Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Adding Sirius to 2017 F150 STX

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2017, 12:19 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Adding Sirius to 2017 F150 STX

Hey all:
I just recently joined the F150 family! This forum is great. I have done some searching and haven't been able to find the answer to this question so figured I would take a chance and start a thread.

As I said I recently purchased my 2017 F150 from the dealership. The issue is I prefer Sirius over regular radio. I don't really want a stand alone and don't want to use the app due to extreme data usage. However, the dealership said that my truck's radio (sync 3) can receive Sirius, and apparently all that I need to do is take it in to them and have them reimage the computer to receive Sirius. They said this would be about $900!! I was wondering if anybody has had this done and if that is a fair price? I know it's really high for Sirius but like I said that's all I listen to in the car. Thanks for the help all!
Old 06-23-2017, 12:33 PM

Received 216 Likes on 170 Posts

What is the breakdown of that bill? You might be able to install the antenna yourself and only require a flash from them? I don't have experience there, just making a guess.
Old 06-23-2017, 12:35 PM

From what I was told..it already has an antenna (I see a square antenna looking thing on the roof of the vehicle separate from the side radio antenna). I think it's just flash. I will try and get a better breakdown of what is required.
Old 06-23-2017, 12:37 PM

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

Definitely do not pay the 900 bucks... I imagine there is some sirius module you can buy - probably comes with the antenna... and the reflashing of the computer you can probably do yourself with the FORSCAN app. if not for 900 bucks you can get a complete custom stereo that does sirius, and sounds way better than factory...
Old 06-23-2017, 01:43 PM

Received 367 Likes on 268 Posts

Check out this thread.

https://www.f150forum.com/f118/facto...1/#post5361855
Old 06-23-2017, 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by Fosters
Definitely do not pay the 900 bucks... I imagine there is some sirius module you can buy - probably comes with the antenna... and the reflashing of the computer you can probably do yourself with the FORSCAN app. if not for 900 bucks you can get a complete custom stereo that does sirius, and sounds way better than factory...
That's why I turned them down at the dealership..I thought that was WAY too high...Like I said, I believe it has a sirius antennae on the roof (looks just like all of the other aftermarket Sirius antennae) there's just no option on the sync 3 for Sirius.
Old 06-23-2017, 05:22 PM

Received 367 Likes on 268 Posts

You will need to find an acm with Sirius xm. They go for about 50+ on eBay. Then changes the as built data on the apim and acm (if not from an f150). The probably need an antenna as I doubt it's there already.
Old 06-23-2017, 09:29 PM

Called dealer. Said antenna is installed since sync 3 system. Now says they just swap with another radio that has sirius loaded. Cost to do that is $850.
Old 06-23-2017, 09:54 PM

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

Try to listen to it in another F150 - because it sounds horrible in mine.

I've had it in the following:
OEM Toyota
OEM Nissan
OEM Ford
Aftermarket JVC

The OEM Toyota and Ford sound horrible, like very very very bad. The Nissan and the JVC actually didn't sound that bad, station for station I'd say the Nissan/JVC sounded like I was listening to Pandora, the Ford and Toyota both sound like you are listening to it through a tin can :-(

Anyways - just saying before you spend any money on the OEM solution make sure you are happy with it, because I don't believe all sat tuners are created equal and Ford's appears to be on the crappy side....

http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/si...d-1278401.html

Googled to see if there was a reason for this - and mid down this page a guy has the same experience as me, the JVC sounded great, and OEM sounds horrible

Also I worked at Clarion when this tech had just came out, I knew back then that XM had superior tech and since they've merged it appears you can get a radio that supports either, so maybe thats the difference, the radios I think sound good were using XM satellites and the crappy ones are using Sirius sats?!?!?!
Old 06-23-2017, 11:59 PM

Received 146 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by shsabres
Called dealer. Said antenna is installed since sync 3 system. Now says they just swap with another radio that has sirius loaded. Cost to do that is $850.
I have an XL and found a Fusion radio/ACM with Sat that worked fine. This is similar to what I purchased but I got mine for 30 shipped. I also had to make some minor changes using forescan to make it work. I would be curious to see if yours is already equipped with satellite since you mentioned it has the antenna on the roof. It seems odd they would add it but not have it hooked in anywhere. Also since the XLs are not sync 3 makes think you would have the higher level ACM. If you have forscan handy I would try to enable it and see what happens if not would be worth opening it up and seeing what ACM model you have.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2016-Ford-Fu...pZQl0w&vxp=mtr

Quick Reply: Adding Sirius to 2017 F150 STX