for me. I have some questions for those of you with first hand experience:[*]Did you install the Amp Research Powersteps yourself or did you have them installed?[*]If you installed yourself:[*]how difficult was the installation[*]how long did it take[*]did the installation require 2 people[*]would you opt to have someone else install if that was an option[*]Where did you purchase and what was the cost of the Amp Research Powersteps? How much was installation?[*]When deployed, how far below the body is the tread step? I'm trying to accurately calculate the actual step height on my vehicle[*]When the step is retracted is it recessed, flush or does the step extend beyond to profile of the cab?[*]For those of you with lifted vehicles, did you find the Powerstep height to be comfortable to get in/out of the vehicle or would you recommend the Powerstep XL series which is 3" lower than the std step[*]Who has opted for the OBD-II pass through harness?[*]Do you have any regrets after installing the Amp Research Powerstep? Please feel free to post any pictures you fell may be relevant to your post. Thanks to all who take the time to respond
Did you install the Amp Research Powersteps yourself or did you have them installed? Yes
If you installed yourself:
how difficult was the installation-Easy
how long did it take-3 hours
did the installation require 2 people-no
would you opt to have someone else install if that was an option-no
Where did you purchase and what was the cost of the Amp Research Powersteps? $900 at truck alterations
How much was installation? N-A
When deployed, how far below the body is the tread step?- 6" I'm trying to accurately calculate the actual step height on my vehicle
When the step is retracted is it recessed, flush or does the step extend beyond to profile of the cab?-Recessed a bit
For those of you with lifted vehicles, did you find the Powerstep height to be comfortable to get in/out of the vehicle or would you recommend the Powerstep XL series which is 3" lower than the std step
Who has opted for the OBD-II pass through harness?
Do you have any regrets after installing the Amp Research Powerstep?
Old 04-09-2016, 02:44 PM

Received 87 Likes on 64 Posts

Agree with everything Nighthawk said. To add to it, you probley don't need the obdII pass through unless you'll have something plugged in it all the time. You will have no regrets, you'll love em. I had them on my 2015 Lariat. My 5'2" wife love them and i'm 6'2" and found myself using them all the time. The factory boards are useless. With them i was sliding out of my truck instead of using the board which was wearing on the side of my seat.
Old 04-09-2016, 02:54 PM
Size Matters

thank you for your responses.

Any pics?
Old 04-11-2016, 07:48 PM
BOSSLJ

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

Default 2016 fx6

I had not only the 6 in Pro Comp kit put in by my dealer but the Amp power boards too. They are a great accent to the look of the truck, plus they are extremely useful.
Old 04-11-2016, 08:09 PM
Size Matters

Originally Posted by BOSSLJ15
I had not only the 6 in Pro Comp kit put in by my dealer but the Amp power boards too. They are a great accent to the look of the truck, plus they are extremely useful.

Powerstep or Powerstep XL?
Old 04-22-2016, 05:42 PM
Size Matters

If anyone is interested...

With the 76151-01A Amp Research Powerstep deployed, the distance from the plastic trim panel on top of the door sill plate to the top of the Amp Research Powerstep is 12". That same distance with the OEM steps is 8". Therefore ground height of the Amp step is 4" lower than the OEM step.

The 77151-01A Amp Research Powerstep XL series that measurement (distance from the plastic trim panel on top of the door sill plate to the top of the Amp Research Powerstep) is 15". Using that same measurement process, the XL series step is 7" lower than the stock step.

This information is important when choosing the right step for a lifted vehicle

I hope this information is helpful to someone

Last edited by tmcolegr; 04-23-2016 at 07:12 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by tmcolegr:
chrisnack (08-28-2017), Lockelamora (04-23-2016)
Old 04-22-2016, 09:17 PM
F250>F150

Received 917 Likes on 483 Posts

I have a 2015 XLT Sport 302A. I did a 2.5" spacer up front and a 2.25" rear block. I also added 34" tires so the truck sits quite a bit higher than stock. My 5' 1" wife didn't enjoy the stock running boards that came on the truck when it was at stock height, so she really didn't like it once it was lifted. She's thoroughly pleased with the power steps, and so am I.
  • Did you install the Amp Research Powersteps yourself or did you have them installed? Myself.
  • If you installed yourself:
    • how difficult was the installation- Not difficult at all. Just be patient and work through the steps.
    • how long did it take- Took me about 2 hours after unboxing.
    • did the installation require 2 people- Require, no. It helped having someone line up the board on each side to make sure it was even prior to tightening.
    • would you opt to have someone else install if that was an option- No. It was pretty easy.
  • Where did you purchase and what was the cost of the Amp Research Powersteps? How much was installation? I purchased them through a vendor on this site, price was around $1000. N/A on installation cost.
  • When deployed, how far below the body is the tread step? I'm trying to accurately calculate the actual step height on my vehicle- I think it is roughly 6"
  • When the step is retracted is it recessed, flush or does the step extend beyond to profile of the cab? Recessed. Looks good.
  • For those of you with lifted vehicles, did you find the Powerstep height to be comfortable to get in/out of the vehicle or would you recommend the Powerstep XL series which is 3" lower than the std step- I'm happy with the standard size but I'm not as lifted as you.
  • Who has opted for the OBD-II pass through harness? I didn't. Really no point unless you run a tuner or something like that. My tuner plugs in, I download the program, then unplug it.
  • Do you have any regrets after installing the Amp Research Powerstep? None
The following users liked this post:
tmcolegr (04-23-2016)
Old 04-22-2016, 10:38 PM

Received 368 Likes on 283 Posts

I agree with all them above. I installed them by myself and was pretty easy took about 3 to 4 hours. I sold the original running boards that came off the truck for 275.

Really don't need the OBD-II by-pass. I almost bought it and talk myself out of it. Glad I did never needed it.

Last edited by kendive; 04-22-2016 at 11:20 PM.
The following users liked this post:
tmcolegr (04-23-2016)
Old 04-23-2016, 05:30 PM
Size Matters

Done !!

One item worth mentioning. Amp Research's instructions tell you to hook the Negative (-) power wire directly to the battery. That is definitely contrary to Ford's recommendations on our 2015/16 F150s - refer to attachment
Attached Thumbnails Amp Research Powerstep Questions-20160423_171850.jpg   Amp Research Powerstep Questions-20160423_171809.jpg  
Attached Files

Last edited by tmcolegr; 04-23-2016 at 06:01 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by tmcolegr:
gwise06 (01-20-2024), USMCB (05-24-2016)

Quick Reply: Amp Research Powerstep Questions