Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is 4x4 Auto needed and is the special edition package worth it? Who has one?

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2017, 02:18 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Is 4x4 Auto needed and is the special edition package worth it? Who has one?

Hey all! New to the forum and figured I would chime in! I have been lurking these thread for awhile as a guest and figured I would ask some questions. I am also from Pittsburgh and see there are a few member here that posted things about Pittsburgh. Funny coincidence!

So, I am speaking with a dealer out of state on one of their left over 16's that is a Super Crew XLT Special edition. MSRP is $48440. They are offering it up to me at $37000, final price. Then add tax title, ect.

My only problem is that the XLT does not offer 4x4 Auto, which I feel I would use a lot since I am in a snow and hill/mountain area. Only the Lariat and above gets you that. I dont like leather one bit! Nor can I afford the Lariat.

Never had a truck before, but do to things changing in life I need one for the utility. I like the 2.7 because it will be a suburb truck going back and forth to work, towing a 3500lb boat and some light construction. Thats about it. So, looks and feature mean something to me. I have driven my dads old truck which is a 03' GMC and that even has 4x4 Auto. So I dont know why a new $49k truck wouldnt have that feature. Anyone really use it or no? my Suv is AWD so never had to worry about it. The 4x4 Auto is the only reason I would even look at GM trucks. I like the Ford the best.

Now onto the Special Edition package. Is it worth it for the blacked out lights, red seat covers, red stiching, seatbelts, and nice rims? I dont know, but I do like the look! Anyone have a SE and wish they didnt pay the extra for it?

I know its all subjective and its what I like, but wanted to see if anyone in the north east has had struggles without a 4x4A button, weather it be on the highway or going over certain speed during snow conditions.
Old 02-06-2017, 02:27 PM

Received 65 Likes on 38 Posts

i have a 2016 Lariat SE with the 502a, tech package, power running boards and moonroof.

i live in a snowy climate and have basically put it in 4A and left it there all winter. i used to have a 2014 XLT and i definitely do not miss that truck at all.

do i wish that i didn't pay extra for the black LED headlamps, the red trimmed leather interior, the 4A, the bells and whistles? not a chance. i love my truck and if i had to do it all over again, i would add the ACC option to it. Park assist is not something i would ever use so i would not pay extra for that.

here she is the day i picked her up. i've since added a few things though.
Attached Thumbnails Is 4x4 Auto needed and is the special edition package worth it? Who has one?-not-funny-truck.jpg  

Last edited by sunofabeach; 02-06-2017 at 02:30 PM.
Old 02-06-2017, 02:28 PM

Received 38 Likes on 18 Posts

My $.02 ... 4x4 Auto is a must have. In snow once the roads have been plowed, you end up going on and off good pavement. Without AUTO, you have to manage that in real time by switching from 2h to 4H manually. My current truck does not have it. PITA.
Old 02-06-2017, 02:33 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sunofabeach
i have a 2016 Lariat SE with the 502a, tech package, power running boards and moonroof.

i live in a snowy climate and have basically put it in 4A and left it there all winter. i used to have a 2014 XLT and i definitely do not miss that truck at all.

do i wish that i didn't pay extra for the black LED headlamps, the red trimmed leather interior, the 4A, the bells and whistles? not a chance. i love my truck and if i had to do it all over again, i would add the ACC option to it. Park assist is not something i would ever use so i would not pay extra for that.
Ya, the Lariat SE is insanely nice. I am in love with those seats. I just cant afford it. The cheapest used one I have seen was $42k with 16k miles.

I can actually get a 15' Lariat Sport, but its a supercab with 9k miles for $33k. I need a crew cab. I also hate that ford has the suicide door on the Supercab. They need to give it a separate handle like every other manufacture. Thats my main draw away from the Supercab.

I started a family this year and the 4x4A is a big worry I guess.
Old 02-06-2017, 02:56 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I bought a '16 2.7 XL. I do miss the auto 4WD in my previous SUV. I could fly up and down snowy hills with no issue. Granted, it was a primary front wheel drive system, which helps a lot in maintaining control up hills, but still.

Without a lot of weight in the rear, it doesn't take much (read: hardly any) with all the torque of the ecoboost to get the rear end to kick out going up a snowy/icy hill. And like VIZSLA said, manual 4WD is a PITA when you're dealing with intermittent slick areas.

In summation, try and afford it. If you can't, just be prepared to finesse the truck up/down slippery hills and going slower than you'd like. OR, leave it in 4H, go slower and make sure all your tires have nearly identical wear to reduce drive-train binding on the dry parts.
Old 02-06-2017, 02:58 PM

Received 5,989 Likes on 3,553 Posts

Turning a **** is pretty easy... Never had 4A, wouldn't pay much for it. All the SE items are to your taste - I think blacked out lights look awful, LEDs worse.
The following users liked this post:
last5oh_302 (02-06-2017)
Old 02-06-2017, 03:09 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Auto 4wd is the reason I went with a Lariat. I am not sure why Ford doesn't offer it on the XLT level ( Well besides to get people to get into a Lariat and pay more ). Power fold mirrors is the other. My garage is tight and to not have to get out to fold in the mirrors is nice.

I am not a fan of the leather seats either. My dads truck has leather and we are hunters and sooner or later ( His case sooner ) they get scratched, where the cloth I think holds up better to somewhat sharp objects.
Old 02-06-2017, 03:10 PM

Received 143 Likes on 84 Posts

I have the auto setting on one of my two F150's and while it is nice, it really isn't that big of a deal turning the **** when you need it. If your like me when you start out on your drive you already have a pretty good idea if your going to need the 4wd. If things get worse as your driving it just takes a second to turn that ****.
I feel like most of the auto stuff is for people that expect the truck to do all the thinking for them. I am perfectly capable of deciding when I need 4wd. If the truck has everything you want except for that I would go for it if it was me.
The following 2 users liked this post by freman dave:
last5oh_302 (02-06-2017), Ricktwuhk (02-06-2017)
Old 02-06-2017, 03:29 PM

Received 482 Likes on 304 Posts

Originally Posted by Vizsla_Buddy
My $.02 ... 4x4 Auto is a must have. In snow once the roads have been plowed, you end up going on and off good pavement. Without AUTO, you have to manage that in real time by switching from 2h to 4H manually. My current truck does not have it. PITA.
Not really. The road is usually wet or still has a skim coating after it has been plowed, it isn't like it's clean and dry. 4wd is fine on that, no need to switch in and out of 4wd and by no means is it a PITA even if you do switch in and out. 4A not needed.

Then again, I like driving, I'll be last in line for a self-driving car and I'll be kicking and screaming the whole way. ABS? hate it. Can stop faster (and still straight) without it if you have any ability at driving (of course, ABS doesn't help you stop faster anyway, only straighter). Traction control? My right foot is all the traction control I need.
The following users liked this post:
ns_redneck (02-06-2017)
Old 02-06-2017, 03:42 PM

Received 398 Likes on 344 Posts

4a is nothing I would worry about having.