Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

6 month old truck rear window EXPLODES....Ford says not their fault

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2017, 05:58 PM

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts
Default 6 month old truck rear window EXPLODES....Ford says not their fault

The other morning after starting my truck I noticed an odd smell...didn't think much about it. Two minutes later there was a LOUD pop!! I really thought someone shot at me. I felt the concussion. I looked back and my rear glass was blown out! I drove it to the nearest Ford dealership and told them what happened. They said that was rare but they seen it before. They took several pictures and faxed the claim to Ford for approval. Two hours later the service advisor says Ford denied it saying no warranted part could cause that and was my fault!.WTF! Then says I would probably have a better chance of Ford taking care of it if I took it back where I bought it!!!!! What difference does that make? So i drive across town to MY dealer and reexplained everything again..So this time MY dealer performed a diagnostic test to see what happen. Well they could find anything. Another two hours later denied again. This is Friday afternoon and getting late so they gave me a loaner and said that they would keep trying...Saturday they call saying it will be Monday but don't expect Ford fixing it. This is BS.... Six month old truck with 6000 miles and cost $52,000. I googled it and this is not that rare. I made a list and this is the 22nd Ford I've owned since 1985...I swear if they don't fix and make it right it will be the last! I really hope that doesn't happen. Any ideas? I'm sure that would be expensive replacement....If you look at the Line-X decal you can see it's burnt! That's how HOT it got! How is that not their problem????
Attached Thumbnails 6 month old truck rear window EXPLODES....Ford says not their fault-zz.jpg   6 month old truck rear window EXPLODES....Ford says not their fault-z.jpg  
Old 01-29-2017, 06:05 PM

Received 48 Likes on 30 Posts

Any idea what caused it? Rear window defroster?

Where do you live? Is it hot there?
Old 01-29-2017, 06:09 PM

I'd say it probably was from the defroster somehow due to the heat spots on the decal. It was cold that morning but not frosty... I don't believe I turned any defrosters on.
Old 01-29-2017, 06:15 PM

Received 59 Likes on 38 Posts

So when they say denied they don't give a reason or a cause?
Old 01-29-2017, 06:16 PM

I just read some other threads on this. Some say if the dealer submits as faulty electric circuit, Ford has paid for the repairs. Good luck....that sucks and seems really dangerous.
Old 01-29-2017, 06:22 PM

Received 362 Likes on 231 Posts

Same thing happened on my 2013 when I had it. I was over 36,000 miles but my Ford ESP extended warranty took care of it.
Old 01-29-2017, 06:24 PM

The dealer said Ford stated that No warranted part could have caused that...what ever that means.... MY dealer did run a electric diagnostic test but didn't find any thing wrong..
Old 01-29-2017, 06:24 PM

Received 180 Likes on 124 Posts

Heat does make objects expand. Unless you did something to modify your rear window, that has to be a defect. If the rear defrost was on and heated the glass hot enough, it could expand enough that it fails at the weakest point, which is the rear window. What were the conditions like this occured?

Companies brush people off to easily, it is even worst if you are one of the first that falls victim to the issue. My wife had an oil return line rupture and siezed her engine. We were even out of warranty, what made me livid was how ramped the issue was. We ended up having a shop replace engine. A few months later they recalled the part that failed, as the part that.failed was recalled, they reimbursed us for about 95% of the cost.

As you are under warranty and the customer, it is your job to be the squeeky wheel. Approach Ford from multiple directions and repeat. Engage via forum reps, dealerships, and directly.
Old 01-29-2017, 06:31 PM

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

Holy s😵😵😵, I hope that doesn't happen with a baby in the backseat!
Old 01-29-2017, 06:43 PM

Exploding rear windows, doors that won't latch.....c'mon Ford, someone is going to get seriously hurt and it's most likely going to be a child. The media needs to know about these things....nothing like some really bad press to get the boardroom's attention.

I'll be happy to contact the Washington Post if that will help.