Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Adding a leaf spring to a 2016?

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2016, 08:53 AM

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Adding a leaf spring to a 2016?

Still looking at options for stiffening up the rear end of my 5L Lariat Sport 4x4 for towing. My Ford dealer, RV dealer, and the local trailer shop all recommended a local truck repair shop so I am assuming they know their stuff.

They recommended adding a leaf to the springs instead of Timbrens or air bags. He said they do this for so many 1/2 tons that he has a standard package offer so the price is the same as Timbrens.

Any opinions or experiences on this upgrade?

There seems to be a meme about upgrading the shocks...is this a better route or should I look at both?
Old 08-23-2016, 12:41 PM

Received 145 Likes on 90 Posts

I've not worked with addleafs/airbags/etc, but what is the specific problem you are dealing with? You mentioned in the other thread your suspension is bottomed out - that is a hitch setup problem that I don't think airbags/leafs would fix.

Shocks won't increase your load capacity but how the truck handles with the additional load and many people are doing it to deal with handling characteristics of the truck unloaded.
Old 08-23-2016, 12:49 PM
Beer, Boats, and Trucks.

Received 603 Likes on 457 Posts

Leafs will give you a permanent taller firmer rear suspension, air bags you can dial in when you need them. Shocks wont really do much for "stiffening the rear".
Old 08-23-2016, 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by BStrummin
I've not worked with addleafs/airbags/etc, but what is the specific problem you are dealing with? You mentioned in the other thread your suspension is bottomed out - that is a hitch setup problem that I don't think airbags/leafs would fix.

Shocks won't increase your load capacity but how the truck handles with the additional load and many people are doing it to deal with handling characteristics of the truck unloaded.
I feel the back of the truck is out of control when towing at over 50 mph or over bumpy roads. I haven't made it to the scales but on paper the truck is at 90-95% of the GVWR. When I towed a 1000lb lighter trailer I only had the same problem on an Interstate in windy conditions.

The hitch is probably set up correctly (the RV dealer did it) -- the truck, trailer, and bars are level.

My feeling s that under load the rear suspension is maxxed out. There are a number of threads complaining about the newer suspension (and 1/2 toms in general). Can't seem to find agreement on upgrading the shocks, springs, or adding Timbrens in order to improve the handling. I wouldn't mind a better handling rear end (my other vehicle is a BMW) when unloaded so I was thinking springs were the option to consider.
Old 08-23-2016, 06:12 PM

Received 48 Likes on 29 Posts

I too am experiencing the same issues with towing my TT (24'). My 2012 F150 did not have this amount of sway and secondary bouncing from the trailer. I too have played with the tire pressures and WDH to the point that I have made the truck noise heavy when towing and still get the sway and double and triple bounce.

My feeling is with less weight in the trucks back end Ford has softened the springs and shocks to give the truck a smoother ride when empty and not towing. I am not going to do anything this year because the TT season is almost done but come early spring I'm looking to swap out the factory shocks with Bilstein 5100 and install a Hellwig Stabilizer Bar. This should help with the triple bounce from the trailer bounce, then this is where I am unsure what spring correction to do.

The option are Add A Leaf, Air Bags, Roadmaster Active Suspension or Timbren.

Pros & Cons as I see them so far...

Add A Leaf - Not too expensive but they will increase the truck hight by 1" unless I remove the factory block, also the rear ride when empty will be stiffer and much more wheel bounce on smaller bumps. (Keep in mind that I have no in tension on lifting the truck - I have outgrown the need for a lifted truck in my older age). Cost about $300

Air Bags - Will support the extra weight when required but they are the most expensive route to take when you consider the cost of the Air Bags and on board compressor required to make it more convenient. Cost about $900

Roadmaster Active Suspension - This is one of thought products that seems to good to be true. They reduce body roll, sway, wheel hope and if that was not enough the also reduce spring sag. But on the down side they are a bit pricey and I have no expriance with them to know if they live up to all of their claims. Maybe the old saying, "it does everything but nothing really well". Cost about $650.

Timbren - Inexpensive, will maintaining the factory ride, will support the springs when under load, reduce body roll and the dreaded rear end sag, and best of all they last forever. On the downside... Not sure of any.

So you can see right now I'm leaning towards to Bilstein 5100 rear shocks, Hellwig Stabler and Timbren to help the springs.

