Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Acid rain on new truck!

Old 09-20-2015, 01:07 PM
A31

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Acid rain on new truck!

I went to the dealer and customized me 2015 XLT FX4 in July. And the whole month of August I was excitedly anticipating the built and delivery date of my XLT.
I pick my truck up on Monday September 14th and I notice the windows are a bit dirty(I figured heck I'll get a car wash later on) the following day I take it to get tinted and I find out that my truck has acid rain all over the truck. The person that put the tints on the truck advised me to go to ford and get them replaced. The manager at the dealership seen the truck and sent me off to the dealerships body shop.
At the body shop the manager there said that he would take care of it, using a Brillo pad and he'll rub the acid rain off the plastic. He ended up scratching parts of the glass and he used the Brillo pad on the plastic and rubber.
It clearly looks like the truck wasn't inspected.

I don't trust that dealership one bit but ford told me to stick with them because they're the only ones that would be able to do something about my problem. Tuesday I have to drop off the truck to the dealership and I have to live without a car for the next day I don't know what to do. keep in mind I live roughly 20 miles away from the dealership.

What is there to do? This new truck isn't new anymore it feels like I purchased it from a neighborhood dealership..
Old 09-20-2015, 01:36 PM

Received 366 Likes on 225 Posts

I know shops use a block of clay to rub and buff of paint overspray and other things really stuck on. Are you sure it was a brillo..?? That seems just crazy.
The following users liked this post:
A31 (09-20-2015)
Old 09-20-2015, 02:13 PM
A31

Originally Posted by stainlessman
I know shops use a block of clay to rub and buff of paint overspray and other things really stuck on. Are you sure it was a brillo..?? That seems just crazy.
I'm positive, the guy said "a Brillo usually does the job" and he had it in his hand -___- the glass is scratched and the rubber is also scratched. It is crazy! I couldn't believe it.
God knows what they're going to do when they're alone with the truck.
Old 09-20-2015, 02:14 PM
Automotive Refinish Tech

Received 1,746 Likes on 1,135 Posts

Brillo? You can use 0000 steel wool on glass like you can on chrome, but nothing coarser than that
A31 (09-20-2015)
Old 09-20-2015, 02:17 PM
A31

I also forgot to mention I can't take the truck to the car wash because the fender emblem is coming off. They advised me not to run it through a wash. And the truck is pulling to the left. So whenever I let go of the steering wheel the truck goes left.
Old 09-20-2015, 02:44 PM

Received 241 Likes on 172 Posts

This sounds like the thread where the owner was a lil concerned about some rust on some components under his truck. His dealer had someone inexperienced apply undercoating to his truck, wheels exterior body panels a huge mess!

For any dealer to use a "Brillo Pad" anywhere on a new truck, shows inexcusable ignorance and lack of knowledge! I can assure you that anywhere it was used, is SCRATCHED and messed up!!! NO WAY would I allow them to further damage my new truck, PERIOD!
A31 (09-20-2015)
Old 09-20-2015, 03:59 PM
A31

Originally Posted by AbitaPro
This sounds like the thread where the owner was a lil concerned about some rust on some components under his truck. His dealer had someone inexperienced apply undercoating to his truck, wheels exterior body panels a huge mess!

For any dealer to use a "Brillo Pad" anywhere on a new truck, shows inexcusable ignorance and lack of knowledge! I can assure you that anywhere it was used, is SCRATCHED and messed up!!! NO WAY would I allow them to further damage my new truck, PERIOD!

Dude I called ford numerous times and that's what I told them, I also contacted and went to numerous dealerships regarding this issue and they told me to take it back and get everything replaced because a Brillo pad is unprofessional. but ford told me that my best bet is to go back to the purchasing dealership if I want to get everything taken care of. Because the sales manager is now onboard trying to resolve this issue.

I talked to a few buddies of mine that work here at the Dearborn plant and they were telling me that for it to leave the plant like that it wasn't inspected. And another buddy was telling me that if it was acid rain then all trucks built on august 31st at the Dearborn plant would be affected.
Old 09-20-2015, 04:10 PM

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Seems more likely it was hard water spots (mineral deposits) from the dealers sprinklers around the lots than acid rain, I'm pretty skeptical you'd find rain enough to etch your windows.

Nevertheless the dealer seems completely to blame for the resulting damage. Mine had a ton of those deposits all over the hood and chrome grill from sitting out on the lot and they detailed it up before I took delivery and you'd never know they were there.
The following 3 users liked this post by hunter306:
AbitaPro (09-20-2015), BStrummin (09-21-2015), Ricktwuhk (09-20-2015)
Old 09-20-2015, 05:02 PM

Received 241 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by A31
Dude I called ford numerous times and that's what I told them, I also contacted and went to numerous dealerships regarding this issue and they told me to take it back and get everything replaced because a Brillo pad is unprofessional. but ford told me that my best bet is to go back to the purchasing dealership if I want to get everything taken care of. Because the sales manager is now onboard trying to resolve this issue.

I talked to a few buddies of mine that work here at the Dearborn plant and they were telling me that for it to leave the plant like that it wasn't inspected. And another buddy was telling me that if it was acid rain then all trucks built on august 31st at the Dearborn plant would be affected.

Ok Dude here! Calling Ford is just like pissing into the wind, in this case, to put it plainly! It is not a Ford Problem.

It is the dealer whom used the "Brillo Pad", if that is the case. They damaged your vehicle, it's between the owner, presumably you and the dealer who damaged your truck! That's it!

You stated in your first post I believe, your truck was dirty when you picked it up and didn't notice the acid rain etching into your paint, and glass.

Good luck.
Old 09-21-2015, 11:08 AM
A31

Originally Posted by AbitaPro
Ok Dude here! Calling Ford is just like pissing into the wind, in this case, to put it plainly! It is not a Ford Problem.

It is the dealer whom used the "Brillo Pad", if that is the case. They damaged your vehicle, it's between the owner, presumably you and the dealer who damaged your truck! That's it!

You stated in your first post I believe, your truck was dirty when you picked it up and didn't notice the acid rain etching into your paint, and glass.

Good luck.
The windshield looked dirty as if there were water stains all over it when the sun hit the glass. I didn't think anything of it, till the tints went on and the tint shop owner told me that the blue stuff on the glass and plastic is actually acid rain.

In regards to the Brillo pad I told ford exactly what the dealer did to the glass and he told me they would also take care of it. Either way the acid rain deposits are still in the glass.. So that matter must be taken care of, and if they can't replace all the glass and plastic give me a new truck.
I purchased a new truck but if it's messed up and the there is a defect replace all the parts that are faulty (give me a loaner truck in the meantime) or take it back and let me order a new truck.

It's that simple.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Acid rain on new truck!