Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Adding Lane assist to a 502A

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2017, 01:20 PM

Received 209 Likes on 169 Posts
Default Adding Lane assist to a 502A

I thought I would break this out of the "adding park assist" thread. There are some similarities in the hardware (both in the console, harnesses, etc) but it was beginning to clutter the thread up for those only interested in park assist.

Lets keep this to a "how to" thread. If you love lane assist, or hate it (or whatever your opinion is), please keep it to yourself. Thanks. If you have useful tech to add, by all means, post 'er up!

I will also only be able to address my own truck, with is a 2016 Lariat 502A without the tech package. If you've got an XLT, you're welcome to try, but I can't guarantee anything, you're on your own.

So right now, I'm still in the parts ordering/research stage. Here is what I've got so far:

Camera: you need the one in the mirror. Specifically, it's in the mount of the rear view mirror:

If you have the auto dimming headlights, you already have A camera. The system uses the camera to recognize the road lane lines and detect your drift. The front grill camera does not come in to play with lane assist so no worries there. There's been some back and forth on there being more than one camera for the rear view mirror.this may possibly be a deal killer as they list different prices with and without LKA....and it's quite a difference! If mine doesn't work, I'll just watch for a used one to show up on ebay or something in a few years. It's only a matter of time before someone crunches a platty or higher. Probably already a bunch squished out there already...

Button: I'm doing the lane keep assist and the park assist so I ordered the "combination" button:

Console: The console has a different "plate" around the shifter-

It has a housing cast in to it to receive the switch and you need it to mount the switch. You're on your own if you want to grab a saw and attempt your own hole. The piece costs anywhere between 150-300 dollars (mostly depending on which side of the US/CAN border you are on). When the time comes, I'm just going to suck it up and buy a new one. My very nice new truck isn't getting scratched used parts nor am I going to cut into it to try and make it work. Compared to what I paid for the truck, I'm not going to cheap out for a $300 part.

Harness: I opened up my console and the harness does not have an unused plug for lane keep/park assist. Looks like so:

Should look like so:

Minus the dog hair!

Rather than mess about with connectors and splicing pins, I just ordered up a complete console harness from a truck with both options:

It was only 55 bucks and should plug right in. If I get lucky, the Lariat main console harness will work and all I will have to do is plug in the piece at the gray connector. I ordered part number GL3Z14A318K and am waiting for it to show up.

Forscan: obviously, you need to turn it on and forscan should work for that. It's already been sniffed out and is on livinitup's excel spread sheet.

Calibration: here you need to either take it to the dealer or get yourself a Ford IDS/VCMII. The vehicle needs to be put into calibration mode and driven for approx 10-15 minutes for lane line recognition.

That's all for now. Like I mentioned, I'm still waiting for parts to show up so I can get rolling.

More to follow as I get it done.

Last edited by Great white; 02-11-2017 at 01:37 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Supastyles (06-13-2020)
Old 02-11-2017, 01:25 PM

Received 28 Likes on 17 Posts

Good call moving it and great summary thus far!
Old 02-11-2017, 02:03 PM

A little bit of deeper digging reveals I may not have the right camera in my mirror.

I've brought up some images on ebay of AHBC/LA mirrors and they are actually stamped with those letters on the back. The one in my truck only has AHBC stamped on it...

I'll still do the rest of he setup in preparation for being able to find an AHBC/LA mirror in the future.

Nearly 1400 bucks USD is just a bit too much to drop all at once.

On the up side, the roof wiring harness seems to be the same for both with and W/O lane assist so the differences would seem to be limited to the mirror itself.

I'll wager without the LKA, what looks like a camera in mine is not really much more than a light sensor. The LKA is probably a proper camera that "sees" the road lines...

Last edited by Great white; 02-11-2017 at 02:41 PM.
Old 02-11-2017, 03:02 PM

Received 28 Likes on 17 Posts

My button arrived today. Part number FL3Z-13D730-DB

Adding Lane assist to a 502A-photo570.jpgAdding Lane assist to a 502A-photo21.jpg

Bummer about the camera, hopefully it will still work :/
Old 02-11-2017, 03:54 PM

So yeah, been doing some digging and comparing to what's in my truck.

The mirror in the trucks without lane keeping have a sensor in them for AHBC, not a camera.

You need the camera in order to make the lane keeping work and that a spicy meatball.

Cheapest I can find is 937 USD.

That puts the project on hold for me, probably for a couple years until they start showing up used.

Bummer.

Old 02-11-2017, 05:47 PM

OK.

So, I made a leap of faith.

There's lots of used lane depart mirrors on ebay for fords and they are actually reasonably priced.

But none for 2015+ f-150's.

So I go back out to the truck and pull the plastic cover off:

Yup, it's just different enough that nothing on eBay is right. Close, but not interchangeable.

But then a closer look at a few on the 'bay:

Gave me an idea.

Ford requires you to buy the whole mirror. But the difference between with and W/O lane assist is the camera.

The light sensor and the camera are interchangeable on the mirror mount, most likely to save expense for the mirror manufacturer (Gentex I think). The other ford mirrors on ebay with lane assist have cameras with the same mounting bolt pattern as the light sensor on my f-150.

So, 50 bucks later I've got a lane departure/AHBC mirror from a 2016 ford Taurus on it's way.

I'll try popping the camera from the Taurus on the mount for the f-150 and see how it goes. The plug is obviously different, but that's an easy fix. Just pop the wires out, change the ends on them if needed and slide them into the F-150 harness.

The roof harness seems to be the same part number for with and W/O lane assist, so should be good there.

I stuck with a 2016 mirror to try and minimize compatibility issues between the camera and the truck.

If it works, I will have dodged a 1400 USD price tag on the mirror....if it doesn't, I'm only out 50 bucks....

Last edited by Great white; 02-11-2017 at 09:08 PM.
Old 02-11-2017, 06:36 PM

in case anyone is wondering, this is the light sensor:

This is the camera:

and this is likely why the sensor for the AHBC is half the price of the camera:

Looks like just a couple IR sensing diodes.

Even so, I still don';t think the difference between camera mirror and sensor mirror should be 700-800 bucks....
Old 02-11-2017, 06:43 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Have you checked to make sure the windshields are the same? I know the Edge and Escape use 2 different windshields depending on LKA or not. There are a couple of defroster grid lines in front of the camera and I believe they are built into the windshield.
Old 02-11-2017, 07:08 PM

Received 1,267 Likes on 843 Posts

We do know that the trucks like mine with the LKA have a heater,,, don't know if it's in the glass or built into the mirror housing..
Old 02-11-2017, 07:14 PM

heater is already there, on the glass:

From what I've found so far, same glass for sensor or camera in 2016:

Last edited by Great white; 02-11-2017 at 07:37 PM.

Quick Reply: Adding Lane assist to a 502A