Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

About to buy bigger tires BUT worried about warranty

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2017, 09:12 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default About to buy bigger tires BUT worried about warranty

I'm excited to finally get slightly bigger tires on my truck. Came with 265/60/18 All seasons. I'm moving to 275/65/18 All Terrain and getting a 2" RC level.

I read a few posts about recalibrating the speedometer and it voiding warranty

I was planning to call around and getting ford to recalibrate or buy the Hypertech speedometer recalibrating tool.

Now I don't know what to do. I definitely do not want my warranty to be voided. I guess I could just get the tires and level and not recalibrate speedo.

Any thoughts?
Old 08-24-2017, 09:39 PM

Received 73 Likes on 51 Posts

Your warranty would not be voided by getting bigger tires. That's just nonsense.
The following users liked this post:
Sgb020 (08-24-2017)
Old 08-24-2017, 10:31 PM

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

Changing your tire size shouldn't void your warranty unless they can somehow prove that the larger tires caused something to fail. Pretty unlikely with the tire size you are talking about. There are a lot of others putting far larger and heavier tires on their truck than you are.

The Hypertech however I am not as sure about given that it is technically modifying the software. They could try to claim that you modified your milage and be difficult in that scenario.

Personally, if you are worried about it I would just make the tire change not bother with the speedo calibration. You can always go ahead and calibrate later after the warranty runs out. I will attach a link showing the comparison, but you are only looking at about a 3.1 mph difference at 60 mph and 3.7 mph at 70. In all honesty, most people already drive 3-5 mph over the speed limit. Just don't go over the actual speed on your dash or a mile or two under and you will be fine. Look for yourself.

https://tiresize.com/comparison/

Personally, I (currently, tend to change my mind) plan to go with 275/70R18 and that is a 33" tire. That could put you into a E rated tire though if you are worried about that. It would also probably make a 5 mph difference and 6 mph difference at 70 for you. I already have a 32" tire so that would make my difference similar to what you had planned. I have even considered 305/65R18, but I am a bit concerned with the width/weight/performance.
Old 08-24-2017, 11:50 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Just a thought but if you are getting a 2" level you may want bigger tires than what you are looking at. My 2016 Screw came with 275/65/18 tires stock. They may look a little small with a level.
Old 08-25-2017, 12:05 AM

Received 337 Likes on 213 Posts

Originally Posted by wme735

Personally, if you are worried about it I would just make the tire change not bother with the speedo calibration. You can always go ahead and calibrate later after the warranty runs out. I will attach a link showing the comparison, but you are only looking at about a 3.1 mph difference at 60 mph and 3.7 mph at 70. In all honesty, most people already drive 3-5 mph over the speed limit. Just don't go over the actual speed on your dash or a mile or two under and you will be fine. Look for yourself.

https://tiresize.com/comparison/
Does the speedo being out of cal mess with the shifting of the 10 speed transmission?
Old 08-25-2017, 12:37 AM

Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts

My tires are 275/65r18 stock.. So I would say you're good.
Old 08-25-2017, 05:29 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Keep in mind I have a 2wd which is lower in the front and back than the 4wd. I wanted a 275/70/18 but they said it may gut rub without a level. I'm may not get a level and if I do, it want be for a month or two.
Old 08-25-2017, 07:57 AM

Received 367 Likes on 283 Posts

It's sad that ford has people so scared of there warranty they don't even want to get bigger tires.

I remember a service guy at my dealer trying to tell me it might void the warranty because I put an after market air filter.

I told him to get bent and if that was the case you can have this pos truck back right now!!!

Old 08-25-2017, 08:04 AM

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by MarkY
Does the speedo being out of cal mess with the shifting of the 10 speed transmission?
The bigger tires can result in the shift points being a little off. I don't think it has much to do with the speedo being off. I would imagine the shift points has more to do with the RPMs, gear ratio, and etc. However, there is a method to reset the "learning" mode on the truck and I have heard that can help because then it will learn how you drive with the bigger tires. Given that you he isn't making a huge jump in tire size I would imagine any change would be minimal. Besides, the tire size he is moving up to is very close to the stock size on many other F-150s that roll off the line.

If there is a large jump in tire size and tire weight some will look at getting a tune done to help with the performance and shift points. However, if you are worried about warranty I wouldn't even think about getting a tune. Either that, or they are looking at moving to a larger gear ratio which is expensive and perhaps a warranty issue if it causes damage elsewhere.
Old 08-25-2017, 09:54 AM

Received 135 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by millertime150
I'm excited to finally get slightly bigger tires on my truck. Came with 265/60/18 All seasons. I'm moving to 275/65/18 All Terrain and getting a 2" RC level.

I read a few posts about recalibrating the speedometer and it voiding warranty

I was planning to call around and getting ford to recalibrate or buy the Hypertech speedometer recalibrating tool.

Now I don't know what to do. I definitely do not want my warranty to be voided. I guess I could just get the tires and level and not recalibrate speedo.

Any thoughts?
It won't void your warranty. I have bigger tires on mine and Ford doesn't care. I've had my truck in for warranty issues without issue.