Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Airbags Didn't Deploy

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2019, 11:36 AM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Airbags Didn't Deploy

Yesterday a woman hit me head on. I was nearly stopped but the other car was traveling at least 20 mph. My bumper was bent pretty well. The other driver was exiting a parking lot after being caught shoplifting and turned the wrong way on the one-way I was on. I'm okay. Truck not so well but hey, it's getting fixed.

At least one of the air bag modules was activated. I could smell that distinctive odor. However, no bags deployed in the passenger compartment. The air bag indicator light is also illuminated on the instrument panel.

Seems strange.

Anybody seen this before?

2015 F-150 Lariat

Thanks.
Old 06-17-2019, 11:37 AM
Super Moderator

Received 4,134 Likes on 2,835 Posts

Originally Posted by CosmicMiami
Yesterday a woman hit me head on. I was nearly stopped but the other car was traveling at least 20 mph. My bumper was bent pretty well. The other driver was exiting a parking lot after being caught shoplifting and turned the wrong way on the one-way I was on. I'm okay. Truck not so well but hey, it's getting fixed.

At least one of the air bag modules was activated. I could smell that distinctive odor. However, no bags deployed in the passenger compartment. The air bag indicator light is also illuminated on the instrument panel.

Seems strange.

Thanks.
did your seatbelt yank tight? What probably happened is your seat belt pretensioner fired and then that is the odor you smelled.
The following 5 users liked this post by djfllmn:
CosmicMiami (06-17-2019), rbird2 (06-19-2019), rmc63 (06-17-2019), StuartTX (06-17-2019), TB15XLT (06-17-2019)
Old 06-17-2019, 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by djfllmn
did your seatbelt yank tight? What probably happened is your seat belt pretensioner fired and then that is the odor you smelled.
Oh yes it did. Would that illuminate the airbag indicator?

BTW, I also lost a fresh slice of Costco pepperoni pizza.
Old 06-17-2019, 11:47 AM
Super Moderator

Oh yes it did. Would that illuminate the airbag indicator?

BTW, I also lost a fresh slice of Costco pepperoni pizza.
yes it would. that is tied in with the airbag system. there is a little pyro charged attached to the seatbelt retractor that yanks it tight during an accident. sometimes that is enough and the truck wont fire the airbags or other times that fires right before the airbag fires to make sure you are seated properly
The following 2 users liked this post by djfllmn:
CosmicMiami (06-17-2019), rbird2 (06-19-2019)
Old 06-17-2019, 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by djfllmn
yes it would. that is tied in with the airbag system. there is a little pyro charged attached to the seatbelt retractor that yanks it tight during an accident. sometimes that is enough and the truck wont fire the airbags or other times that fires right before the airbag fires to make sure you are seated properly

Thanks. Just watched a video on them. I'm assuming the collision folks know about this. It's one of the signature places for my insurance. Glad the bags didn't deploy as I know that creates a much more difficult repair.
Old 06-17-2019, 12:45 PM

Received 98 Likes on 61 Posts

I was rear ended by a schoolbus and sent into the truck in front of me towing a boat. It completely smashed the front of truck and none of the airbags went off. From what I read it seems that there are so many computers in these trucks now they only go off if all the parameters that are set for them are met.

Last edited by BroncoAG; 06-17-2019 at 12:50 PM.
Old 06-17-2019, 12:47 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by BroncoAG
I was rear ended by a schoolbus and sent into the truck in front of me towing a boat. It completely smashed the front of truck and none of the airbags went off. From what I read it seems that there are so many computers in these trucks now they only go off if all the parameters that are set for them are met.

OUCH! and you are correct, in the early days of airbags as long as you met the decel rate..they went off. these days they can tell impact angle, direction, speed. all that good stuff
Old 06-17-2019, 01:00 PM

Received 539 Likes on 334 Posts

Damn, hope you guys are ok!

@CosmicMiami can you share pics of your damage?
The following users liked this post:
CosmicMiami (06-17-2019)
Old 06-17-2019, 01:46 PM

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

Seems strange.

2015 F-150 Lariat

Thanks.
I would assume that since you didn't have a passenger in the vehicle, that's why they didn't fire. I believe there is an operator (or passenger in this case) sensor in the seat. Nothing was detected so no airbag on that side.
Old 06-17-2019, 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by dirtydeed
I would assume that since you didn't have a passenger in the vehicle, that's why they didn't fire. I believe there is an operator (or passenger in this case) sensor in the seat. Nothing was detected so no airbag on that side.
Actually, it was the seat belt tensioner. No bags deployed anywhere in the cab.

Quick Reply: Airbags Didn't Deploy