This is not set in stone so addition input would be helpful.
Old 08-23-2016, 06:36 PM

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts

Airbags are amazing. I put a set on my truck this spring and the ride & handling are significantly better while towing. Also, there is no change in the ride when unloaded.
I installed them myself in a couple hours. I didn't want to spend a lot so I did not add the onboard compressor. They literally take about 5 seconds to fill up using my portable air tank or you can buy a $10 air compressor that plugs into the cigarette lighter.
Old 08-23-2016, 06:37 PM

Received 877 Likes on 561 Posts

I have airbags and am very happy with them. This is the second truck I've put them on and IMO they are much better than a leaf. When deflated they don't change the factory ride at all. I have three different trailers and the ability to adjust different for each trailer and each load is great. With a leaf it's always there and there is zero adjustability and no ability to level when needed. You hook up your load and it is what it is.
The following users liked this post:
massspike (08-23-2016)
Old 08-23-2016, 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by Canadian F150 Owner
I too am experiencing the same issues with towing my TT (24'). My 2012 F150 did not have this amount of sway and secondary bouncing from the trailer. I too have played with the tire pressures and WDH to the point that I have made the truck noise heavy when towing and still get the sway and double and triple bounce.

My feeling is with less weight in the trucks back end Ford has softened the springs and shocks to give the truck a smoother ride when empty and not towing. I am not going to do anything this year because the TT season is almost done but come early spring I'm looking to swap out the factory shocks with Bilstein 5100 and install a Hellwig Stabilizer Bar. This should help with the triple bounce from the trailer bounce, then this is where I am unsure what spring correction to do.

The option are Add A Leaf, Air Bags, Roadmaster Active Suspension or Timbren.

Pros & Cons as I see them so far...

Add A Leaf - Not too expensive but they will increase the truck hight by 1" unless I remove the factory block, also the rear ride when empty will be stiffer and much more wheel bounce on smaller bumps. (Keep in mind that I have no in tension on lifting the truck - I have outgrown the need for a lifted truck in my older age). Cost about $300

Air Bags - Will support the extra weight when required but they are the most expensive route to take when you consider the cost of the Air Bags and on board compressor required to make it more convenient. Cost about $900

Roadmaster Active Suspension - This is one of thought products that seems to good to be true. They reduce body roll, sway, wheel hope and if that was not enough the also reduce spring sag. But on the down side they are a bit pricey and I have no expriance with them to know if they live up to all of their claims. Maybe the old saying, "it does everything but nothing really well". Cost about $650.

Timbren - Inexpensive, will maintaining the factory ride, will support the springs when under load, reduce body roll and the dreaded rear end sag, and best of all they last forever. On the downside... Not sure of any.

So you can see right now I'm leaning towards to Bilstein 5100 rear shocks, Hellwig Stabler and Timbren to help the springs.

This is not set in stone so addition input would be helpful.
You and I are on the same quest (Canadian, same trailer, compared to an older F150) and going through the same thought process. Ironically my quest started after a bad towing experience through your home town (Lindsay)...in retrospect I had too much weight in the bed of the truck on that occasion.

The only downside with the Timbrens is that the late model F150 doesn't have some of the parts of older years...the demo installation video uses a Ram and they just pull the old bump stop...the 2016 F150 needs an install kit...more $'s and that seems to be a long lead time item in Canada.

Are you sure about the leaf lifting the rear? I was told they would put it between the 2 existing leafs and on my truck it looks like there is space for it. If that isn't the case, I kind of like your plan though I might start with a WD w/sway control first.
Old 08-23-2016, 07:22 PM
mikes 09 red f150 4x4

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

check out what i did and it works for me and super cheap! check: " sway while towing post"
Old 08-23-2016, 07:40 PM

Received 48 Likes on 29 Posts

Yes I am very sure that the add a leaf will raise the truck about 1". The spring itself is at least 3/4" and the spring arc giving you another 1/4"+.

As for the Timbres, what parts do not come with them? From their documentation (http://timbren.wpengine.netdna-cdn.c...8/FR1504E1.pdf). It would it appears that they come with everything to mount them in replacement of the bumper stop similar to my 2006 when I last used them. Am I missing something?

For the guys with the Air Bags, what make of Air Bags did you go with?

Quick Reply: Adding a leaf spring to a 2016?