Aftermarket transmission pan question. - Ford F150 Forum - Community of Ford Truck Fans

Topic Sponsor
2015 - Present Ford F150 General discussion on the latest generation Ford F150 truck.

Aftermarket transmission pan question.

Old 09-16-2018, 06:36 AM
  #1  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: San Antonio TX.
Posts: 319
Thanked 56 Times in 41 Posts
Default Aftermarket transmission pan question.

I'm looking at doing a pan drop on my 16 F150. If I do the pan drop I might as well install a pan with a drain plug to make future pan drops easier. I was looking for just a regular pan, not one of those "performance" pans that claim extra oil cooling or extra capacity and I came across this brand. dorman products When I select all my options (vehicle year, make, model) and get down to select the transmission type and my options are "6r80" or "6r80e". What the heck is 6r80e? What is the difference? I'm guessing I just have the 6r80 but how do I even check?
madmatt83 is offline  
Old 09-16-2018, 07:08 AM
  #2  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Southeast PA
Posts: 546
Thanked 63 Times in 50 Posts
Default

They are both the same part # so why the confusion?
Wicked ace is offline  
Old 09-16-2018, 09:42 AM
  #3  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 197
Thanks: 0
Thanked 24 Times in 22 Posts
Default

its the same for both.
rngtrtl is offline  
Old 09-16-2018, 03:25 PM
  #4  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: San Antonio TX.
Posts: 319
Thanked 56 Times in 41 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Wicked ace
They are both the same part # so why the confusion?
Then why would they ask me to specify 6r80 or 6r80e if they are both the same?
madmatt83 is offline  
Old 09-16-2018, 08:35 PM
  #5  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 197
Thanks: 0
Thanked 24 Times in 22 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by madmatt83 View Post
Then why would they ask me to specify 6r80 or 6r80e if they are both the same?
its a quirk of the software, no need to be concerned.
rngtrtl is offline  
Old 09-16-2018, 09:21 PM
  #6  
Senior Member
 
Ssls6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Dallas/San Jose
Posts: 781
Thanked 83 Times in 69 Posts
Default

I was looking at transmission pans with drain plugs and what I could NOT find was one with a hot level/fill plug. I could drill and tap one myself but then I did a flush/pan drop and lost motivation. Maybe in another few years I’ll do it.

Note: a hot level/fill plug allows you to get the tranny to a certain temp then you pull the plug and let excess trickle out or pump some in until it trickles out. Now your good.
Ssls6 is offline  
Old 09-17-2018, 01:01 AM
  #7  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: San Antonio TX.
Posts: 319
Thanked 56 Times in 41 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by rngtrtl
its a quirk of the software, no need to be concerned.
Cool thx.
madmatt83 is offline  
Old 09-17-2018, 01:04 AM
  #8  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: San Antonio TX.
Posts: 319
Thanked 56 Times in 41 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Ssls6
I was looking at transmission pans with drain plugs and what I could NOT find was one with a hot level/fill plug. I could drill and tap one myself but then I did a flush/pan drop and lost motivation. Maybe in another few years I’ll do it.

Note: a hot level/fill plug allows you to get the tranny to a certain temp then you pull the plug and let excess trickle out or pump some in until it trickles out. Now your good.
What ones were you looking at? I can get the Dorman on amazon for about $36. The rest were all fancy looking and $200. No thanks.
madmatt83 is offline  
Old 09-17-2018, 07:53 AM
  #9  
Senior Member
 
Ssls6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Dallas/San Jose
Posts: 781
Thanked 83 Times in 69 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by madmatt83 View Post
What ones were you looking at? I can get the Dorman on amazon for about $36. The rest were all fancy looking and $200. No thanks.
$200 doesn't seem too bad after you've burned your hands a few times checking the level. I would not pay $200 and still be forced to check the level the "standard" way.

Here is the logic.....Ford's method of doing a fluid check (195F tranny temp and the shortie dipstick next to a 600F cat) only makes sense if you almost never do it. A pan with a drain plug only makes sense if you plan to use the drain plug which says you plan to do a hot level check often...something to consider. After checking my hot level twice, having a drain plug wasn't worth it to me unless both problems can be solved.
Ssls6 is offline  
Old 09-17-2018, 06:48 PM
  #10  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: San Antonio TX.
Posts: 319
Thanked 56 Times in 41 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Ssls6
$200 doesn't seem too bad after you've burned your hands a few times checking the level. I would not pay $200 and still be forced to check the level the "standard" way.

Here is the logic.....Ford's method of doing a fluid check (195F tranny temp and the shortie dipstick next to a 600F cat) only makes sense if you almost never do it. A pan with a drain plug only makes sense if you plan to use the drain plug which says you plan to do a hot level check often...something to consider. After checking my hot level twice, having a drain plug wasn't worth it to me unless both problems can be solved.
I plan on doing it every 30000-60000 so not very often. A regular pan with a drain plug should work fine for me.
madmatt83 is offline  


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Aftermarket transmission pan question.


Contact Us Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: