Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

All in one bed divider, extender, and ramp

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2019, 07:15 AM

Received 221 Likes on 131 Posts
Default All in one bed divider, extender, and ramp

Thought ya'll might enjoy seeing a project I've been working on. All in one bed divider, extender, and ramp. The divider and extender are fine by me, but I still need to think about the how to stiffen the ramp some, so suggestions would be appreciated.

extender

Ramp

Last edited by kehyler; 07-06-2019 at 08:00 PM.
Old 06-19-2019, 04:04 PM

Friendly bump.
Old 06-19-2019, 05:16 PM

Received 430 Likes on 329 Posts

in divider mode what keeps it still? Looks like the bottom would try to slip and slide on along while the top stayed on the pins.

In extender mode is it only held by the 2 carriage bolts through the lower tie down? I would suggest putting another connection ion at the top - might as well hook to the boxlink cleat near by. That way in extender mode it's held firm across top and bottom - incase you have something back there and a sudden acceleration motion.

(picture something pressing against the top of the top board and it flexes too much)

maybe overkill..

On your other question - thicker hinges might help - and by thicker I mean at the hinge pin. Another thought might be to put some extra material at your end plate so there is a interference when closed. Think wedging it is.

Take the end plate screw - use longer ones and a washer under them on one side. that way when the folded all the way out - it interference with the other piece and jams up any slack.

Interesting.

I've been needing to make up a bed divider.
Old 06-19-2019, 06:26 PM
rodent aviator

Received 272 Likes on 145 Posts

The ramp looks like a Darwin award waiting to happen. Nothing to secure it, and it doesn't look strong enough to hold anything heavier than what you can lift by hand anyway. Just walking up it would break it (if it didn't slide off the tailgate).

I suggest skipping the ramp idea for now.
The following users liked this post:
Ericsvt (06-24-2019)
Old 06-19-2019, 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by Skwerl
The ramp looks like a Darwin award waiting to happen. Nothing to secure it, and it doesn't look strong enough to hold anything heavier than what you can lift by hand anyway. Just walking up it would break it (if it didn't slide off the tailgate).

I suggest skipping the ramp idea for now.
I'm going to secure it by tying it into the tie-downs with an eye bolt and rope. The ramp has been tested to 200 lbs, but I'd like to stiffen it a bit further (somehow).
Old 06-19-2019, 07:12 PM

Originally Posted by Napalm
in divider mode what keeps it still? Looks like the bottom would try to slip and slide on along while the top stayed on the pins.

In extender mode is it only held by the 2 carriage bolts through the lower tie down? I would suggest putting another connection ion at the top - might as well hook to the boxlink cleat near by. That way in extender mode it's held firm across top and bottom - incase you have something back there and a sudden acceleration motion.

(picture something pressing against the top of the top board and it flexes too much)

maybe overkill..

On your other question - thicker hinges might help - and by thicker I mean at the hinge pin. Another thought might be to put some extra material at your end plate so there is a interference when closed. Think wedging it is.

Take the end plate screw - use longer ones and a washer under them on one side. that way when the folded all the way out - it interference with the other piece and jams up any slack.

Interesting.

I've been needing to make up a bed divider.
In extender mode, top could get hooked in by rope to the boxlink and the black angle bracket with d-rings on each.

In divider mode, it currently is free at the bottom. I'm not sure how fix that yet.

In ramp mode, I was kind of thinking it might be nice to have a vertical piece between the ramp and the ground that would support the middle. I'm just not sure how to make that work yet.
Old 06-20-2019, 02:49 AM

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts

Here's another potential solution for you is Ready Ramp.

https://readyramp.com/

I keep this in the back of my truck for the last 10+ yrs and use to use it regularly to load and unload my motorcycles and as a bed extender hauling my tools and gear when I went to the track
ztman (07-03-2019)
Old 06-23-2019, 08:49 PM

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

** Buys Ready Ramp... removes hinges and tailgate flange... adds to current wood pieces... Problem solved.
18_Platinum (06-25-2019)
Old 06-23-2019, 10:41 PM

Received 153 Likes on 112 Posts

I like the Ford bed extender for the flow thru. I still have the Lund branded one that came stock with my Ranger.
Old 06-29-2019, 09:14 PM

Originally Posted by RN2013
** Buys Ready Ramp... removes hinges and tailgate flange... adds to current wood pieces... Problem solved.
Does the ready ramp also do the divider function?

Quick Reply: All in one bed divider, extender, and ramp