Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

6" lift vs. 3" coilovers ? Help.

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2015, 03:22 PM

Received 36 Likes on 5 Posts
Default 6" lift vs. 3" coilovers ? Help.

My brain is smoking from trying to decide which way to go. Both lifts are for appearance only. As of now I am scheduled to have a 6" Zone lift install on 3/27, but now I am having second thoughts. Both options have pros and cons. Pros of 6" great look, more tire clearance for offroading if I go. Cons of 6" lift it's permanent, expensive, possible ride quality, not sure, mpg and can't fit in my garage. 3" coilovers pros, can fit in garage, can be removed, cheaper. Cons, personal opinion doesn't look as cool as 6" lift,wheel rub if offroading. Now you guys see what I mean, anyone with a 6" unhappy they did and anyone with. 3" coilovers unhappy didn't go higher?
Old 02-26-2015, 03:37 PM
Ryan

Received 81 Likes on 43 Posts

I just had the same internal battle with myself as you. Even had the same pro's and con's list lol. Honestly, it just depends what you're going to do with your truck and what you ultimately are going to be happier with. Personally, if you have even the slightest doubts about a 6" and you aren't sure you're going to like it, don't do it because once you cut that sub-frame there is no going back...

For me, I wouldn't look back...so I'm going with the 6". Again it goes back to what look you're going for. You can run 35's with the right size wheels with 3" coils so from a tire size standpoint you're not gaining all that much with the 6" other than retaining factory steering and CV geometry
Old 02-26-2015, 04:00 PM

Received 369 Likes on 201 Posts

i love the look of a 6" with 37" tires, but its just impractical for a daily business truck, and i really hate the ride with tires that big. i also like the OEMish look so the coilover/block route makes me happy. a zone kit is actually cheaper than a mild suspension lift after u add all the pieces.

6" zone kit is about $1600 i think
3" coilovers -$900, UCA $600, rear block and shocks $400

with the 3" you will get superior parts with an improved ride, but it wont look as cool or "offroadish" if thats a word haha.

if my truck wasn't used for work, i would do a 4" subframe drop lift with coilovers and 35's. best balance of looks and performance IMO
Old 02-26-2015, 04:05 PM

cell phone pic, but this is coilovers set at 2.8" with 35" tall tires...and it definitely "looks" lifted when u see it in person or driving. so its not really that mild

The following 2 users liked this post by dubsesd:
Ryan... (01-28-2017), Sam O (01-16-2020)
Old 02-26-2015, 08:30 PM

Received 23 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by dubsesd
i love the look of a 6" with 37" tires, but its just impractical for a daily business truck, and i really hate the ride with tires that big. i also like the OEMish look so the coilover/block route makes me happy. a zone kit is actually cheaper than a mild suspension lift after u add all the pieces.

6" zone kit is about $1600 i think
3" coilovers -$900, UCA $600, rear block and shocks $400

with the 3" you will get superior parts with an improved ride, but it wont look as cool or "offroadish" if thats a word haha.

if my truck wasn't used for work, i would do a 4" subframe drop lift with coilovers and 35's. best balance of looks and performance IMO

Dubs hit it exactly with this comment. I have already contacted BDS and asked about their 4 inch lift and was it possible to use it with the Fox 2.5 coilovers that are available for the BDS 6 inch lift. The tech said yes, just need to adjust the height of the coilovers for the 4 inch lift. It is a more expensive way to go but I think the best. You get the ride and handling of the Fox 2.5 coilovers with a BDS lift kit.
Old 02-26-2015, 10:49 PM

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by dubsesd
cell phone pic,
If this is a 'crappy' cell phone pic, you should post a tutorial thread and help everyone learn how to create such beautiful pictures. Truly amazing photography skills you have.
Old 02-27-2015, 06:49 AM

Default Dubs is truly a man of many talents.

Dubs, thanks for willingness to assist us all as an active participant in this forum, guys like you are why these forums work. In your post about costs, what is the $400.00 UCA?
Old 02-27-2015, 06:50 AM

I meant UCA $600.
Old 02-27-2015, 07:52 AM

Upper control arms. Not nessacary but beneficial component helping reduce the angle from spindle/knuckle to the UCA. I don't have them installed yet but something I will probably do in the future
Old 02-27-2015, 08:51 AM
Ryan

Received 81 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by mjf6175
[/B]

Dubs hit it exactly with this comment. I have already contacted BDS and asked about their 4 inch lift and was it possible to use it with the Fox 2.5 coilovers that are available for the BDS 6 inch lift. The tech said yes, just need to adjust the height of the coilovers for the 4 inch lift. It is a more expensive way to go but I think the best. You get the ride and handling of the Fox 2.5 coilovers with a BDS lift kit.
This is exactly what I'm doing. Like Dubs said, if you've got the coin, its the best of both worlds. All you need to do is order the 6" BDS Coilover kit with the 4" rear block. You may need to turn the front coils down about 1-1.5" depending on your truck. But BDS says its safe to dial them down the full way with no adverse affects on ride or payload. If you ask people with this kit, they'll tell you the ride is actually better with them slightly turned down anyway. You gain a little more 'up' travel
The following users liked this post:
dubsesd (02-27-2015)

Quick Reply: 6" lift vs. 3" coilovers ? Help.