Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4x4 Check Valve Malfunction

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2019, 04:11 PM

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Default 4x4 Check Valve Malfunction

I have a 2017 F150 Lariat 4x4. This is the second time I’ve had it in the shop for a clunking noise coming from the front end. Sounds like it’s coming from the drivers side. Can’t feel it in the steering or the floor board.
Both times Ford says it’s the check valve for the 4x4 malfunctioning. Replaced it the first time and I didn’t even get a mile from the dealership when it started making the noise again. Drove it a little more to see if I could better pin point the area the sound was coming from. Today on the way home from town - made the sound again. Called Ford. Told me to bring it back. They now say the new check valve ain’t gettin enough vacuum to work properly. It’s now sitting there waiting on another new check valve to come in tomorrow for them to change. Again.
Have you dealt with this or dealing with this? How did you fix it?
Old 04-22-2019, 04:15 PM

Received 271 Likes on 183 Posts

A quick search would reveal that this has been covered time and time again. The check valve is a common failure, lots of people carry a few around in their glove box. They are cheap and easy to replace if one fails.
Old 04-22-2019, 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by rngtrtl
A quick search would reveal that this has been covered time and time again. The check valve is a common failure, lots of people carry a few around in their glove box. They are cheap and easy to replace if one fails.
glad to hear it’s an easy fix. I did try the search first, like I always do before posting. It wasn’t working for me on my phone. I’ll try again once I’m on my laptop to see if I can find answers.
Old 04-22-2019, 05:49 PM
Village Sociopath

Received 10,073 Likes on 6,507 Posts

Hmm, not getting enough vacuum?
Let's try something, the next time it starts grinding, which is what it sounds like when not "enough" vacuum to the IWEs, throw it into either 4A, or 4H, see if goes away. I suspect, if it is a vacuum problem, the new updated checkvalve would have taken care of it. You could have vacuum leaks in a hose, connector, IWE.
When does it make the sound. Accelerating? Uphill?
Please make a signature with more truck details. It'll help us, help you.
Old 04-22-2019, 08:21 PM

Received 1,040 Likes on 653 Posts

Originally Posted by johnday
Let's try something, the next time it starts grinding, which is what it sounds like when not "enough" vacuum to the IWEs, throw it into either 4A, or 4H, see if goes away. I suspect, if it is a vacuum problem, the new updated checkvalve would have taken care of it. You could have vacuum leaks in a hose, connector, IWE.
Don't forget the solenoid. That was the most common failure before. At least it was before August of 2017 when I had my issue. Those were the solutions I was finding. Never a mention of the check valve.
The following users liked this post:
johnday in BFE (04-22-2019)
Old 04-22-2019, 08:42 PM

Received 436 Likes on 342 Posts

Hmm, not getting enough vacuum? Let's try something, the next time it starts grinding (throw it into either 4A, or 4H, see if goes away)
Well, that'd just tell us there's nothing wrong with the IWEs, but not where the vacuum issue is . It could be the check valve, the solenoid, the vacuum reservoir, or some other vacuum leak, all the way to the booster. Since the OP already replaced the check valve, chances of being defective right off the bat are very low, so I'd buy the vacuum reservoir that already comes with the new check valve AND the soleniod. And it only costs like 20 bucks, so you kill all 3 potential birds with 1 stone. Good luck.
Old 04-22-2019, 09:24 PM
Village Sociopath

Originally Posted by elptxjc
Well, that'd just tell us there's nothing wrong with the IWEs, but not where the vacuum issue is . It could be the check valve, the solenoid, the vacuum reservoir, or some other vacuum leak, all the way to the booster. Since the OP already replaced the check valve, chances of being defective right off the bat are very low, so I'd buy the vacuum reservoir that already comes with the new check valve AND the soleniod. And it only costs like 20 bucks, so you kill all 3 potential birds with 1 stone. Good luck.
I'm trying to find out if it is indeed the IWEs grinding, and having a hard time correlating a clunk with a checkvalve problem. Very well aware of all the places a problem could be had, just starting from square one.
Old 04-22-2019, 09:33 PM

Hopefully when I get it back tomorrow, it will bye fixed. If not, then I will start trying to diagnose the problem myself. I'm no mechanic which is why I came here. lol I'm hoping it was a bad check valve they got in.
It was making the sound the most at slow speeds below 30 mph. Never at the same time or same speed. Sometimes it would do it on deceleration and sometime on acceleration. A couple times I thought I could hear it while at highway speeds (65+) but it was faint and wouldn't last long at all.
Old 04-22-2019, 09:41 PM
Village Sociopath

Cool, I see you got your sig up. That always helps.
Yes, please let us know what was done, I'm not totally sold on it being a problem with the IWEs/vacuum. Could be, but a bit more troubleshooting can be done.
Not to go off topic, but is your truck Ruby Red with the PTMed 5 bar grille like mine?
Old 04-22-2019, 09:54 PM

No Sir it ain't. It's Magnetic Grey with a Chrome front grill.
When I brought it in, I thought it was a u-joint goin out. Thats what kinda thunk I heard. lol Shows how much I know....����*♀️

Quick Reply: 4x4 Check Valve Malfunction