Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

? Advice for a tall driver - headrest problems

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2016, 10:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question ? Advice for a tall driver - headrest problems

I have a 2011 Platinum and test drove a 2016 Limited today (which I ordered last December). In my brief test drive, I noticed one problem that may turn out to be a deal breaker. The seats in the Limited seem thinner/smaller. This puts me closer to the headrest than in my 2011, and, therefore, allows the headrest to put constant pressure against my upper back/lower neck.

My 2011 seat is thicker and keeps my body away from the headrest:

I won't buy a truck that's uncomfortable to drive, so this is a deal breaker for me.

Anyone have ideas on possible solutions?
Old 03-29-2016, 10:42 PM

Received 1,267 Likes on 843 Posts

I guess you better take a pass on this truck.. Or any of the newer Ford trucks. Or you will hate every mile if you like confortable seats. Just wait till you are on a bumpy road and the headrest keeps smacking your head.

I'm putting up with then only because I have no choice.

Last edited by Livoniabob; 03-30-2016 at 03:22 AM.
Old 03-29-2016, 10:43 PM

Received 196 Likes on 154 Posts

I had the same issue on a 2013. I was hoping the 2015 and up seats were better.

Dumb question, but I assume the headrest is adjusted back as far as it will go?
Old 03-29-2016, 10:43 PM

Received 182 Likes on 168 Posts

Have you tried lifting it? Or pulling it forward until it goes all the way back?
Old 03-29-2016, 10:48 PM

@Fordfan2006, @News_in: Yes, I put the headrest all the way down then pulled it all the way up again just to be sure. And these headrests rotate/tilt as well. I tried all the different tilting angles, and none made a difference.
Old 03-29-2016, 10:58 PM

Received 196 Likes on 154 Posts

Judging from your pics, I don't see what you can do other than recline the seat more, possibly remove the headrest or turn it around backwards (if you can live with that), or have custom work done to the headrest.

I hated the headrests in the 2013 I owned. I'm 6'2, and noticed the headrest encroaching on my personal head space on the test drive. I assumed I could adjust the seat or get used to the headrest with time, but I never liked the seats because of the headrest. If the newer model trucks are worse, I don't think I could handle that either.
Old 03-29-2016, 11:01 PM

Received 1,267 Likes on 843 Posts

Originally Posted by OddManOut
@Fordfan2006, @News_in: Yes, I put the headrest all the way down then pulled it all the way up again just to be sure. And these headrests rotate/tilt as well. I tried all the different tilting angles, and none made a difference.

I find that the tilting makes a big difference for me... There is the too far forward, the way to far forward, the way way to far forward, the way way way to far forward and then the what the he!! Were they thinking forward. And then of course the lets start this all over again one.

One good thing is your butt will take turns being in more pain then your sore head is.
Old 03-30-2016, 12:11 AM

Received 241 Likes on 172 Posts

Default The new Fords!

A real pain in the neck, or a pain in the back or a pain in the #*#*, or a pain in your legs? Just depends which new F-150 you choose. If you think the driver seats are bad, just try the passenger seat!

Fords seats design team, didn't put much effort into their new seats, must have just thought a seat, is a seat, right?
Old 04-02-2016, 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by News in
possibly remove the headrest or turn it around backwards (if you can live with that)
This worked great. I was completely surprised. But backwards, the headrest was out of the way and looked almost normal. I thought it was going to be angled backward and look odd, but it doesn't.

With this problem solved, I took the truck for an overnight test drive. I ended up with serious headroom problems (especially in the morning hours when we're all a little bit taller).

So, I took the truck back this morning and told the sales guy that I won't buy the truck due to inadequate headroom. Very bummed.
Old 04-02-2016, 02:59 PM

Received 48 Likes on 34 Posts

I'm 6'6" 270 and have no issues with the seat or headroom. I have the seat titled completely back and the lower seat up as high as it goes in the front. I think have almost 2 inches of head room before I hit the roof. 15 King Ranch, with moon roof.

I wonder why it was so small for you? How tall are you?

Quick Reply: ? Advice for a tall driver - headrest problems