Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AC issues - 2016 eco boost

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2018, 03:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AC issues - 2016 eco boost

Okay guys,

Don't shoot me if this has been answered already. I searched and did not find any answers which is why I am asking.

my 2016 3.5 eco boost has been in the shop for 6 days now. Replaced compressor, valve and flushed the system. Apparently the compressor was being torn apart from the inside and trying to push metal through the metering device.

the reason I took it to the shop was intermittent cooling. It would blow cold air when I turn it on for about 20-30 minutes. Then the air flow would slowly dissipate until it was nothing more than a very small amount of air coming from the vent, less than 1cfm. I was told that there was a restriction in the system that eventually the manifold freezes up and the compressor was shutting off. I understand that part of it tearing up the compressor... What I don't understand I show the compressor shutting off is restricting the air flow... The air flow, or lack thereof is causing there to be a lack of heat rejection and the system is under high pressure.

so has anyone had a similar issue where the airflow is on 100% and the cold air never stops but it goes from 30cfm to less than 1cfm? The blower is still pushing/pulling air at 100% but it is not coming out of my vents. He guy at the dealership said its not any of the dampers/actuators and he wants to keep testing the refrigeration circuit for an issue but from my limited knowledge of HVAC, airflow issues can cause refrigeration issues but refrigeration issues cant cause airflow issues.

UPDATE: as I was typing this he is now telling me it's the evaporator coil and he needs to pull the dash. I spent just under 2k to have the compressor and valve changed out... Now I'm going to be without a truck for a few more days and cost me more money, help someone!! Haha
Old 06-13-2018, 03:19 PM

Received 565 Likes on 403 Posts

Sounds like what you're experiencing is the evaporator icing over. Typically this occurs in high humidity areas running the A/C on with the HVAC set to outside air. Have you tried keeping the HVAC on recirc so it reduces the moisture in the cab while the air is recirculating?

I had the same issue with my 2003 Dodge Ram and 2005 Dodge Magnum.
The following users liked this post:
Mjwilliams2187 (06-13-2018)
Old 06-13-2018, 03:21 PM
Blunt

Received 1,074 Likes on 722 Posts

For one, I'd be pissed! Was the compressor actually faulty? Or that was just his guess? If replacing it didn't fix the problem, then you shouldn't be paying for it IMO... That was a mistake on their diagnosis.
Old 06-13-2018, 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by Bubbabiker
Sounds like what you're experiencing is the evaporator icing over. Typically this occurs in high humidity areas running the A/C on with the HVAC set to outside air. Have you tried keeping the HVAC on recirc so it reduces the moisture in the cab while the air is recirculating?

I had the same issue with my 2003 Dodge Ram and 2005 Dodge Magnum.
i have taken it to two different shops and no one mentioned this. I am in Dallas and it has been humid lately. My question would be, if the evaporator is freezing over, why is the airflow slowing down out of the vents?

I work in in residential wholesale HVAC and from my understanding, the blower can run whether or not the compressor is creating cold liquid for the evaporator to exchange heat. Why is my airflow stopping? Even with AC off recirculate on or off the airflow shuts down to literally next to nothing.
Old 06-13-2018, 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by BlackBoost
For one, I'd be pissed! Was the compressor actually faulty? Or that was just his guess? If replacing it didn't fix the problem, then you shouldn't be paying for it IMO... That was a mistake on their diagnosis.
Im not sure at this point. They said it had metal inside the compressor and was tearing up the valve. They already replaced it but this shouldn't be a guessing game. I'm not taking it to my neighborhood repair guy. I'm taking it to the ford dealership...
Old 06-13-2018, 03:38 PM

UPDATE:

apparently there is a service bulliten for my specific truck regarding AC issues. It's a known issue. I'll get more details later. Seems that the engineers at the factory are uploading some software to my truck.
Old 06-13-2018, 03:39 PM

Received 565 Likes on 403 Posts

Originally Posted by Mjwilliams2187

i have taken it to two different shops and no one mentioned this. I am in Dallas and it has been humid lately. My question would be, if the evaporator is freezing over, why is the airflow slowing down out of the vents?

I work in in residential wholesale HVAC and from my understanding, the blower can run whether or not the compressor is creating cold liquid for the evaporator to exchange heat. Why is my airflow stopping? Even with AC off recirculate on or off the airflow shuts down to literally next to nothing.

Ice builds up on the evaporator blocking or reducing the airflow.

I notice when it really hot my truck defaults to recirc when I start it.
Mjwilliams2187 (06-13-2018)
Old 06-13-2018, 04:29 PM

Received 430 Likes on 329 Posts

yeah I'd want to see the old compressor and spin it in my hands to see the metal. OH and the valve.

I think they might be full of it.

Now the Evap coil icing over - does indeed happen and is indicative of a leak - on/in the coil. Now it can also occur due to blockage of the airflow across the coil causing it to freeze the condensation up. Once it starts freezing over it has to thaw before things work right again. I'd probably want to see the cabin airfilter too - it might have come apart and clogged up the evap coil. It shouldn't but there could be debris in the coil - blocking the air - causing it to ice over.
EdB (06-13-2018)
Old 06-13-2018, 06:10 PM

Received 238 Likes on 165 Posts

UPDATE:

apparently there is a service bulliten for my specific truck regarding AC issues. It's a known issue. I'll get more details later. Seems that the engineers at the factory are uploading some software to my truck.
Wait...it’s been a long day... Are you saying that you have spent over $2,000 on troubleshooting/part replacement and the whole time it might be a TSB right there on their little computer screen?
Old 06-13-2018, 07:15 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

My question would be, if the evaporator is freezing over, why is the airflow slowing down out of the vents?

If the suction pressure drops below a certain point, the temperature of the evaporator coil will drop below freezing and the coil will freeze up and block the air flow. Your symptoms are exactly what happens, nice cold air for a while and then the airflow drops to little or nothing. Shut the AC off for a while to let it thaw out and then it will repeat. The most common cause of this is low refrigerant level due to a leak. If the suction and head pressure both read low, this is likely the case. If the suction pressure is low and the head pressure is high, there could be a blockage in the system as the dealer suggested. Residential systems will do the same thing.

Quick Reply: AC issues - 2016 eco boost