Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Alternative headlight upgrade 2015 xlt

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2016, 12:48 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Alternative headlight upgrade 2015 xlt

I picked up a 2015 in January. Are there any options for headlights that are just brighter than the stock bulbs? Sometimes I'm wondering if my headlights are even on.

I would love LEDs but I'm not looking to shell out that kinda cash.
The following users liked this post:
Fallsmedic (04-05-2016)
Old 04-03-2016, 12:56 AM

Received 149 Likes on 119 Posts

Headlight/Fog Light upgrade

Search this thread for all your questions to be answered...
Old 04-03-2016, 01:00 AM

I'm not looking for HIDs and that seems to be the majority of what people talk about.
Old 04-03-2016, 04:20 AM

Received 241 Likes on 172 Posts

A few things I have noticed when I was going through looking to change out my lights.

1: You can get a better halogen bulb, a lot of people like sylvania silver stars or similar headlights as a replacement bulb. They do have a rep for burning out faster than stock bulbs should though, but will offer better light than stock.

2: A few guys have claimed their lights were aimed too low, and by raising them up a bit they got a lot better output. The idea is, that if they are aimed at the ground 10 feet in front of the truck, they can't shoot light down the road, so you raise them up and the beam of light goes farther.

3: If you want a significant upgrade you are going to have to go HID or LED. It certainly won't hurt spending $30 on some silverstars first though to see if they offer enough of an improvement over stock for YOUR needs.

Good luck finding a bulb that works for you!
Old 04-03-2016, 04:22 AM

Originally Posted by Lockelamora
A few things I have noticed when I was going through looking to change out my lights. 1: You can get a better halogen bulb, a lot of people like sylvania silver stars or similar headlights as a replacement bulb. They do have a rep for burning out faster than stock bulbs should though, but will offer better light than stock. 2: A few guys have claimed their lights were aimed too low, and by raising them up a bit they got a lot better output. The idea is, that if they are aimed at the ground 10 feet in front of the truck, they can't shoot light down the road, so you raise them up and the beam of light goes farther. 3: If you want a significant upgrade you are going to have to go HID or LED. It certainly won't hurt spending $30 on some silverstars first though to see if they offer enough of an improvement over stock for YOUR needs. Good luck finding a bulb that works for you!
I see I see, I'll check them out. Thanks!
The following users liked this post:
Lockelamora (04-03-2016)
Old 04-03-2016, 06:06 AM

Received 113 Likes on 91 Posts

I believe that thread rexey is talking about is basically buying one set of new/better High beams, adapting your current high beams to work in your low beam spot (simple to do) and using your current low beams in your fog lights. Basically all 3 sets are upgraded, but you only have to buy one set. Haven't done it myself, but I might try it. The only problem I remember was some guys saying they were getting flashed by passing cars. Could have been an aiming issue. I remember they just laughed it off, but that's a serious issue to me.
Old 04-03-2016, 07:07 AM

Originally Posted by l3rian
I believe that thread rexey is talking about is basically buying one set of new/better High beams, adapting your current high beams to work in your low beam spot (simple to do) and using your current low beams in your fog lights. Basically all 3 sets are upgraded, but you only have to buy one set. Haven't done it myself, but I might try it. The only problem I remember was some guys saying they were getting flashed by passing cars. Could have been an aiming issue. I remember they just laughed it off, but that's a serious issue to me.
great summery. Fwiw I do remember them talking about flashing but they seemed to say it wasn't much. My thoughts were could be bright could be old people with catteracts. When it's an occasional flash it's hard to tell. My primary issue with this mod is you have to take the bumper cover off to get to replace the bulbs. If I have to replace them every 2 years that's a pita. (Mentioned wearing out sooner). Same issue with the silver stars. I'm still looking for a viable solution as well.
Old 04-03-2016, 07:11 AM

Received 241 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by Rexey
great summery. Fwiw I do remember them talking about flashing but they seemed to say it wasn't much. My thoughts were could be bright could be old people with catteracts. When it's an occasional flash it's hard to tell. My primary issue with this mod is you have to take the bumper cover off to get to replace the bulbs. If I have to replace them every 2 years that's a pita. (Mentioned wearing out sooner). Same issue with the silver stars. I'm still looking for a viable solution as well.
I am sure there are exceptions, but it sounds like with the silver stars it's alot more than once every two years.
Old 04-03-2016, 07:22 AM

Originally Posted by Lockelamora
I am sure there are exceptions, but it sounds like with the silver stars it's alot more than once every two years.
yeah some were saying 8 months to a year. After 3 years that bumper cover will never go on straight again. No way am I going through that bs.
Old 04-03-2016, 09:14 AM

Received 39 Likes on 26 Posts

https://www.f150forum.com/f118/easy-...ht-mod-313120/

Here's the headlight bulb upgrade thread.

Quick Reply: Alternative headlight upgrade 2015 xlt