Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

aluminum mounting hardware?

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2016, 09:18 PM

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts
Default aluminum mounting hardware?

Already searched the F-150 2015+ website and didn't find any conclusive answers.
Husky rear wheel well liners came with steel mounting hardware that bolts to the aluminum. Worried about contact corrosion. Heard that the Ford wheel well liners also come with steel mounting hardware.
Not isolating this question to just wheel well liners. Also, found a couple spots where bed meets the frame where steel frame looks like it comes in direct contact with aluminum bed. like here...

Name:  141_zps99ruqwpl.jpg
Views: 1067
Size:  216.7 KB

Other spots on my truck between steel and aluminum are clearly padded. example...

Name:  140_zpsmw8rhgla.jpg
Views: 834
Size:  211.8 KB

Researching several websites suggests that only aluminum or vinyl hardware should be used to fasten anything to aluminum, avoid steel fasteners making direct contact with the aluminum. Aluminum will be on the receiving end of corrosion when steel meets aluminum.
Important question when owning a new aluminum body truck attached to steel frame. Probably not an issue for most but I live in SW Pennsylvania where corrosion is a real problem and don't want to do anything that might accelerate that corrosion. Anyone with any facts?
Old 07-31-2016, 10:50 PM

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Really? My husky wheel liner (15) was all SEM screws into clips. No dissimilar metals contact. Did they change that?
Old 07-31-2016, 10:59 PM

Received 272 Likes on 201 Posts

You can start with this support form from Ford https://www.fleet.ford.com/truckbbas/non-html/Q-222.pdf.

I need to attach some snaps to the from of the box. The stainless screws wouldn't work so I contacted an aluminum certified Ford body tech. He suggested aluminum pop rivets with nylon washers to isolate. Also use a new, sharp drill bit.

As for a sealant, use GE Silicon II. Doesn't smell like vinegar, but takes a while to cure without the acid.
Old 07-31-2016, 11:52 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

on aircraft, which are much more picky than a truck for corrosion, it is common to use a steel fastener, but you would use an aluminum washer, then steel washer then nut or bolt.
Old 08-01-2016, 12:29 AM
Turbo --> :-)

Received 66 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Thoas Lindemann
on aircraft, which are much more picky than a truck for corrosion, it is common to use a steel fastener, but you would use an aluminum washer, then steel washer then nut or bolt.
Does the aluminum washer have a shoulder that goes inside the aluminum piece to keep the steel fastener to move sideways and touch the aluminum piece? Or the contact is minimal and it doesn't matter?
Old 08-01-2016, 02:26 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Turbo_Bimmer
Does the aluminum washer have a shoulder that goes inside the aluminum piece to keep the steel fastener to move sideways and touch the aluminum piece? Or the contact is minimal and it doesn't matter?
nah just normal washers, contact is minimal and normally you will use something for corrosion when you assemble it.

Its probably more over kill than anything, keep in mind there are tons of motorcycles, cars etc... that use steel fasteners directly into aluminum.
Old 08-01-2016, 06:26 AM

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by jess1
Really? My husky wheel liner (15) was all SEM screws into clips. No dissimilar metals contact. Did they change that?
All the hardware is steel, including the clips that attach directly to the aluminum body of the truck.
Old 08-01-2016, 07:01 AM

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Must've changed, then, as mine came with plastic clips w/metal inserts (nuts). No metal contact...
Old 08-01-2016, 01:05 PM

Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts

Im interested in these answers - I've been planning on picking up the Husky liners, I'll be curious to see what's included for hardware.

I've also wondered the same things where the bed meets the frame! mine is the same way, clearly padded in a couple of spots and not in others...any ideas on this folks??
Old 08-01-2016, 01:17 PM

Received 272 Likes on 201 Posts

Suggestion. Just go on Amazon and buy the Ford OEM set. I did and it comes with the correct hardware and barrier tapes. No drilling and exact fit. Just make sure you get the correct set for your wheel setup (flare or no flare).

Quick Reply: aluminum mounting hardware?